Dental School Advice Needed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LoveYourDentist

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm in need of some advice... I'm a junior in college, biology major, chem minor. My overall GPA is about a 3.0 and my science GPA is about a 2.8. I will be taking the DAT this year. I know my GPA isn't good enough to get into dental school (even with a great DAT score). Knowing all that, has anyone done a one-year non thesis masters program? I've read many forums with alternative options, however I don't want to spend an additional two years taking classes before I apply to dental school. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

You know how I know you didn't read a bunch of forums? Because there are hundreds of people on this site talking extensively about taking non-thesis masters.

You could just get 4.0s all the way out and probably be in decent shape anyways.

You know how I know you didn't read a bunch of forums? Because there are hundreds of people on this site talking extensively about taking non-thesis masters.

You could just get 4.0s all the way out and probably be in decent shape anyways.

I said that I read many forums with alternative options... I didn't specifically look up non-thesis masters. I'm looking for other similar options. When you say "4.0s all the way out", you mean as in my senior year?

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes I mean your senior year. 4.0s will still jump that GPA up a lot because I bet you don't have many As right now.

I would turn that GPA around before even considering the taking DAT. If you can't even pull a 3.0 in science classes during a regular semester how are you going to perform during a semester in which you're studying for the DAT? Or on the DAT? Hate to sound harsh but if you can't handle undergrad science you should not be trying to sign up for a science intensive masters program (Or D school, for that matter). Prove to yourself that you can handle it first. If not then take some time off and reevaluate your study habits.

I had a 2.9 my junior year. (Damn, Gem Chem!!!) Got all A's senior year and raised my GPA to a 3.2. (It all depends on how many credits you have, the more credits, the harder to raise GPA) Got a 22 on the DAT and will be attending tOSU this fall as a dental student...it is doable. Don't give up.

Reactions: 1 users
I was told by my dentist, whom didnt get accepted his first time, to never stop trying. There are always ways to improve. For some, admissions come early because they worked hard in undergrad and EARNED high GPAs and DATs etc.. For some, with distractions such as work, family (necessary distractions), may have it a little tough. If I were you (and I am), I would consider enhancing your GPA through more coursework (MS, post-bac), and then improve the DAT. I interviewed at a few schools, and RESEARCH was pushed on me a bit. I was told that this will be increasing in importance in the coming years as far as requirements are concerned. Best of luck to you.

Reactions: 1 user
I agree with the above posts. Turn the GPA around, learn more science, and then take the DAT again.