Dental Lab

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kenniemd

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just did some shadowing at a dental lab to see what they do and possibly get a job, but from what I saw, they don't have the time or space to train from scratch. Has anyone successfully worked at a dental lab without having to go thru the 2-yr program? BTW, there isn't one in Maryland .

Also, is it better to work in a lab where all the waxing and stuff are done, or to work as a dental assistant and learn the actual procedures?

(P.s. For those of you who might advise us to spend the summer at the beach, I have bills to pay so why not work in the field)

Members don't see this ad.

I have read that working in a dental lab will help you more for dental school. Since, you'll pre-learn a lot of the skills you'll need for d school classes.

From my experience, you need a bit of luck finding a job in a dental lab. Training a technician requires involvement, patience, and material. And for the kind of work it takes time for a newbie to ramp up to a more experienced/independent level. They may want to do it if you promise long term commitment to their lab, in which case it is not possible.

On the other hand, if you tell them that you will likely practice around the area after graduation, they may want to get acquainted with you and show a few things to you.

Without these, it will be difficult for them to justfy, and I guess you may have an easier time finding an assistant's job.

Good luck

Members don't see this ad :)
I would be wary about getting a summer job in a lab. Most of the time when you first start out you are just a stone monkey pouring up impressions all day. A job like that wouldn't really help you out that much for dental school, it can also be very boring.

I started working in a dental lab my senior year in high school and continued for about 4 years. I started out with model work and then moved into waxing/casting/finishing. They trained me from scratch. I am not in dschool yet but I am sure it has exposed me to much of what I'll see when I get there.

I'm sure dental assisting and dental lab work both to a good job of exposing you to dentistry but its two related but completely different sides. Looking back I think assisting would have been more advantageous. I don't know many dentists that work up their own models or crowns. It's just not something you will do much of as a dentist. I think the exposure to dental procedures you would get assisting is more important in the long run.

This may be a late reply, but...

I started observing in the dental lab that makes the crowns/bridges/dentures for the dental office I'm a Dental Assistant at. About a week into that, I got the entire process down pretty well, so the owner asked me if I wanted to try my hand at metal grinding (after it was cast). I tried that for a while (probably a few days), and so he moved me up to porcelain grinding. About 2 or 3 weeks after that, I was placed in charge of the new cases; I'd clean them up, pour out the solid and working models, and then I'd trim them. I tried some waxing, but felt that I was more productive doing other things, LOL...so I stuck with other jobs.

I'm being "trained" in the porcelain buildup, but its a long and complicated process, so I don't think I'll be getting the hang of that for a while yet.

All in all, the entire "training" took me about 1.5 to 2 months (not including porcelain buildup) of first watching the people work, then practicing on easier cases (simple PFM crowns) and then moving up to harder cases (3- or 5-unit bridges).

It's really a fascinating process, if you ask me. I never knew what went on in the lab, that's why I asked to observe there first. It's an experience everyone tells me will help with my hand skills in dental school, so I highly recommend it to everyone!

Work as an assistant, no brainer and alot more relevance for helping to decide which dental area you may want to specialize in (if any). Plus, the dentist would likely give you extra attention (almost to the point of a mentoring role) if he/she knows you're soon off to dental school. And who knows, that may even turn into a practice opportunity for you when you've graduated from dental school:wow: :clap: :D