Dental loupes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chaka1988

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Im looking for dental loupes. What brand should I get?
also, do you think the dental loupe's light are useful? I dont understand those people who spend around $800 on this light. Isnt dental chair light sufficient for agood vision?

Cheers

Members don't see this ad.

You absolutely should get a head light. It will make dentistry easier and more comfortable for you, and it will increase the quality of your work.

The operatory lights don't compare at all. The head light is brighter and more importantly it is pointed in the same direction as you eyes. This means there won't be shadows and that you can see into narrow spaces (like all the way to the apex of a root canal).

I use one and it is well worth $800, but it cost me less. Check out http://ultralightoptics.com/ for a cheaper one that works well. I use their model.

Also, remember that magnification increases your need for light. Finally, I recommend as much magnification that you can get in a lightweight loupe. Usually that is 3.5x.

If I take loupes with 3.5x magnification, the field of view will decrease, wont it? Also I am only in my second year of the dental studies, so what loupes do you advise me to get (what brand, mag,ttl or flip).

Cheers mate

Members don't see this ad :)
i use heine flip-up loupes with 2.5x mag. i like the flip-up kinds 'cause it gives you the option of not looking through your loupes when you don't want to. Also, be careful when you go into too much of magnification at once. Usually you increase the magnification powers as the years go by, and you will be very "blind" when you don't use loupes or when you use less-mag loupes. so i would start from 2.5 and see if you NEED more mag, not start from the 3.5, 5x, etc. hope it helps!

I use the oroscoptic 2.5x mag with the headlamp. Titanium frames are pretty light. As a practicing dentist, they are like an Amex card....don't leave home without it.

Everyone will tell you different things about loupes and what's worth it. I would wait to see some in real life at a convention (if possible) or if your school sets something up. You can then get a bunch and try them for a month and see how you feel.

Personally I use Designs for Visions 2.5x. DFV only makes through the lens scopes and the customer service at my school is pretty good. I'm not really disappointed, as it was a somewhat quick decision (and price was a pretty big factor at that time). I will, however, look for another pair of loupes before I graduate and see if something else is better. Take advantage of student discounts while you can!

I personally went with 3.5's in dental school DFV and loved them. I just bought a pair of DVF 6.0 for endo. you absolutley need a light for these. Once you get a light you never want to practice without one.

I personally went with 3.5's in dental school DFV and loved them. I just bought a pair of DVF 6.0 for endo. you absolutley need a light for these. Once you get a light you never want to practice without one.

Did you make a typo or are these two different brands?

Did you make a typo or are these two different brands?

Yeah thats a typo they are both Designs For Vision with the ugly Buddy Holly frames.

Hi all,

I wear glasses. Does this mean I have to use the clip-on loupes? The loupes that come with their own frame, those frames aren't designed to also be able to go over my glasses, are they?

Thanks.

also, do you think the dental loupe's light are useful? I dont understand those people who spend around $800 on this light. Isnt dental chair light sufficient for agood vision?

Cheers

$800? Wow, thats expensive! Out here in India, I havn't seen a single dentist using em. If so many guys aren't using it, is it not because the dental chair light is enough? Or may be dentists here in India still live in the stone age :p

i've also never seen a dentist using a light. .02

Hi all,

I wear glasses. Does this mean I have to use the clip-on loupes? The loupes that come with their own frame, those frames aren't designed to also be able to go over my glasses, are they?

Thanks.

You can get bigger frames to go around your glasses (sports-type frames), or your prescription lens in the loupes and glasses. I don't have experience with this b/c I don't wear glasses... maybe someone else can chime in!

