Dental School and Debt

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted696582

I'm bored and I don't know if anyone's done this on the "Expensive Dental Schools" thread... (thanks @Panis et Circenses) (https://forums.studentdoctor.net/th...usly-expensive-dental-schools-thread.1223909/). I figure it's better than yet another "which school should I go to" thread. Not that those aren't interesting. As a warning, yes, SDN is obsessed with the cost of dental school. These threads pop up all the time, but I wanted to be a bit more in-depth. I've met a lot of other applicants who could care less about debt, but the dentists I've spoken to seem fairly appalled by current numbers.

As shown in that thread above, schools can put you at $400k in debt. This is because your loans are unsubsidized, and they start building up immediately. Never mind loan origination fees and tuition increases. Who knows how much tuition will increase each year? Who knows what interest rates will be on the loans you take out years from now? We'll assume 400k here, but there are certainly a lot of inexpensive in-state options.

400k of debt over a 25 year repayment plan at 6% interest (based on a combination of different loan interest rates) is $2600 a month. A modest dentist starting salary of $120000 is about 6k a month after federal and state income tax. Never mind licensing and other random fees. 6k - 2.6k = 3.4k a month left over. 15 years is 3.4k a month. 10 years is 4.4k a month. Just go here (http://www.bankrate.com/calculators/mortgages/loan-calculator.aspx) to check your situation out. There are also loan forgiveness programs. Look at those too and do the math. Some of them hit you with a massive tax bomb at the end.

If you want a house, the average mortgage for a 120k earner is around 1k a month (http://www.fool.com/investing/gener...average-americans-mortgage-payment-by-ag.aspx). That's 2.4k left over. Who knows what sort of house you want to live in though.

Here's the interesting part. Want a practice? Practice loans are usually 7-12 years. Loans can be 500k. That's 4.6k a month for 12 years. Banks will give you a year of interest-only payments, which would be 2k a month. That's $400 a month left over to live on that first year of your practice. Then you'd better start making lots of profit (http://www.dentistryiq.com/articles/2014/09/starting-a-dental-practice-how-can-you-afford-it.html). Not sure where the fancy car and dinners come in here unfortunately. These numbers are a bit bleak, and in some cases, financially impossible.

In-state tuition is a great thing. Just as there are exceptions both high and low to the 400k of schooling debt, there are exceptions to how much you'll make as a dentist starting out. Maybe more than 120k, maybe less. Maybe you specialize (this could increase your debt due to interest though). You should also make a lot more after your first few years practicing as an associate if you're competent. Your salary can skyrocket if you run your practice well. I guess the one thing you can say is that there are unknowns. What if your practice goes downhill? What if you injure your hands or back? What if a recession hits? I think the most important thing is to know what you're getting into and the risks involved with it. Know what your personal situation is, run the numbers yourself (very important - I'm just another pre-dent/dental student), and get an idea of what your life will be like so you won't be surprised one day. Maybe this makes some people feel better, but maybe it makes them feel worse.

I've also attached a guide to getting into dental school at the bottom for those who are just getting into the process.

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• Dental School Guide.pdf
    603.7 KB · Views: 246
Reactions: 10 users
I'm bored and I don't know if anyone's done this on the "Expensive Dental Schools" thread... (thanks @Panis et Circenses) (https://forums.studentdoctor.net/th...usly-expensive-dental-schools-thread.1223909/). I figure it's better than yet another "which school should I go to" thread. Not that those aren't interesting. As a warning, yes, SDN is obsessed with the cost of dental school. These threads pop up all the time, but I wanted to be a bit more in-depth. I've met a lot of other applicants who could care less about debt, but the dentists I've spoken to seem fairly appalled by current numbers.

As shown in that thread above, schools can put you at $400k in debt. This is because your loans are unsubsidized, and they start building up immediately. Never mind loan origination fees and tuition increases. Who knows how much tuition will increase each year? Who knows what interest rates will be on the loans you take out years from now? We'll assume 400k here, but there are certainly a lot of inexpensive in-state options.

