Dental School and having a family life

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TxDentalGal

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there!

In the last couple days I've kind of been thinking about dental school and the possibilites of starting a family while doing so. Right now I am a pre-dental student doing well in all of my classes and I'm definitely committed to doing the work that's required. I'm 23 now and by the time I finish dental school I'll be close to 30. I have a few concerns that are weighing heavy on my mind. 1) I've always wanted kids, but would it be too hard to have kids during dental school and still be able to do well? I don't want to be too old when I start having kids (especially since my man is 8 years older than me), but if I'm going to put all the work in for dental school I don't want to have kids during that time and hinder myself. 2) I know that dental school is crazy expensive, is the cost of school going to cause a lot of financial stress on my relationship and will it be something that takes me forever to pay back? I know this is what I want to do with my life, I just don't really have anyone who has been through the whole process before to talk to so I'm hoping I can get some good advice here!

Thanks!
Haley :D

Members don't see this ad.

You asked about a few different things here so I will try to explain my situation and maybe it will help you (or not). YES, there will be financial stress but what else would you expect from having a six figure debt (just like most other dental students). You refer to financing and the time to pay it back. Keep in mind there are a couple of other things at play here. You will be accruing additional expenses after school if you open your own private practice. This means you will be paying back the student loans as well as the additional financing you take out to open an office. That does not include life expenses such as a mortgage (or rent), the cost of a child (which you also ask about as well but will get to that next), and usual living expenses (food, utilities, car note if you have one, food, etc). So in most situations it will take some time to pay back EVERYTHING but as a dentist you should have a sufficient income to accomplish this plus you refer to a significant other and if they have a job as well then that can only help speed up the time to payback. My situation is such that I am 34 and will not be financing school as I have saved up enough for both school as well as opening an office. I am definitely not recommending doing it this way, it is simply how things worked out for me. I was not ready to make the commitment to dental school when I was younger and now I am. I have a 5 year old child so I will be missing her greatly as the schedule during the day and the amount of studying after school will not give me much time to spend with the rest of the family. The next factor is they probably wont be with me as my spouse has a job and will not be relocating to whichever city I end up in for school. I dont think I could have been able to raise a baby while in dental school if that is what you are thinking of doing when you mentioned starting a family. Nor do I think my wife could have handled it all by herself but again this is just my situation and what I am able to handle. Every parent is different once they have their baby in their arms. For myself, there was enough stress due to both my wife and child having complications when she gave birth (fortunately all is well now but again this is just a scenario that can happen to anyone which would certainly derail or delay dental school plans). In my case, dental school will be my number one priority in which the sun rises and sets around. Of course you must make some time for yourself and your family but for me it will be very limited. I know my abilities and limitations and I know this will be difficult for me but that I can do it. Sacrifices must be made and I will do so. When it is over, the reward will be to do something I enjoy vs. the last 10 years I spent at a job that I didnt want to go to.

Thanks for the responses that definitely helps some I just wish I had the money saved as well haha! I think I've come to the realization that I know this is what I wanna do with my life and I dont think I will be satisfied if I take another route. I was thinking about it a lot and even something like nursing just doesnt sound quite as appealing to me. I guess I will just have to wait and see how things go and whatever happens will happen and I will just have to make the most of it. Good luck to both of you!