This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dentistgirl830297

Reaction score
Hello! I was just wondering if there were any students who attend the Rutgers dental school and commute from NYC, I’ve always wanted to live in Manhattan so I was wondering if that would be a possibility if Rutgers was an option for me to travel to Newark! Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

In theory, you could do it. Looking at Google Maps, it's an approximate 50 minute commute one way and 1 hour 40 minutes both ways (to school and back to apartment). Taking into account the expensive tolls, you'll have to pay back and forth and the huge time waste everyday when time is of the essence in dental school, I really don't think it's worth it. With how much time you spend in dental school, you really don't want to be burning ~2 hours of your day throughout the week just commuting. I would rent an apartment that is within walking distance as close to Rutgers as possible to save you time on commuting, so you get more time to study, practice in sim-lab, and even get more sleep compared to commuting long distance in heavy traffic in the city, especially during the winter when it snows a lot. This is my 2 cents and I just got accepted this year to a different school, so keep that in mind with your decision. Best of luck and congrats on getting into Rutgers!

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Thank you! And I’m not sure if you’re referring to driving but I would most likely be taking the trains!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Just because your can doesn't mean your should. I would hate having to deal with unanticipated delays in my commute, whether driving or riding trains. I also don't know what your financial aid cost of living calculations assume so pay attention to that part of your budget.

In theory, you could do it. Looking at Google Maps, it's an approximate 50 minute commute one way and 1 hour 40 minutes both ways (to school and back to apartment). Taking into account the expensive tolls, you'll have to pay back and forth and the huge time waste everyday when time is of the essence in dental school, I really don't think it's worth it. With how much time you spend in dental school, you really don't want to be burning ~2 hours of your day throughout the week just commuting. I would rent an apartment that is within walking distance as close to Rutgers as possible to save you time on commuting, so you get more time to study, practice in sim-lab, and even get more sleep compared to commuting long distance in heavy traffic in the city, especially during the winter when it snows a lot. This is my 2 cents and I just got accepted this year to a different school, so keep that in my mind with your decision. Best of luck and congrats on getting into Rutgers!
Agree.

Just go visit manhattan when you have free time, commuting sounds horrible back and forth

Absolutely live in Newark and you can always visit NYC in your free time. It's only one stop away on the NJ transit