400k of debt over a 25 year repayment plan at 6% interest (based on a combination of different loan interest rates) is $2600 a month. A modest dentist starting salary of $120000 is about 6k a month after federal and state income tax. Never mind licensing and other random fees. 6k - 2.6k = 3.4k a month left over. 15 years is 3.4k a month. 10 years is 4.4k a month. Just go here (http://www.bankrate.com/calculators/mortgages/loan-calculator.aspx) to check your situation out. There are also loan forgiveness programs. Look at those too and do the math. Some of them hit you with a massive tax bomb at the end.

If you want a house, the average mortgage for a 120k earner is around 1k a month (http://www.fool.com/investing/gener...average-americans-mortgage-payment-by-ag.aspx). That's 2.4k left over. Who knows what sort of house you want to live in though.

Here's the interesting part. Want a practice? Practice loans are usually 7-12 years. Loans can be 500k. That's 4.6k a month for 12 years. Banks will give you a year of interest-only payments, which would be 2k a month. That's $400 a month left over to live on that first year of your practice. Then you'd better start making lots of profit (http://www.dentistryiq.com/articles/2014/09/starting-a-dental-practice-how-can-you-afford-it.html). Not sure where the fancy car and dinners come in here unfortunately. These numbers are a bit bleak, and in some cases, financially impossible.

In-state tuition is a great thing. Just as there are exceptions both high and low to the 400k of schooling debt, there are exceptions to how much you'll make as a dentist starting out. Maybe more than 120k, maybe less. Maybe you specialize (this could increase your debt due to interest though). You should also make a lot more after your first few years practicing as an associate if you're competent. Your salary can skyrocket if you run your practice well. I guess the one thing you can say is that there are unknowns. What if your practice goes downhill? What if you injure your hands or back? What if a recession hits? I think the most important thing is to know what you're getting into and the risks involved with it. Know what your personal situation is, run the numbers yourself (very important - I'm just another pre-dent/dental student), and get an idea of what your life will be like so you won't be surprised one day. Maybe this makes some people feel better, but maybe it makes them feel worse.

I've also attached a guide to getting into dental school at the bottom for those who are just getting into the process.

Looking out for your peers like this...thank you!

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
If 400k of debt for a dental degree doesn't scare you then you don't have a sound grasp on reality.

Reactions: 18 users
Members don't see this ad :)
If 400k of debt for a dental degree doesn't scare you then you don't have a sound grasp on reality.

Look at all the excited people in the NYU + USC threads.

Oh and 400k is actually on the cheaper side of privates. Thats the nutso part.

Reactions: 9 users
Look at all the excited people in the NYU + USC threads.

Oh and 400k is actually on the cheaper side of privates. Thats the nutso part.
I figured I'd be conservative with the numbers just to highlight the dilemma.

Reactions: 1 users
Reactions: 10 users
"Dude are u telling me I won't be rolling in at least 200k a year right out of d school???? That must be wrong, a friend of the cousin of the neighbor of my uncle is making 500k and owns 19 penthouses as a dentist! :eek::bigtears::scared: "- SDN Predent

Seriously... that's how it is!

Best advice I got from a dentist I work with: "Go to the cheapest school." Apparently, where I work average dentist makes around $500/day. It varies a lot since associate dentists are paid a percentage of productivity.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Something good to ask current dentists is "would you do it again if you had to get in 400k or 500k of debt just for school?" No to mention older dentists had much, much, much less competition (less saturation) when they started out. They didn't have to buy a practice either. Anyone could start a practice with almost a zero percent failure rate.

