Dental Hygienist career?

Started by james07
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

james07

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I recently started looking into this career field and I was wondering if there are good chances for advancement in this field?
 
The problem with dental hygienists is that there are only part-time jobs available. At least, around where I live. If you're looking to do it full-time, you'll have problems finding a place that will hire you.
 
The problem with dental hygienists is that there are only part-time jobs available. At least, around where I live. If you're looking to do it full-time, you'll have problems finding a place that will hire you.

I'm just curious, where do you live? I live in Portland, Oregon (medium sized city, population = 575,000; Metropolitan = 2-3 Million) and there are hygienist jobs everywhere. Even if you would like to work for two doctors and work 6 days a week it seems very possible, since there are quite a few Dentist that are also open Friday-Monday.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I agree with Pasta that in that I question the "part-time only" idea. I have a good friend who's sister is a dental hygienist. She loves it, makes bank, and works good hours. I think she works four days a week, probably 9ish hour days. Full benefits, and I think her salary is $65K+. She does have a BS in dental hygiene, though. Many people get a 2 year associates/certificate. I'm sure the BS ups her pay grade a good bit.
 
The average salary for a Dental Hygienist in Seattle is $70,000-$80,000 and that is usually only working four 9 hour shifts a week. You could definitely make more if you got an extra day or two in. The northwest is somewhat expenses but really not that bad at all, especially if you live in the suburbs. Its a pretty good gig.
 
I'm just curious, where do you live? I live in Portland, Oregon (medium sized city, population = 575,000; Metropolitan = 2-3 Million) and there are hygienist jobs everywhere. Even if you would like to work for two doctors and work 6 days a week it seems very possible, since there are quite a few Dentist that are also open Friday-Monday.

Very, very close to a school that has a dental hygiene program.