Dental School Option for Pass/Fail a Class

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Quinque

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Normally my school does letter grade for most of our classes. This semester because of online learning due to corona we have been given option to choose pass/fail for any amount of classes we want (all, some, or none). Those classes picked P/F will not count towards gpa or class rank.

Is it true that it would look bad to residency application if I pick pass/fail for a class that that specialty pertains to (example: applying to periodontics and taking pass fail for intro to perio)? Or is it better to have high class rank / gpa. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

My school did not switch to p/f or give us the option to. one of the reasons was they said that residency programs don't even look at some applications from schools that don't rank... Not sure how true this is.

To answer your question, it will always look better to have a high class rank/gpa if you can achieve it.

My school did not switch to p/f or give us the option to. one of the reasons was they said that residency programs don't even look at some applications from schools that don't rank... Not sure how true this is.

To answer your question, it will always look better to have a high class rank/gpa if you can achieve it.

so in your opinion if I was projected to potentially make a B in a class (which would drop my class rank), it would be better to make that class P/F this semester to maintain my gpa?

my thought is many students at my school will do that so

Members don't see this ad :)
If you're going to opt in for P/F, do it universally for all your classes. It'll look like you're hiding bad grades behind a P if some classes have letter grades while others have P's