Members don't see this ad :)
Something good to ask current dentists is "would you do it again if you had to get in 400k or 500k of debt just for school?" No to mention older dentists had much, much, much less competition (less saturation) when they started out. They didn't have to buy a practice either. Anyone could start a practice with almost a zero percent failure rate.

one dentist I shadowed said "NO"...they would go into business

The school I really want to attend which I live around the corner from currently will cost me about 330K according to their website. that scares the hell out of me. the other school in my state will require me to move out my home but will cost 280k according to their website...Im so conflicted right now lol

The school I really want to attend which I live around the corner from currently will cost me about 330K according to their website. that scares the hell out of me. the other school in my state will require me to move out my home but will cost 280k according to their website...Im so conflicted right now lol

This is a good problem to have!

what do you guys think of the "Pay As You Earn" loan repayment plan?

This is a good problem to have!
Is it? i still need to apply and obtain interviews. that's the real battle. I did have my qualification reviews by admission at my first choice school and was told to come and apply....im still skeptical though lol. skepticism is my weakness.

My real concern is generally understanding how to manage the debt and life style I will be forced to live with before i apply. I actually dont have ambition to live the "Doctor life style" but i want to have food constant in the fridge, atleast $200 personal money a month, and reserve money available for emergencies....i come from the poor lol

Is it? i still need to apply and obtain interviews. that's the real battle. I did have my qualification reviews by admission at my first choice school and was told to come and apply....im still skeptical though lol. skepticism is my weakness.

Oh my bad.

Last edited:
Those schools sound very New Yorkish lol. As with all schools you can chop off a good 40k off the total due to about 10k a year extra.

Oh my bad, I thought you were accepted and choosing from these schools.

Short-Answer:

I did calculations for you (see below). Here's the conclusion: After servicing your debt, you'll have $72,996 to live off of, put into savings/retirement, and enjoy. Sound good to you?

Long-Answer:
Well, let's do this math out. Say you get into and decide to go to the school that costs $280K.

Factoring in interest accumulated while you're in school, you'll likely be around $320K in debt by the time you graduate.

Upon graduation, you immediately refinance your loans to a lower rate. Let's say you get 4% fixed on a 15-year term. Your monthly payment will be $2,367. Your annual loan payment will be $28,404.

There are 240 work-days in a year, assuming you work a standard 5-day workweek. Let's say you take 2 weeks of vacation (10 work-days off). That leaves you with 230 work-days to earn an income.

Assuming you go the Corporate route and bring home $650/day (quite possible), you'll be making $149,500/yr pre-tax.

Now, let's say you live in a state like Colorado, which has an income tax that you pay in addition to federal income taxes. After Federal, FICA, and state income taxes, you'll have $101,400.

After servicing your debt, you'll have $72,996 to live off of, put into savings/retirement, and enjoy. Sound good to you?

Thanks. ill admit that sounds nice.... what about expenses you will occur as practicing dentist? also this maybe a noob question but will stanford and gradplus loan generally cover full cost of attendance?

Stafford and Gradplus does indeed cover everything. Stafford is 44k and Gradplus is infinite.

Reactions: 1 user
Stafford and Gradplus does indeed cover everything. Stafford is 44k and Gradplus is infinite.

thanks. i went through my undergraduate without learning about the loans because i didnt require them. im playing catch up now

Oh my bad, I thought you were accepted and choosing from these schools.

Short-Answer:

I did calculations for you (see below). Here's the conclusion: After servicing your debt, you'll have $72,996 to live off of, put into savings/retirement, and enjoy. Sound good to you?

Long-Answer:
Well, let's do this math out. Say you get into and decide to go to the school that costs $280K.

Factoring in interest accumulated while you're in school, you'll likely be around $320K in debt by the time you graduate.

Upon graduation, you immediately refinance your loans to a lower rate. Let's say you get 4% fixed on a 15-year term. Your monthly payment will be $2,367. Your annual loan payment will be $28,404.

There are 240 work-days in a year, assuming you work a standard 5-day workweek. Let's say you take 2 weeks of vacation (10 work-days off). That leaves you with 230 work-days to earn an income.

