Dental school feels like high school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AspringDDS14

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! Current D1 here looking for advice.

I have had rough start to the year and wondering if gets better. I am a non-traditional student in my mid-twenties compared to my younger class size and this is my first time moving out of state.

My class is definitely a mixed demographic - lots of cool people but also lots of cliques that formed during orientation. My class feels like high school all over again with groups claiming to be the popular group along with a group of mean ex-sorority girls. It's crazy to think that people at this level of academia still gossip and stay petty but that seems to be the norm after talking to friends in other professional programs. I am definitely a floater with friends in different groups, but I live alone and far from campus so tend to feel isolated because of this.

I'm not sure if this is considered sexual harassment but it is currently February, and I am now finding out that a classmate I hooked up with end of July went around boasting about hooking up with me around August/September and spread an exaggerated lie to his big group of guy and girlfriends. I have felt weird looks from guys in the class over the months, but didn't want to assume things without reason.

The hookup situation itself wasn't the most consensual situation, but I remember trying to push through it and focus on school. I made it clear it wasn't something I planned on continuing, and he ended up pursuing a classmate 2 days later. They have been in a relationship since. I didn't think he was going to such low levels to taint my reputation in a professional environment and really don't know how to proceed after finding out what he did.

Any advice on the matter would be appreciated, please be kind.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
I would say something! I’m 22 soon to be 23, and going into dental school soon too and am afraid of this because based on social media, you can just TELL how cliquey dental/med school can get, a lot of people get on power trips….
However, just do YOU and worry about you and your future.
But if this rumor/situation continues PLEASE say something to higher up. This isn’t Highschool and these things are taken very seriously.
Some people do NOT care about anyone but themselves.

Reactions: 2 users
Focus on the goal. None of those people matter. After graduation you will struggle to remember their names even sooner then you think.
Find likeminded people and, seriously, joke about how immature your classmates are. It is more beneficial for you to make friends with upper classmates.
In regards to your sexual encounter. A lot depends on your perception - think of it as you "used" him and not him. Maybe drop that he wasn't at all memorable in his performance

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Dental school is high school. You’re around the same people every day for 4 years. Because of that, you’ll see groups form and explode over time. You’ll hear gossip and see scandals develop. It’s the same no matter where you go. People do people things. The more you accept it, the better you are.

The isolation you feel is normal. Identify your feelings, label them, and channel them into doing things like working out, eating out alone or with people you have stuff in common with, or explore your city by going out to restaurants and places you’re not quite familiar with.

As for the sexual harassment you claim, leave that alone. Now you’ve learned a lesson about mixing business with pleasure. You need to get to know these people for who they are and learn how to make it all work on your favor.

Good luck, stay the course, and don’t put too much stake in assuming everyone is “professional” because they’re not.

Reactions: 5 users
What's interesting about dental school is that everyone in dental school is actually pretty nerdy. Sure, you have some people trying to chase being in the "cool" crowd because they were never really "cool" before. But they'll never be happy. They often resort to doing drugs, drinking, and spending money they don't have all for the sake of "being cool" and at the end of the day they're the ones who are broke, unhealthy, and immature.

People are drawn to natural confidence. Be who you are. Own it. Be proud of it. Laugh about it. And don't take anything too seriously. Get to know your colleagues on a personal level, and you might be surprised.

Regarding your experience with the classmate you hooked up with, I'm sorry you went through that, but take the high road. It's best, in my opinion, to keep things as civil as possible. They clearly have maturity issues, and karma is a very real thing.

Reactions: 1 users
Hi! Current D1 here looking for advice.

I have had rough start to the year and wondering if gets better. I am a non-traditional student in my mid-twenties compared to my younger class size and this is my first time moving out of state.

My class is definitely a mixed demographic - lots of cool people but also lots of cliques that formed during orientation. My class feels like high school all over again with groups claiming to be the popular group along with a group of mean ex-sorority girls. It's crazy to think that people at this level of academia still gossip and stay petty but that seems to be the norm after talking to friends in other professional programs. I am definitely a floater with friends in different groups, but I live alone and far from campus so tend to feel isolated because of this.

I'm not sure if this is considered sexual harassment but it is currently February, and I am now finding out that a classmate I hooked up with end of July went around boasting about hooking up with me around August/September and spread an exaggerated lie to his big group of guy and girlfriends. I have felt weird looks from guys in the class over the months, but didn't want to assume things without reason.

The hookup situation itself wasn't the most consensual situation, but I remember trying to push through it and focus on school. I made it clear it wasn't something I planned on continuing, and he ended up pursuing a classmate 2 days later. They have been in a relationship since. I didn't think he was going to such low levels to taint my reputation in a professional environment and really don't know how to proceed after finding out what he did.

Any advice on the matter would be appreciated, please be kind.
LMAOO, glad to know it's the same everywhere. Idk if this helps but I cut every nonsense since early January, I keep focusing on myself; I'm pretty much deaf, dumb blind. Try to focus on learning, work out, go and shadow in the clinic, keep yourself busy. Leave sexual harassment as it is, remember you're gonna stuck with those people for 3.5 years. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
LMAOO, glad to know it's the same everywhere. Idk if this helps but I cut every nonsense since early January, I keep focusing on myself; I'm pretty much deaf, dumb blind. Try to focus on learning, work out, go and shadow in the clinic, keep yourself busy. Leave sexual harassment as it is, remember you're gonna stuck with those people for 3.5 years. Good luck!
Lol really that bad? I’ll be late 30’s when I start. I’m guessing I’ll be the odd man out haha