Dental School in NYC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MedicineMan99

Family Medicine Attending (DO)
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So here's my situation: I'm a Family Medicine attending who just graduated residency. My girlfriend wants to start dental school in the next year or so, so I feel like I'm going through the entire process all over again.

Anyways, we are going to be moving to Manhattan, NY because 1) we have both always wanted to live there 2) there are more opportunities for me there. Since we are going to be living in Manhattan, the only schools that are within a reasonable distance are NYU, Columbia, UMDNJ, and maybe Stony Brook. NYU is her first choice but it is insanely expensive. She is already researching every scholarship possible including the military.

Does anyone have any other input on scholarships specific to NYC schools or on travel/commuting distance for the options?

Thanks very much!

Members don't see this ad.

There was a thread not to long ago on the scholarships at NYU. They normally go around 20K? UMDNJ is now Rutgers so keep that in mind, on the list Stony Brook would be the cheapest by nearly half the cost (or more) compared to the rest.

There was a thread not to long ago on the scholarships at NYU. They normally go around 20K? UMDNJ is now Rutgers so keep that in mind, on the list Stony Brook would be the cheapest by nearly half the cost (or more) compared to the rest.

Thank you! We are specifically concerned about the commute time, however. If we live in midtown Manhattan or the UWS, the commute to Stony Brook would be over 2 hours by train.

Members don't see this ad :)
2 hours? Yeah screw that, sorry I don't know the area that well so I can't speak on travel time! Maybe NYU or Columbia would be best but NYU is expensive even with a scholarship. Not to deter her from the school but I'd look into cost as well since I'm assuming you have loans to worry about as well.

As someone who lives in a neighboring town you are correct; Stony Brook to manhattan is a pretty brutal commute. Maybe you guys could split the difference somewhere?

Reactions: 1 user
Rutgers is another good option and much closer. However, this all depends on where you are moving from, as SB and RU are both state schools that are extremely unfriendly to out of state applicants.

We both love Manhattan and want to stay there. NYU is her dream school but it comes down to the price tag (almost $80k a year just in tuition).

We are both moving from Illinois. I'm originally from NY but she is not. Yeah, Rutgers is still about $60k/year to out-of-state people.

She's looked into full military scholarships but they still only give $45k/year.

I know that most attending physician jobs offer loan repayment- do dental jobs typically offer that as well?

If I'm not mistaken rutgers allows in state tuition after the first year. The issue is that without being a resident of either of the two states acceptance would be extremely difficult (almost impossible at SB) to obtain regardless of how competitive her stats are.

We both love Manhattan and want to stay there. NYU is her dream school but it comes down to the price tag (almost $80k a year just in tuition).

We are both moving from Illinois. I'm originally from NY but she is not. Yeah, Rutgers is still about $60k/year to out-of-state people.

She's looked into full military scholarships but they still only give $45k/year.

I know that most attending physician jobs offer loan repayment- do dental jobs typically offer that as well?

NHSC, for going to NYU for 4 years she would have to go work in an underserviced area for 4 years. They offer a stipend while in school and pay tuition and related expenses. Very competitive and you are limited to being a GP or Peds until you are done with your service. You also get a salary depending on where you serve, there's a thread going on right now on it I believe.

As for what Yeslek has said, yes SB will be extremely unlikely due to only 40 seats available and it being a state school.

NHSC, for going to NYU for 4 years she would have to go work in an underserviced area for 4 years. They offer a stipend while in school and pay tuition and related expenses. Very competitive and you are limited to being a GP or Peds until you are done with your service. You also get a salary depending on where you serve, there's a thread going on right now on it I believe.

As for what Yeslek has said, yes SB will be extremely unlikely due to only 40 seats available and it being a state school.

She actually has a lot of experience working in the underserved dental field (she has been working for years cleaning teeth of underserved kids in schools). So, she essentially wants to be a pediatric dentist. Do you know if any people with this scholarship are able to do their service afterwards in the NYC area?

She actually has a lot of experience working in the underserved dental field (she has been working for years cleaning teeth of undeserved kids in schools). So, she essentially wants to be a pediatric dentist. Do you know if any people with this scholarship are able to do their service afterwards in the NYC area?

http://www.nhsc.hrsa.gov/scholarships/

Check out that website. As far as I know, you have to apply to the sites you want and get in. After a certain amount of time if you don't get a site you will be assigned one. Whether or not there will be a site in NYC 4 years from now is hard to predict but I'd say probably? There is also a loan repayment plan through them to. Like I said, there is a huge thread right now on the application and it has a lot of useful information.

military scholarhips will cover all 4 years of tuition as well as a monthly stipend.

So here's my situation: I'm a Family Medicine attending who just graduated residency. My girlfriend wants to start dental school in the next year or so, so I feel like I'm going through the entire process all over again.

Anyways, we are going to be moving to Manhattan, NY because 1) we have both always wanted to live there 2) there are more opportunities for me there. Since we are going to be living in Manhattan, the only schools that are within a reasonable distance are NYU, Columbia, UMDNJ, and maybe Stony Brook. NYU is her first choice but it is insanely expensive. She is already researching every scholarship possible including the military.

Does anyone have any other input on scholarships specific to NYC schools or on travel/commuting distance for the options?

Thanks very much!
Why not just go to a cheaper school and move to Manhattan afterwards ? It's all about saving money. 4 years fly by fast, and you can't be that picky when it comes to 200k vs 450k , before interest. I suggest she goes to her state school and you guys live near by the school.

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks very much!
She wants to start next year so in Summer 2015? If so, did she already send out her application this cycle?
The military option would be hard because then you would have to relocate to whereever she gets stationed at. Military scholarships are also not guaranteed and the military is not for everyone.

Her shot at Stony Brook is practically zero, since they take maybe a few OOS applicants, 2-3 most likely.

I echo MasterDental's opinion above. So somewhere cheap. Move to NY later in life. Keep in mind, NY requires a residency for any dentist that wants to practice in the state.

Thank you for the input. We do plan to live permanently in NYC. She has a ton of experience working in the underserved pediatric dental field so we now think that a NHSC is her best bet. She still has about 1 year of prereqs to complete before applying.