Dental license through DPH residency for foreign trained dentists

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jp9

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hii, I'm a foreign-trained dentist. Does DPH residency allow you to practice clinical dentistry in the US? If yes, then which states? Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Hii, I'm a foreign-trained dentist. Does DPH residency allow you to practice clinical dentistry in the US? If yes, then which states? Thank you.
Ignore the last replies. There are many states that give you a license after a DPH residency, since it is a Accredited specialty. VA, TN, MS, TX, etc all give you a license. But the real issue is that you will NOT be clinically ready and getting a decent position (except maybe a DSO) can prove to be a challenge. I’ve known friends who did a DPH for a license and then a GPR for the experience. Look through the state board rules of the state you are interested in. Best source of information.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ignore the last replies. There are many states that give you a license after a DPH residency, since it is a Accredited specialty. VA, TN, MS, TX, etc all give you a license. But the real issue is that you will NOT be clinically ready and getting a decent position (except maybe a DSO) can prove to be a challenge. I’ve known friends who did a DPH for a license and then a GPR for the experience. Look through the state board rules of the state you are interested in. Best source of information.
Thanks for info.

Ignore the last replies. There are many states that give you a license after a DPH residency, since it is a Accredited specialty. VA, TN, MS, TX, etc all give you a license. But the real issue is that you will NOT be clinically ready and getting a decent position (except maybe a DSO) can prove to be a challenge. I’ve known friends who did a DPHy for a license and then a GPR for the experience. Look through the state board rules of the state you are interested in. Best source of information.
I honestly think that you can always find great mentors in private practice. No student knows everything on graduation day. You need to surround yourself with great dentists who are willing to share the things that are not in the books. There is so much to learn!!

I honestly think that you can always find great mentors in private practice. No student knows everything on graduation day. You need to surround yourself with great dentists who are willing to share the things that are not in the books. There is so much to learn!!
The question of the OP was about how to obtain a license, not about actually gaining clinical experience, although I added a comment on not being ready after a DPH residency. But ,, I am curious. How do you surround yourself with great mentors? Some want to help, but most just don't. And why rely on clinical practice to gain experience when you can get that experience in a clinical residency like a GPR or AEGD?

I personally went to the AEGD, and PASS and take lots of CE every year. The best knowledge I have gotten has been from mentors. People who I can talk to about experiences that I have had and openly and honestly discuss. Some of those people I have found in private practice.

The question of the OP was about how to obtain a license, not about actually gaining clinical experience, although I added a comment on not being ready after a DPH residency. But ,, I am curious. How do you surround yourself with great mentors? Some want to help, but most just don't. And why rely on clinical practice to gain experience when you can get that experience in a clinical residency like a GPR or AEGD?
Regarding the license, my State allows licensing if you spend some years with a mentor in private practice

DPH = Dental Public Health specialty. According to the ADA, foreign-trained dentists must complete at least 24 months of study at an accredited American dental school certified by CODA. These 24 months can be in any recognized specialty, including DPH, a program leading to a DMD or DDS, or at least 24 months in a continuous residency program in GPR or AEGD. However, the acceptance of these programs varies by state. For example, Florida does not accept specialties but does accept AEGD and GPR, while Texas does not accept AEGD or GPR but will accept a specialty like DPH. Ideally, obtaining a DMD or DDS is preferable to avoid limitations on licensure. In some countries like Brazil, dentists graduate with significant hands-on experience, making a DPH sufficient for licensure. However, some states, like Florida, have had issues with dentists lacking practical skills despite completing specialty programs, such as DPH and Radiology.