• Set Yourself Up For Success Webinar

October 6, 2021 at 2 PM Eastern/11 AM Pacific
    SDN and Osmosis are teaming up to help you get set up for success this school year! We'll be covering study tips, healthy habits, and meeting mentors.

Register Now!

• Funniest Story on the Job Contest Starts Now!

Contest starts now and ends September 27th. Winner will receive a special user banner and $10 Amazon Gift card!

JOIN NOW
  • Site Updates Coming Next Week

Site updates are coming next week on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. Click the button below to learn more!

LEARN MORE

Dental School Option for Pass/Fail a Class

Quinque

7+ Year Member
Sep 9, 2014
  1. Pre-Dental
Normally my school does letter grade for most of our classes. This semester because of online learning due to corona we have been given option to choose pass/fail for any amount of classes we want (all, some, or none). Those classes picked P/F will not count towards gpa or class rank.

Is it true that it would look bad to residency application if I pick pass/fail for a class that that specialty pertains to (example: applying to periodontics and taking pass fail for intro to perio)? Or is it better to have high class rank / gpa. Thank you.

D

deleted1042127

My school did not switch to p/f or give us the option to. one of the reasons was they said that residency programs don't even look at some applications from schools that don't rank... Not sure how true this is.

To answer your question, it will always look better to have a high class rank/gpa if you can achieve it.

Quinque

7+ Year Member
Sep 9, 2014
  1. Pre-Dental
My school did not switch to p/f or give us the option to. one of the reasons was they said that residency programs don't even look at some applications from schools that don't rank... Not sure how true this is.

To answer your question, it will always look better to have a high class rank/gpa if you can achieve it.

so in your opinion if I was projected to potentially make a B in a class (which would drop my class rank), it would be better to make that class P/F this semester to maintain my gpa?

my thought is many students at my school will do that so

About the Ads
About the Ads
This thread is more than 1 year old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.