Members don't see this ad :)
I, like many of my classmates, didnt want to put out over a G on loupes off the bat. So we ordered Medlite loupes. B/c we ordered as a group, we got a great discount. I paid $325 including s/h for 3.5x prismatic loupes Flip-up. I LOVE 3.5x and b/c it's an expanded field, you dont lose anything off the field of view. weight wise, i've never had a problem...maybe it's b/c i'm always working out, which strong neck and shoulder muscles:confused: my only quam is i feel as though my view is slightly darker than when i look with the naked eye. my professor told me that with increased mag, this can happen, soo... before graduating, i'd def want to upgrade to a higher quality, like orascop.

go cheaper if your not sure about this whole loupes thing, get a feel for them, then upgrade when the time is right...and b/c these are flip-up, you can sell them to someone who has the same working distance as you:thumbup:

1.) Oakley flip-up loupes are complete garbage.

2.) Dentists have been competent for eons without the use of a tramp lamp.

After 25 years of practicing without loupes I bought a pair of oroscoptic titanium frames 2,5x with the lite. Completely worth the money. I see things now I never saw before and it will improve your dentistry, especially endo 10 fold. The lite is so great that I almost never need the chair lite anymore, and the frames are very comfortable.

I got my loupes after the majority of the class had gotten theirs. I got the Surgitel Oakley Radar frames with 3.0 mag (Galilean). Many if not most of my class started at 3.5x or higher.

No one can tell you what kind of loupes to get. You have to try on different styles and brands and find what you like. People all have different opinions about which brand is best, but it is all subjective, really.

In terms of the light, I also have the ultralight optics light, which is fantastically small and lightweight, but powerful. I got it before I bought my loupes, and it made a HUGE difference for me on my restorative lab final since we were doing composite restoration and can't use the overhead lamp (well, at least not at my current skill level) but could use the headlamp with composite filter.

I personally feel the light is worth the extra expense, and I gladly paid extra for the Oakley frames. Obviously not everyone agrees with me.

In terms of prescription, you can get just about any frame with prescription lenses so that you just wear the loupes instead of trying to fit something over your glasses.

My 2 cents: I looked around for a while and tried a lot of different loupes on, and I decided on the Surgitel TTL (through the lens) 3.5x prismatic loupes in the Oakley Half-jacket frame. Here's my reasoning: I wanted to go 3.5x, because after sitting down with them, I felt like 2.5x wasn't enough (that's just my personal preference though) With the 3.5x, I went with the prisms because of the wider field of view. It makes a huge difference. It was very easy to get used to, and I never have problems related to the field of view now. Because I wanted prisms, I went with Surgitel because they are the smallest/lowest profile/lightest 3.5x prisms that I found. And i got the Oakley Half-jacket, not because they look cool, but because they were by far the most comfortable on my face (this differs from person to person, I'm sure, so you really just have to try on a lot of different pairs.) Also, with the half-jackets, it still gives you a surprisingly good field of view when you aren't looking through the loupes. I went with TTL because I just wanted something that I could put on and go. No adjustments, no loose parts, no messing around. Put it on and go. I've been using my for 6 months now, and I am VERY happy with them. No problems at all. They are pricey though, I payed around $1600. It's a lot of money, but I wanted something that I knew I would be happy with. I didn't want to settle for something for now, and decide that I want something different later. This is just my opinion, but I feel like magnification is essential. It's possible to do dentistry w/o it, but good magnification makes a big difference. Bottom line: Try on a TON of different pairs. See what you like best. Everyone is different. Most of the well know brands will be fine. Like I said though, I'm VERY happy with my choice.

Cheers

Most people get the loupes without the light and operate just fine without it. But, once you get the light, you wonder why you didn't get it earlier. I love having a light mounted to my loupes. Plus, I love that I only paid ~$68.00 for my light set up. Yes, $68. I bought a good quality, very bright headlamp from Frye's Electronics. I modified the mount and attached it to my Surgitel Oakley flip-ups. I shimmed it so that the light is directed exactly at my focal point. PLus, with my set up, I can modify the focus of the light and also the intensity of the light. it works great. All this for under $70!!!!

If you can afford a light, you won't regret it. Look around. There are other light systems that cost a lot less than $800.

I have been using Designs for Vision 3.5 magnification. Absolutely love 'em. I don't find it a problem at all to look over the top of the loupes for normal vision.