Assuming you go the Corporate route and bring home $650/day (quite possible), you'll be making $149,500/yr pre-tax.

Now, let's say you live in a state like Colorado, which has an income tax that you pay in addition to federal income taxes. After Federal, FICA, and state income taxes, you'll have $101,400.

After servicing your debt, you'll have $72,996 to live off of, put into savings/retirement, and enjoy. Sound good to you?
If you factor in opportunity cost, it becomes more complicated. An engineer could easily make more than$73,000. Then you also have to factor in the fact that the engineer has been working for 4 years while you were in college and hopefully saving. Since the repayment is 15 years, unless you significantly increase your production, it'll likely take almost 20 years for you to outpace the engineer with total earnings. This is not meant to dissuade people from pursuing dentistry. I'm just trying to warn people about going into too much debt and how it can erode your earnings. IMO the cheapest school is the best choice 9/10 times. Debt and interest will kill you even on a dentist's salary.

If you factor in opportunity cost, it becomes more complicated. An engineer could easily make more than$73,000. Then you also have to factor in the fact that the engineer has been working for 4 years while you were in college and hopefully saving. Since the repayment is 15 years, unless you significantly increase your production, it'll likely take almost 20 years for you to outpace the engineer with total earnings. This is not meant to dissuade people from pursuing dentistry. I'm just trying to warn people about going into too much debt and how it can erode your earnings. IMO the cheapest school is the best choice 9/10 times. Debt and interest will kill you even on a dentist's salary.

What if you don't want to be an engineer?

Excellent point.

Thanks. ill admit that sounds nice.... what about expenses you will occur as practicing dentist? ?

What expenses are you referring to?

I guess a good equivalent could be a physician assistant. you could easily rake in 100k before tax with only 60-100k cost of attendance. I contemplated this option because i have 3 PA school in my area however I generally dont like being in a hospital. the life would not be completely satisfying however it is my back up is everything else fails

Excellent point.

What expenses are you referring to?

can i assume there is none based on your answer? I was just wondering...I would like to get an idea of private practice ownership cost, insurance/malpractice stuff.

"Dude are u telling me I won't be rolling in at least 200k a year right out of d school???? That must be wrong, a friend of the cousin of the neighbor of my uncle is making 500k and owns 19 penthouses as a dentist! :eek::bigtears::scared: "- SDN Predent
wait is his name bill? cause i know that guy!

what do you guys think of the "Pay As You Earn" loan repayment plan?
so my opinion on it is that its a good way to start off. basically when you start working, you wont be raking in the big bucks because of speed and experience therefore you wont be making as much. once you feel like you have good speed and make enough...either switch it a fixed rate or go to a bank and get a loan at a lower rate. but be sure to change it back to the fixed rate cause if u make a lot of money...your pay as you earn payment can be larger than the fixed.

Then don't become an engineer. I'm only taking into account opportunity cost for the first 2 decades after college. If you extend it out, I'm sure that a dentist's lifetime earnings will outpace most engineers. Both are pretty nice professions though.

Then don't become an engineer. I'm only taking into account opportunity cost for the first 2 decades after college. If you extend it out, I'm sure that a dentist's lifetime earnings will outpace most engineers. Both are pretty nice professions though.
Probably. I think engineers make a lot more than people realize though. They can easily crack 150k+ with some experience.

can i assume there is none based on your answer? I was just wondering...I would like to get an idea of private practice ownership cost, insurance/malpractice stuff.

Those aren't mandatory expenses on a practicing dentist.

Last edited:
Probably. I think engineers make a lot more than people realize though. They can easily crack 150k+ with some experience.

Gotta account for the economy's boom and bust cycles though. Engineers, especially in oil and gas, are not resistant to layoffs.. Those are the ones that clear those type of figures; too bad their demand depends on what happens half way across the world, to some degree..
Not trying to counter your point, just pointing out another perspective...
There is something to be said for job security..

