Dental knowledge interview questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dentite24

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do interviewers tend to ask many questions that question your dental knowledge during interviews?

Like, do they ask specifics of processes, procedures, instruments, technology, etc... (to see how well you know dentistry)?

Members don't see this ad.

Didn't come up a single time during my interviews, I wouldn't stress about it

Reactions: 1 user
My brother said that he was asked a few questions about specifics and the processes of procedures. But, this might have been because he worked as a dental assistant for a couple years and they were curious about how much he learned from his experiences.

Members don't see this ad :)
Lol, due to the law and policy reasons, they won't ask you about procedures. You kidding me? That's actually an admission of guilt right there in regard to what you can and cannot legally do as simply a "pre-dent" in a dental office. Just tell them that you weren't allowed if they start probing; the interviewers at these schools should know better than that.

Lol, due to the law and policy reasons, they won't ask you about procedures. You kidding me? That's actually an admission of guilt right there in regard to what you can and cannot legally do as simply a "pre-dent" in a dental office. Just tell them that you weren't allowed if they start probing; the interviewers at these schools should know better than that.

I think they mean your favorite procedure to observe or assist with, not actually do lol. Since applying to dental school requires shadowing hours, they might want to know how much you've learned by WATCHING

Reactions: 1 users
I think they mean your favorite procedure to observe or assist with, not actually do lol. Since applying to dental school requires shadowing hours, they might want to know how much you've learned by WATCHING

Don't contradict yourself when you get to the interview, pre-dent. That doesn't look good.

Do interviewers tend to ask many questions that question your dental knowledge during interviews?

Like, do they ask specifics of processes, procedures, instruments, technology, etc... (to see how well you know dentistry)?
I didn't get asked anything like that during my interviews.

Yeah, that's what I meant haha

Don't contradict yourself when you get to the interview, pre-dent. That doesn't look good.

How is that a contradiction? I'm currently working as a dental assistant so I am able to ASSIST with root canals, fillings, etc but that doesn't mean I actually DO them, that's the dentists job. Quit jumping to conclusions. That doesn't look good.

Reactions: 1 users

This is a public forum, relax. He's asking a sensible question and because his wording was a bit off you are biting his head off. The guy did nothing wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 5 users
This is a public forum, relax. He's asking a sensible question and because his wording was a bit off you are biting his head off. The guy did nothing wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Thank you for this!! Not sure why some people respond to criticize every little word. To clarify, I'm not OP, I was just simply stating that if admissions officers do ask about procedures (they probably won't), you can respond by reflecting on your observations as a shadow or your experience as a dental assistant (if you have any). Obviously you're not going to have experience actually doing any dental work as @Craig_Sherwood234 assumed. Either way, OP, I wouldn't stress about it! Just make sure you can show how passionate you are about the profession and you'll be fine!

Reactions: 2 users
I was actually asked about procedures at a few different interviews. That and even dental materials questions such as amalgam vs composite, etc. I wouldn't say it is too far fetched to expect one, especially if you have a lot experience or have been a dental assistant.

I worked as a dental assistant and I haven't been asked a single question regarding dentistry, lol. Like others have said, it really depends on the school and also the faculty member interviewing you.