I don't buy into the "you're reducing your field of vision" stuff all that much. I can see the tooth I'm working on great as well as the proximal teeth. I am usually not that worried about what is going on in the next quad over at that time. I DO recommend that when you give shots you don't look through your loupes (at least not until the needle is about to penetrate) as classmates have been known to nick a lip on the way in if you're staring at the injection site the whole time.

If you just want to give them a try or have a backup set for different magnification, Rose Micro http://www.rosemicrosolutions.com/ has some very competitive prices. A classmate bought some higher powered ones for endo from them and says they've been worth the money. They also have a pretty cheap light for about $120 if you want to try that out as well.

I have been using Designs for Vision 3.5 magnification. Absolutely love 'em. I don't find it a problem at all to look over the top of the loupes for normal vision.

I don't buy into the "you're reducing your field of vision" stuff all that much. I can see the tooth I'm working on great as well as the proximal teeth. I am usually not that worried about what is going on in the next quad over at that time. I DO recommend that when you give shots you don't look through your loupes (at least not until the needle is about to penetrate) as classmates have been known to nick a lip on the way in if you're staring at the injection site the whole time.

If you just want to give them a try or have a backup set for different magnification, Rose Micro http://www.rosemicrosolutions.com/ has some very competitive prices. A classmate bought some higher powered ones for endo from them and says they've been worth the money. They also have a pretty cheap light for about $120 if you want to try that out as well.

I checked out that website, and you're about the prices. Are the of lesser quality when compared to the other brands? I know you said your classmate said they were worth the money, but is it worth the extra money to go with the other brands? Input from anyone on this would be great.

Most people get the loupes without the light and operate just fine without it. But, once you get the light, you wonder why you didn't get it earlier. I love having a light mounted to my loupes. Plus, I love that I only paid ~$68.00 for my light set up. Yes, $68. I bought a good quality, very bright headlamp from Frye's Electronics. I modified the mount and attached it to my Surgitel Oakley flip-ups. I shimmed it so that the light is directed exactly at my focal point. PLus, with my set up, I can modify the focus of the light and also the intensity of the light. it works great. All this for under $70!!!!

If you can afford a light, you won't regret it. Look around. There are other light systems that cost a lot less than $800.

The H7 led lenser? I have the same set up but it cost me closer to $200 once you factor in the mounting accessories, composite filter, quality rechargeable batteries, and stuff to extend the wire length.

Still a good deal!

Hup

The H7 led lenser? I have the same set up but it cost me closer to $200 once you factor in the mounting accessories, composite filter, quality rechargeable batteries, and stuff to extend the wire length.

Still a good deal!

Hup

Yes. But the only thing I don't have is a compostie filter. $42 for the headlamp and another $26 for the supplies including the cell phone carrying case for the battery pack. I already had the batteries. I am not sure how you could have spent $200. I'll take my $68 set up over the $200 any day!

I checked out that website, and you're about the prices. Are the of lesser quality when compared to the other brands? I know you said your classmate said they were worth the money, but is it worth the extra money to go with the other brands? Input from anyone on this would be great.

I talked with my buddy today about them. He actually bought loupes from 3 places, DFV, Orascopic, and Rose Micro. He ended up returning all but the Rose Micro ones because he loved them and the price was the best.

I'd email them and see if they are visiting your school anytime or if they do student discounts. Our student prices were about an extra $100 off the listed prices on their site. Also, it's very common for students to tell the vendors that they are going to buy a couple different ones to try out for a month or two and the best ones for them will be kept and the others returned. None of my classmates that have done that have been stuck with a set of loupes that they can't return.

I talked with my buddy today about them. He actually bought loupes from 3 places, DFV, Orascopic, and Rose Micro. He ended up returning all but the Rose Micro ones because he loved them and the price was the best.

I'd email them and see if they are visiting your school anytime or if they do student discounts. Our student prices were about an extra $100 off the listed prices on their site. Also, it's very common for students to tell the vendors that they are going to buy a couple different ones to try out for a month or two and the best ones for them will be kept and the others returned. None of my classmates that have done that have been stuck with a set of loupes that they can't return.

