dental lab

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dental

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
do you recommend working in a dental lab before attending dental school?
how did you go about finding openings? i've called about 10 labs and no luck.
are there volunteer positions or just employment positions?

Members don't see this ad.

definitely. many dental students will tell you that the lab work can be their most tedious and difficult experience. it's one of those subjects where it just takes practice. i just started working in a lab. dental lab technicians are tradesmen. in other words, many were just taught on the job. there are 2 year programs, but that isnt really for us predents. i was fortunate enough to have a friend that new a good lab, willing to teach. maybe it would be best not to ask for a job, but rather, just ask them to train you without pay. sort of like shadowing a dentist. if you end up doing work that increases their income, there's a good chance they'll end up paying you. look for small labs that are quality oriented, not large quantity labs.

Reactions: 1 user
fella's,
I don't want to intrude on your dialogue, but if you don't mind, can someone fill me in on what exactly are "Dental Labs" and how would you contact them if interested in obtaining useful experience. Thanks in advance! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I would definately agree with ehop on the above comments, I think it is very beneficial, as you really learn a lot from working in there. I am glad that ehop is going towards the right direction, and I am sure he will be a good dentist.

very few dentists in our country do their own lab work. when they prescribe a crown, bridge, dentures, etc, they send an impression of the area to a dental lab. the dental lab technician creates a wax model of the crown, makes it into a cast mold, and fills the mold with molten metal (gold, etc.). the metal piece is then either coated with porcelin or finished for return to the dentist. the process is time consuming, and it requires great precision. wherever there are dentists there are dental labs.

Ehop is right on the ball and very fortunate to be able to work in a lab prior to matriculation, it seems like any lab exposure will be very advantageous and give you a leg up on your classmates.

This is my first post, so I am glad its on a topic I actually have some experience in. I am a CDT (Certified Dental Lab Tech) and I have been working in an Air Force dental clinic for the last few years and will be starting dental school this fall. Our clinic has about 24 Docs, with each specialty represented plus an AEGD residency(which are usually Docs fresh out of school). This basically means I have had a very large pool of dentists to share their dental school experiences with me. Hands down without exception, they have said that dental lab experience would have been invaluable in dental school. First, you get to work on your manual dexterity. Second, you learn a lot about dental anatomy/terms/materials. Finally, and probably most importantly, the better you are in lab- the less time you spend in lab- the more time you have to study! That being said, its really just one of many ways you can better prepare for DS. As far as where to get experience, government installations are a definite possibility. Specifically, military installations and VA hospitals usually have volunteer programs which are run by the American Red Cross. If this doesn't work(as the other posts mention) there usually is a commercial lab somewhere that would be happy to trade training for manpower. I hope this helps and I wish you all good luck on your dental school journey! :)

great info!
thanks

I am a Certified Dental Tech and owner of a full service lab with a sub-specialty in complex implant restorations.
Have been for 35 years, My son just got into Oral/Max. program in Philly. Feel free to send me any questions or issues to [email protected]