Dental Loupes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

predent2024

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know there is no right or wrong answer to this topic but I wanted to reach out for some opinions regarding Loupes.

Today, designs for vision came by the school and gave us a presentation. After the presentation we were able to try on different magnifications and styles.

I really liked their Micro Expanded Field loupes. I tried both the 3.0 and the 3.5 and liked them both. Both are the same price.

Should I just bite the bullet and go with 3.5 and start learning with those? It may be a little more than I need now but I really do not want to have to buy another pair later down the road if I don’t have to.

I’ve gotten a good mix of current dental students and practicing dentists telling me different things. Some swear by 2.5, other swear by 3.0 or 3.5, some do not recommend the expanded field while others do.

Any input is appreciated!

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I've got 2.5's and I was happy with them until I entered clinic. If you plan on doing general, get 3.5+ prisms

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I started off with 2.5SF from DSV, upgraded recently to the 3.5EF and the difference in detail that I can see now makes me realize how much I was missing out; when you do work under a higher mag you can be confident that it is precise because you can see it. When you get into the simlab make sure you have a good ergonomic position (11 o'clock if right handed, 1 o'clock if lefty) and a good finger rest position; with proper overhead lamp positioning and your light from your loupes you should be able to see and do most of your restorative work well and without shadows obfuscating your field of view.

3.5x and in your career you’ll only go higher

Reactions: 1 users
I have the 4.0x prismatics from Q-Optics. Very light weight and fov is around 1/3 of an arch.

Reactions: 2 users
3.5 is my vote!
expanded field is a plus I don't have that!

You will need a second pair by the graduation time

If you're the type that needs some bling in your life, there's this.
IMG_0153.jpeg

Graduating soon, buying a second pair of loupes - 5.5x. I would not buy anything under 3.5x.

Reactions: 1 users
Personally and majority of my school goes with 3.0, more than fine. Its all a matter of preference!

I have the Q-optics 3.5x prismatic and they're great. Go with the 3.5x, if not higher (I personally didn't have any issues learning how to use the loupes, despite what many had advised- if you just use them enough you'll figure it out). I quickly realized that 3.5x was fine for restorative, but as nowhere near enough for endo.

Hi getting my first pair of loupes too and I pretty much decided on TTL. Due to the limited choice of dealers I have in my country, I have marked down to Zeiss TTL 2.5x, Univet TTL 3.5, Zumax TTL 3.0x and Lumadent TTL 3.5x (to purchase and ship from online instead of contacting local dealer). Would greatly appreciate the advice on which is better based on you guys' experience on these. I know most of these might seem remotely unfamiliar with that's why greatly in need of feedback. Thank you in advance !

Hi getting my first pair of loupes too and I pretty much decided on TTL. Due to the limited choice of dealers I have in my country, I have marked down to Zeiss TTL 2.5x, Univet TTL 3.5, Zumax TTL 3.0x and Lumadent TTL 3.5x (to purchase and ship from online instead of contacting local dealer). Would greatly appreciate the advice on which is better based on you guys' experience on these. I know most of these might seem remotely unfamiliar with that's why greatly in need of feedback. Thank you in advance !

Get the Lumadent 3.5x (prismatic/expanded field) I'd recommend their Unilux light as well

anything but orascoptic. go for 3.5x or greater. anyone with 2.5x is crazy

Orascoptic didn't just send me loupes with the wrong prescription... they sent me a pair that had absolutely no magnification whatsoever. I might as well have worn gas station sunglasses to work. Orascoptic was extremely unprofessional and unapologetic. I was getting yelled at by faculty for not wearing my loupes... because I had to send back the nonfunctional loupes before they would send me new ones