Cool. Thanks for the info.

Are you still looking for loupes from Rose Micro Solutions?
If so, I can work with you. I have my own website and I am actually a direct dealer and a cousin to the owners.

Let me know if I can help you or anyone out with any questions.

I already discount them on my website, but we are always willing to work with our customers. The owners are at every dental show there is, because we don't advertise like the big guys, so our costs are low, so we can sell them to you low. Our quality loupes are becoming more well known because of word of mouth, and more dealers starting to sell them like me and people on forums who have experienced the quality of our loupes, and the inexpensiveness. Also, because we are a smaller company, our customer service is excellent, person to person.

Here is the site if you are interested
www.buffaloloupes.com
Feel free to contact me with any questions
Ask me about student discounts

( I am not sure if I can post the site, if not, feel free to remove it, and anyone interested, just Private message me for more info.)

Last edited:
Would you mind posting some pics of your setup? Or maybe a youtube vid? Im looking into buying a headlamp and I heard the H7 is a great light but its charge only last 2 hours on full power. Im curious to see what you used and how you modified it to work for us dentists.

Yes. But the only thing I don't have is a compostie filter. $42 for the headlamp and another $26 for the supplies including the cell phone carrying case for the battery pack. I already had the batteries. I am not sure how you could have spent $200. I'll take my $68 set up over the $200 any day!

Hey,

Can anyone comment about DVF's customer service vs. Surgitel's?

I got a pair of Surgitel loupes, but I'm not sure that they are right for me. I picked them out originally because they were the lightest in weight on my face.

I also have gotten the impression that customer service is not so great. They don't seem to care.

Hey,

Can anyone comment about DVF's customer service vs. Surgitel's?

I got a pair of Surgitel loupes, but I'm not sure that they are right for me. I picked them out originally because they were the lightest in weight on my face.

I also have gotten the impression that customer service is not so great. They don't seem to care.

They worked with me without any hassle. My first pair just didn't seem right. They sent out a second pair (slightly different model). In the end I returned both and promptly got a full refund. Not saying the product was bad (just didn't work with my situation), but the customer service was great.

I just ordered the Oakley Radar 3.0x loupes from surgitel. Our salesman has been great and has given great service so far. I havn't dealt with any technical problems yet, but they definetly seem like they care and have promised to work with me through any problems.

I just ordered the Oakley Radar 3.0x loupes from surgitel. Our salesman has been great and has given great service so far. I havn't dealt with any technical problems yet, but they definetly seem like they care and have promised to work with me through any problems.
What's a ball park cost for those? What made you go with 3.0x? I've seen other students with 2.5-3.5 or so

Just under a thousand dollars. I believe Surgitel only has 2.5x and 3.0x before you get into thier prism line which is about $400 more, and did't seem worth it for me. The 3.0x had great magnification, quite a bit more than the 2.5x did. And the field size was really good. I am really looking forward to getting them in.

What about Carl Zeiss Eyemag smart?

Has anyone tried them or tried any Carl Zeiss product?

One of the biggest issues that many folks that get what ever brand loupes you want with an Oakley Frame in a TTL configuration, is why they may look "cool", the can present a problem, especially in folks with larger heads. The ear extensions of the Oakley's are fine, however the flexibility of the lense itself can present a BIG problem with the TTL setting. If when you put the frame on, it flexes to accomodate your head size, you may very well have just thrown off your intra-pupillary measurement enough to cause issues with your field of vision focus which can lead to extra eye fatigue/headaches/etc. :eek:

There's a reason why for many an experienced dentist, the oakley's they may own are just for recreational and not clinical use:idea:

When I ordered my Oakley Radars through Surgitel, they took a measurement of how wide my head was where the ear extensions will sit. They are using the measurement when they make my loupes to make sure they don't have that issue. I will let everyone know if it goes well. If it's off they will adjust them until they are correct and will give me loaners, but thats a pain to wait for repairs. I am hoping they come to me wirking well.

i have the oakley half jacket TTLs, they work great.

