Dental lab

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ThNeal

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey has anyone worked in a dental lab that could drop some knowledge on me? I just wanted to know what YOU actually do, my dentist said he could get a job this summer in a lab and I was curious to see what people's experiences are!!?

Thanks guys!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey has anyone worked in a dental lab that could drop some knowledge on me? I just wanted to know what YOU actually do, my dentist said he could get a job this summer in a lab and I was curious to see what people's experiences are!!?

Thanks guys!
I work in the prep room of the crown and bridge department at my lab. I pour models, grind models, read rx, paper work for incoming cases, I've learned about a lot of different materials, I trim preps, mark margins, I pour dies, I make duplicates for white wax ups, I set bites, articulate bites, and probably more that I just can't think of right now. I do all of this for cases involving implants and partials as well.

I literally feel like I learn something new every week and I've worked there for almost two years. No case is the same and you have to learn to recognize when an order from a Dr. might not work. Since I'm pre-dental my boss has made a point to teach me as much as he can. I've gotten chances to observe other departments when we're slow. There's a department that scans in the trimmed preps to mark the margins in a computer and the porcelain people.

It's seriously the best job ever. If you can find a job at a dental lab I would recommend taking that over a job assisting a Dr. I've assisted before and working in the lab teaches you sooo much more. I know that I won't actually be doing this much lab work in school or my office someday but the background knowledge I believe will only make me a better dentist.

Reactions: 1 users
What qualifications did you need to work in a dental lab? Are there certificates or something you have to have?

Members don't see this ad :)
I work in the prep room of the crown and bridge department at my lab. I pour models, grind models, read rx, paper work for incoming cases, I've learned about a lot of different materials, I trim preps, mark margins, I pour dies, I make duplicates for white wax ups, I set bites, articulate bites, and probably more that I just can't think of right now. I do all of this for cases involving implants and partials as well.

I literally feel like I learn something new every week and I've worked there for almost two years. No case is the same and you have to learn to recognize when an order from a Dr. might not work. Since I'm pre-dental my boss has made a point to teach me as much as he can. I've gotten chances to observe other departments when we're slow. There's a department that scans in the trimmed preps to mark the margins in a computer and the porcelain people.

It's seriously the best job ever. If you can find a job at a dental lab I would recommend taking that over a job assisting a Dr. I've assisted before and working in the lab teaches you sooo much more. I know that I won't actually be doing this much lab work in school or my office someday but the background knowledge I believe will only make me a better dentist.

Wow what a response! You got me quite excited. Was it hard to learn to do this type of stuff? I have plenty of shadowing hours and stuff but I have never actually done anything dental before! Did you pick up the crowns etc. right away??

I have called several labs to request an opportunity to shadow. Before getting a low paid position, I shadowed a few times until I convinced the lab manager to take me on 1 day a week polishing dentures. I am learning a lot, however, much of it goes over my head at this point. As far as certificates go they are certified, and attend special training programs to sit for their certification exam. These guys are highly skilled, and are trusted heavily by dentist to do things that dentist have forgotton or are unwilling to do since dental school. I beleive that this experience will give you EXCELLENT hand skills.

I have worked in a dental lab like lexa_m and I have to agree with her post for the most part. You will definitely learn a lot from lab work and you really build hand skills. I have to say that dental assisting does have its place and I recommend an equal amount of both. The lab work exposes you to a lot of the background work that goes into creating prosthetics and you will learn a lot about dental materials, anatomy, and much more. However, dental assisting is where you learn the more interactive side of dentistry I would say. This is where you get to learn the patient-doctor interactions, procedures, and much more. Both have their place and like I said, do both equally and it will put all of dentistry together.

Reactions: 2 users
Nicely said @flossboss24 , I didn't mean put down assisting like it may sound, they are both different but beneficial.

I didn't need any sort of certification, they just trained me as I went along. It took me a good few months until I was able to really feel confident in the lab.

Reactions: 1 user
I would do the dental lab job. You won't be doing much of it when you're an actual dentist because that's what labs are for, so it'll give you an appreciation towards those that do it for you. It'll also show you a different side of dentistry that you don't see very often. You'll see the things assistants get to see the rest of your career (duh?), but not much of the lab side.

Not to mention , you will become proficient at setting teeth, trimming die stone, waxing up teeth, etc... before dental school

I have worked at DT Technologies. It has been a great learning experience while I worked with highly experienced professionals in the laboratory. I was responsible for fabricating fixed and removable prostheses according to the dentist prescriptions. I have also worked on correcting dental irregularities by manufacturing fixed or removable fixtures.