Reactions: 3 users
Usually owner dentists (based on what I have observed, and of course this will vary wildly) will pull in 450-500k or so and then they can usually assume to have around 65% overhead. The overhead includes paying staff, paying rent, buying materials for the office, malpractice insurance, etc.

Those aren't mandatory expenses on a practicing dentist.

If you're working for someone else, no practice ownership cost.
As far as malpractice insurance, many employers provide this for their employees as part of the benefits package.

Yup. Especially if you are classified as an "employee", not as an independent contractor.

Gotta account for the economy's boom and bust cycles though. Engineers, especially in oil and gas, are not resistant to layoffs.. Those are the ones that clear those type of figures; too bad their demand depends on what happens half way across the world, to some degree..
Not trying to counter your point, just pointing out another perspective...
There is something to be said for job security..
Yeah like you said it depends on the industry. I've been working with engineers the past 4 or so years in the aerospace industry, and if you can get your foot in there, you are good to go! Those guys mostly work on government projects (rock solid job security, there are guys that have been at the company for 40+ years), and they make a killing. Mechanical and electrical engineering also have pretty good job security.

Yeah like you said it depends on the industry. I've been working with engineers the past 4 or so years in the aerospace industry, and if you can get your foot in there, you are good to go! Those guys mostly work on government projects (rock solid job security, there are guys that have been at the company for 40+ years), and they make a killing. Mechanical and electrical engineering also have pretty good job security.

Thats a big key right there. Government and federal jobs and contracts are very difficult to land though, or so I hear...But most engineers I personally know are in the private sector, and they are not clearing 6 figures....They do well, but its not a guaranteed 6 figure path. Then again, they don't have 6 figure debt....

Thats a big key right there. Government and federal jobs and contracts are very difficult to land though, or so I hear...But most engineers I personally know are in the private sector, and they are not clearing 6 figures....They do well, but its not a guaranteed 6 figure path. Then again, they don't have 6 figure debt....
True that. I guess I work with some very lucky engineers. I guess there are a lot of physicists too (they're pretty interchangable in aerospace engineering).. But yea, they just work for the company, and most of them do very little to contract work, they are usually busy enough with the projects that the company picks up. Great job security, and pay.

Engineering isn't for everyone. I for one went to an engineering heavy highschool. I hated it so much.

You can talk about X job being better than Y job but it is all subjective. You do what you love (at a reasonable trade off). If I went ahead and had done an engineering major in college I would've dropped out after 1 semester.

Engineering isn't for everyone. I for one went to an engineering heavy highschool. I hated it so much.

You can talk about X job being better than Y job but it is all subjective. You do what you love (at a reasonable trade off). If I went ahead and had done an engineering major in college I would've dropped out after 1 semester.
The best job is one that you love doing.

That is very true. My dad, a civil engineer, only began breaking 6 figures these past couple of years after starting his own business. Before that, I remember him being laid off every winter for 3-4 months at a time when construction season slowed down. He was pulling in a fraction of what he currently makes despite having 30+ years of experience and doing full time work the 8-9 months he was employed. We were financially stable, but nowhere near 6 figures until he opened up his own shop. Now he gets completely swamped with work! Engineers are capable of making 6 figures, but it's far from being guaranteed even if you have decades of experience under your belt.

Reactions: 4 users
The best job is one that you love doing.
Very true. I also think the best job leaves you time to do other things you enjoy as well. Which is why dentistry is unique.

It's funny, most of the dentists I've spoken with say that they like dentistry and all, but ultimately they like the income and flexibility most because it allows them to do things they enjoy and spend time with family. One of them said that they thought dentists who are in love with pulling teeth and filling cavities were weirdos. Caught me off guard.

