Is it worth applying to VA AEGD programs if you don't rank high?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

babytomato

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm applying to AEGD/GPR programs and wanted to know if anyone has or heard of anyone who has gotten into a VA program who's ranked in the bottom 50% on their class?

I am ranked in the 60s in a class of 95 and am not sure if it's worth applying for them. I heard really good things about them but also know they are competitive.
 
I'm applying to AEGD/GPR programs and wanted to know if anyone has or heard of anyone who has gotten into a VA program who's ranked in the bottom 50% on their class?

I am ranked in the 60s in a class of 95 and am not sure if it's worth applying for them. I heard really good things about them but also know they are competitive.
I'm attending at one of the VA programs on the west coast.
Traditionally...we select applicants in top 10-20% of their class. However, we have selected appliance at the other end of the bell curve.
We take into consideration whether you are a Veteran...LOR......and personal statement.
We selected applicants that were rank #1 at Washington, #15 at UCSF. ....or # 60 at Howard. Both applicant did exceptionally well in the program.

You have nothing to lose..Apply!
 
Doesn't hurt to apply and see where it gets you! I applied to peds back in the day ranked toward the middle of the class. Didn't think I would have a chance but solid personal statements, externships , strong LORs make a difference.

If there is a program that you want to attend, reach out and see if you could do a day externship. I've had some friends that did that and they were able to match into those programs. It's two-sided though, make a good impression with them will help; make a bad impression..no interview.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm applying to AEGD/GPR programs and wanted to know if anyone has or heard of anyone who has gotten into a VA program who's ranked in the bottom 50% on their class?

I am ranked in the 60s in a class of 95 and am not sure if it's worth applying for them. I heard really good things about them but also know they are competitive.
I wonder if others can comment on the various VA hospital GPR's.

I work in the VA hospital with GPR residents and frankly I think their program sucks. Don't think it's worth applying too. but hopefully that is just the one I am at.

Dental students, not all residencies are created equal. Some are not worth your time
 
I'm applying to AEGD/GPR programs and wanted to know if anyone has or heard of anyone who has gotten into a VA program who's ranked in the bottom 50% on their class?

I am ranked in the 60s in a class of 95 and am not sure if it's worth applying for them. I heard really good things about them but also know they are competitive.
Focus on putting together a strong application overall - good letters of recommendation, clinical grades, personal statement, etc. This can help make up for a lower class rank to some extent.
 
I wonder if others can comment on the various VA hospital GPR's.

I work in the VA hospital with GPR residents and frankly I think their program sucks. Don't think it's worth applying too. but hopefully that is just the one I am at.

Dental students, not all residencies are created equal. Some are not worth your time
I am a Prosth resident at a VA and we have GPR residents here. I am on the opposite end of the spectrum and find the GPR program extremely impressive and worth applying to. I do know that not all VAs are created equal so this will heavily depend on location, funding, staffing, etc.
 
I am a Prosth resident at a VA and we have GPR residents here. I am on the opposite end of the spectrum and find the GPR program extremely impressive and worth applying to. I do know that not all VAs are created equal so this will heavily depend on location, funding, staffing, etc.
Do you mind sending me the name of the VA you are a resident of? I have been trying to compile a list of good GPR/AEGDs to apply to
 
Do you mind sending me the name of the VA you are a resident of? I have been trying to compile a list of good GPR/AEGDs to apply to
*edit - you'll have to send me a DM since I can't seem to send one to you

I don't mind. If anyone else wants to know, just DM me. I am also helping a bit with the Prosth thread so I want to stay more neutral since I may be seeing some people during interviews.