Dental mission trip extractions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dentite24

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone been on or heard of experiences from dental mission trips?
I'm looking to do one hopefully next year in the spring or summer to gain extraction experience. Dental school nowadays do not give you good surgical experience at all, so I'm hoping to get some good experience on a trip like this before doing a GPR. My only issue is price. The one I was looking at is like $7,000 for a week to Guatemala, and has extraction CE lectures... This was surprisingly high; I thought these were much cheaper since you are doing loads of free work.

Is there any specific trips to look into that are much cheaper and give great extraction experience??

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
If you are a typical dental student, forget the mission trip until after your GPR.

1) Can you really afford $7000 right now?
2) After you have some extraction training under your belt you will actually be an asset on a mission trip.
3) Make sure you can do difficult extractions in a proper clinical setting before you try to learn in a primitive setting.
4) "Going Off Half Chocked" is bad for you and the patient. No matter wither the patient is a Guatemalan or a US Citizen.

Reactions: 3 users
i would check if it is even legal to do extractions. I'm not pre-dental but i have experience with these trips and i always warned students about writing about doing extractions in apps/essays.

with that said, i have heard that global medical training dental trips are awesome and have a ton of hands-on stuff for the pre-dental students. and it is definitely a lot cheaper than 7k. not sure if they're doing trips during the pandemic tho, doubt it

Well I'd be just graduated from dental school when I want to go on this trip, so I believe it would be legal and by 2022 summer should be okay to do these trips

Members don't see this ad :)
Well I'd be just graduated from dental school when I want to go on this trip, so I believe it would be legal and by 2022 summer should be okay to do these trips
im sorry disregard everything i said i thought this was the pre-dental forum

If you’re trying to do this between graduation and GPR don’t waste your time or your money. You will get plenty of extraction experience at your GPR, that’s what it’s for. $7K is more or less 15% of your annual GPR salary, it’s not worth it.

Reactions: 1 user