This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello! I was just wondering if there were any students who attend the Rutgers dental school and commute from NYC, I’ve always wanted to live in Manhattan so I was wondering if that would be a possibility if Rutgers was an option for me to travel to Newark! Thanks!
 
In theory, you could do it. Looking at Google Maps, it's an approximate 50 minute commute one way and 1 hour 40 minutes both ways (to school and back to apartment). Taking into account the expensive tolls, you'll have to pay back and forth and the huge time waste everyday when time is of the essence in dental school, I really don't think it's worth it. With how much time you spend in dental school, you really don't want to be burning ~2 hours of your day throughout the week just commuting. I would rent an apartment that is within walking distance as close to Rutgers as possible to save you time on commuting, so you get more time to study, practice in sim-lab, and even get more sleep compared to commuting long distance in heavy traffic in the city, especially during the winter when it snows a lot. This is my 2 cents and I just got accepted this year to a different school, so keep that in mind with your decision. Best of luck and congrats on getting into Rutgers!
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
In theory, you could do it. Looking at Google Maps, it's an approximate 50 minute commute one way and 1 hour 40 minutes both ways (to school and back to apartment). Taking into account the expensive tolls, you'll have to pay back and forth and the huge time waste everyday when time is of the essence in dental school, I really don't think it's worth it. With how much time you spend in dental school, you really don't want to be burning ~2 hours of your day throughout the week just commuting. I would rent an apartment that is within walking distance as close to Rutgers as possible to save you time on commuting, so you get more time to study, practice in sim-lab, and even get more sleep compared to commuting long distance in heavy traffic in the city, especially during the winter when it snows a lot. This is my 2 cents and I just got accepted this year to a different school, so keep that in my mind with your decision. Best of luck and congrats on getting into Rutgers!
Agree.

Just go visit manhattan when you have free time, commuting sounds horrible back and forth