Usually owner dentists (based on what I have observed, and of course this will vary wildly) will pull in 450-500k or so and then they can usually assume to have around 65% overhead. The overhead includes paying staff, paying rent, buying materials for the office, malpractice insurance, etc.
So are you saying that owner dentists bring home around 150-170k pre-tax? That seems a a bit low, more like what an associate dentist with years of experience would make.

That is very true. My dad, a civil engineer, only began breaking 6 figures these past couple of years after starting his own business. Before that, I remember him being laid off every winter for 3-4 months at a time when construction season slowed down. He was pulling in a fraction of what he currently makes despite having 30+ years of experience and doing full time work the 8-9 months he was employed. We were financially stable, but nowhere near 6 figures until he opened up his own shop. Now he gets completely swamped with work! Engineers are capable of making 6 figures, but it's far from being guaranteed even if you have decades of experience under your belt.
Yup not all engineering fields are equal. Civil engineering is one of the worse paid engineering fields, but still doing really well relatively to everyone else

So are you saying that owner dentists bring home around 150-170k pre-tax? That seems a a bit low, more like what an associate dentist with years of experience would make.
More into the 170 to 220 range. On the lower end 150, but yeah I think 65% may be a little on the high side for overhead, some are able to get it down in the 50s

Numbers are a bit off. You might be limited to 500k if you open up shop in a super saturated area. Otherwise it shouldn't be much of a problem with some experience to produce 500k as the dentist alone. Then you also take into account your hygiene production. If you figure a somewhat modest 15ok (this can be much higher). You're then producing 650k as an owner. There is usually some loss in actually collecting payment. Figure you collect 90% of what you produce=585 k. 65% overhead is very high. 55% over head is more standard and the closer you can get to 50% you're doing great.

With those numbers your takehome pre-tax should be $263,250. Depending on the location of your practice, demand, and efficiencies there is considerable variation both up and down. These numbers though are somewhat conservative.

To compare, associates expect around 120k salary which is paid at a fairly unexciting 30% of production. That means to get your salary, your employer expects you to produce 400k of dentistry.

Numbers are a bit off. You might be limited to 500k if you open up shop in a super saturated area. Otherwise it shouldn't be much of a problem with some experience to produce 500k as the dentist alone. Then you also take into account your hygiene production. If you figure a somewhat modest 15ok (this can be much higher). You're then producing 650k as an owner. There is usually some loss in actually collecting payment. Figure you collect 90% of what you produce=585 k. 65% overhead is very high. 55% over head is more standard and the closer you can get to 50% you're doing great.

With those numbers your takehome pre-tax should be $263,250. Depending on the location of your practice, demand, and efficiencies there is considerable variation both up and down. These numbers though are somewhat conservative.

To compare, associates expect around 120k salary which is paid at a fairly unexciting 30% of production. That means to get your salary, your employer expects you to produce 400k of dentistry.
90% collections is way low. Everything else is reasonable for a relatively small practice.

Once you hit a certain level of production, the extra production doesn't require as much overhead (i.e. if you higher a associate, you don't have to pay rent twice, you don't have to pay office manager twice, etc.) But, I've looked at countless classified ads, and in a big city most practices for sale generate around 500k or under. Also, according to this link on Dental Economics, the average overhead is 74% actually. That seems pretty surprising. http://www.dentaleconomics.com/arti...ur-overhead-compare-to-national-averages.html

90% collections is way low. Everything else is reasonable for a relatively small practice.

True I tried to stay conservative.

Once you hit a certain level of production, the extra production doesn't require as much overhead (i.e. if you higher a associate, you don't have to pay rent twice, you don't have to pay office manager twice, etc.) But, I've looked at countless classified ads, and in a big city most practices for sale generate around 500k or under. Also, according to this link on Dental Economics, the average overhead is 74% actually. That seems pretty surprising. http://www.dentaleconomics.com/arti...ur-overhead-compare-to-national-averages.html

Interesting, I didn't realize that was the case.

So if I increase to 95% collections and increase overhead to your initial 65%: pre-tax take home $216,125