Dental School Pre-reqs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kp1749

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I recently graduated with my undergrad in biomedical engineering. I decided to take a gap year and will be applying to medical school in a couple months, but I've decided to also consider dental school in the past few days due to below average stats (for med school).

I did a little research on the pre-reqs required for several schools and although I do have all the pre-med requirements, I do not have a microbiology course required for some dental schools. Furthermore, my first gen chem and first biology were AP credit, as well as psych, econ, and a bunch of other elective classes.

I'm wondering how strict dental schools are with pre-requisites. Do admission committees ever make exceptions on case by case basis? Having recently graduated, I hope I don't have to take a semester of classes just for one or two classes.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Strict. You can apply without but you have to complete any prereqs before you matriculate.

Strict. You can apply without but you have to complete any prereqs before you matriculate.

Do you have any experience how they handle classes that have been tested out of (AP classes)? In other words, does AP credit count toward their prereqs requirements?

Members don't see this ad :)
If you buy the ADEA Guide (which you should if you are planning to apply) it lists each school individually, including their specific requirements regarding AP and Community College courses. From what I have seen it just depends on the school, some accept it and some don't, so you'll have to do your research.

Hey guys,
I recently graduated with my undergrad in biomedical engineering. I decided to take a gap year and will be applying to medical school in a couple months, but I've decided to also consider dental school in the past few days due to below average stats (for med school).
I did a little research on the pre-reqs required for several schools and although I do have all the pre-med requirements, I do not have a microbiology course required for some dental schools. Furthermore, my first gen chem and first biology were AP credit, as well as psych, econ, and a bunch of other elective classes.
Not to worry. For ds, pre med wannabees get special dispensation, kind of like pre qualification.
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...-advanced-placement-and-ds-admission.1138556/
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/2015-prerequisites.1138351/

Reactions: 1 user
I placed out of my calc and intro bio classes in undergrad due to high AP scores, but YMMV. It never came up in my interviews either.

do dental schools care a lot about the grade you get from classes you take after sending in the application?
I'm also taking a gap year and after I send in my application in June I'm planning on taking Physics pre req courses over the summer but not sure if I have to put a lot of stress into getting A in the classes after I apply...