dental residencies

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Scotty6278

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just curious about 2 things regarding dental residencies. First, how long is the training for ortho after dental school? I am thinking 2 or 3 yrs. Secondly, are dental residencies paid positions like a medical residency is? As far as I can tell most are not paid. Any feedback would be great. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

ortho is usually from 30 to 36 months.
ortho residencies do not pay, nor do any other non-hospital based residencies.

GPR's do pay. Some Pedo's do pay.

I think OMFS pays.

I dont think Endo pays.

Dont know about the others....

Along the lines of what Jone mentioned, it has typically only been hospital-based residency programs that have paid. Those have been GPR, OMS, and some pedo.

These things are constantly changing however.

Members don't see this ad :)
There are actually some pros residencies that pay as well.

A good majority of all residencies including perio, endo, ortho, pros, etc pay money to their students. It is not GME money but money from the institution for teaching the dental students in clinic or something along those lines. The amount of money varies alot and is usually not as much as a GME supported residency however you are able to get healthcare coverage.

Originally posted by DBEAR
A good majority of all residencies including perio, endo, ortho, pros, etc pay money to their students. It is not GME money but money from the institution for teaching the dental students in clinic or something along those lines. The amount of money varies alot and is usually not as much as a GME supported residency however you are able to get healthcare coverage.
I don't believe "a majority" of the residencies pay, as you mentioned. Sources?

Aph: Look at the ASDA postgrad book. They publish one every year. Go to their web site and I am sure you can order one. There is 3 volumes. Vol. 1 is OMS. Vol. 2 is all other specialties. Vol. 3 is AEGD and GPR. These books outline almost everything that you want to know about each program at each school including stipend. In there you will see that the majority of Perio and Pedo have stipends as well as about half of endo and ortho. Most of the stipends are under 10,000 a year but I guess every little bit counts.

dbear- once you start really investigating programs themselves, you will realize that the ASDA post-grad guide books have more mistakes in them then correct info...that was at least true of the 2002 and 2003 oms versions...even school websites are usually not updated enough and laced w/ incorrect info...best way is to contact indiv. programs directly

The only info in the 2002-2003 Specialty edition (the one with all the specialties except OMS) that was still correct by the time I started applying last summer was the name of the program (no joke). Program directors changed, addresses and phone numbers were incorrect, number of positions available changed and the stipend part was horribly off b/c GME disappeared for many endo/ortho/perio/prostho programs this year.

ASDA updates those guides every 2 years, so there should be a new edition this year.

However, I'd still encourage you to purchase the ASDA guides if you are an underclassmen and interested in seeing what's out there. It's really the only comprehensive info available, besides the AAPD (pedo) and AAOMS (oral surgery) websites. I used the GPR/AEGD one to get a basic start to locating and visitng programs in NYC, an area I didn't know anything about. I used the specialty book to see what programs were out there and which ones I would consider applying to.

I'll be starting my ortho training this July in a program that pays a stipend, although from the stipend a percentage is deducted for tuition paid towards the MS degree. However, in the end, I still come out in the black and can live on what's left over after tuition. There are only two GME supported ortho programs in the country...I am attending one of them. However, as I mentioned in a previous post, the investment is well worth it.

Originally posted by DBEAR

Less than a handful of perio, endo, ortho and pros residencies pay. That hardly constitutes a majority, much less a good majority.

Just about every pedo residency pays a stipend, with many schools/programs completely eliminating tuition as well. For the anally retentive who need proof, feel free to visit www.aapd.org.