Hi, how much are you paying for it>
thanks

When I ordered my Oakley Radars through Surgitel, they took a measurement of how wide my head was where the ear extensions will sit. They are using the measurement when they make my loupes to make sure they don't have that issue. I will let everyone know if it goes well. If it's off they will adjust them until they are correct and will give me loaners, but thats a pain to wait for repairs. I am hoping they come to me wirking well.

Just under $1000 for Oakley's with 3.0x magnification.

I think Heine has the best optic out there. The 20 inch working distance is great. I know you're all thinking that 20 inches is really far, but the depth of field of the loupes is about 10 inches (unreal). I never have any blurring issues like some of my classmates. They don't use theirs as much because they sit at different distances for different procedures and their orascoptic, DFV, medlite, etc. has a much shorter depth of field. The clarity and brightness is also the best I've seen. It's just a really easy pair of loupes to learn on and I can't imagine ever wanting a differnt brand (maybe some TTL high mags from orascoptic for endo down the road, one I know how I work for those procedures). If your like 5'7-8" then maybe get the 16" working distance. But I'm 5'10" and the 20" working distance is killer. Only bad thing about Heine is that their LED light leaves something to be desired. The ultimate set-up IMO would be the Heine loupes with a Feather Light from Ultralight Optics. These lights will probablly be a little more than the deal your rep can give you with the matching brand light that fits your loupes (also Feather Light can fit any brand loupe). But if you don't mind an extra hundred or so more, the feather light system beats them all. I wish I had one. The reps were just at our school and it blew me away.

This is just my opinion from what I've experienced, I'm not trying to say that other peoples loupes suck. Some people are just easily offended on this board.

Peace

I originally had 2.5x radar's from surgitel flip ups. I thought they fit really snug on my head but personally had a lot of issues with fogging and the clarity wasn't the best when doing indirect vision for some reason (could just be because it was flip ups). Anyways, switched over to Orascoptic and got the 2.5x (which the rep told me is actually ~2.8x) Rudy project flip up TTL and have been amazed ever since. I just did a Class V today with crystal clear vision and no fogging! I highly recommend! :thumbup:

Hi all,

Thanks.

If you wear glasses like me, then you should choose loupes that can accommodate corrective lens in frame.

And about a light, I have purchased Sheervision Firefly Infinity in d-school a while back because you will have difficulty getting adequate lighting from chair light to do for example, deep DO prep on #3 or molar RCT (esp. Maxillary ones).

Well I got my Sirgitel Radar 3.0x's and I love them. Can't wait till the next operative lab day so I can put them to some good use. They are going to need to be adjusted slightly to get them just right but the rep said that it should be easy. I just need to get the two fields to line up perfectly, I want the to be perfect. But they are clear, lightweight and look great.

Last week a rep from STAC Loupes came to us and I finally purchased a 2.5x flip up style from them. It was an attractive deal with their student discount program.
Earlier I was little apprehensive about using loupe. Some say in our school, we must use loupe and some say we shouldn't
I thought I should share my experience in today's lab.
First I felt little uncomfortable wearing it. After an hour I did not feel wearing any thing.
I felt my hand were steadier than other days as the image was very clear and sharp.
I use to get stressed out after 3-4 hours of work. Today no such feeling.
I am falling in loving with my loupe.

Hi all,

Thanks.

I have the Orascoptic GEM Class II (2.5x) loupes with my prescription in them and I absolutely love them. Had them for 5 years and have never had a problem with them. Even bought a second pair without the prescription in them for when I wear contact lenses.

Does anyone have advice on the best universal light for loupes?

EyeMag Smart loupes from Carl Zeiss provide optimum image quality at 2.5x magnification. The compact design of the optical components as well as the versatile adjustment possibilities promote comfortable working conditions and intuitive operation. EyeMag Smart loupes are a reliable partner for your day-to-day treatment.