dental school prestige

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

slackerjock

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
curious if it matters, if so, under what circumstances? specialties?

Members don't see this ad.

Here we go again...

Do a search on that topic and you'll find volumes of info, however, they all end the same way. There are no rankings of dental schools, so there is no official top ten list. It really boils down to what you are looking for in a dental education.

Members don't see this ad :)
Dr.SpongeBobDDS said:
cheap=good

I would just like to present the counter-argument (though I don't believe in it 100%): You only get what you pay for.

well columbia and harvard i think end up sending something like 97-99% into specialities, they are the places to go if you want to specialize it seems

can you take a year between dental school and a specialty program to improve your chances of getting into that program? LIke working in the field you want to be in to show interest like with residencies for med school?

JayMiranti said:
can you take a year between dental school and a specialty program to improve your chances of getting into that program?

Absolutely, although a year is a fairly small amount of time. Chances are you will be working as an associate or for a government-type program, and a year is a small time commitment.

But the answer to your questions is "yes". You don't *have* to apply to specialty programs right out of school. You can apply to them at any time, although most obviously do matriculate into further education right after dental school.

edkNARF said:
I would just like to present the counter-argument (though I don't believe in it 100%): You only get what you pay for.

Usually this applies in the real world, but for dental school?? Are you telling me that spening 200K extra at NYU is gonna get you a better education than spending didley squat at a Texas school? Ummmm....no

Cheap=good

JayMiranti said:
well columbia and harvard i think end up sending something like 97-99% into specialities, they are the places to go if you want to specialize it seems

Correction....Harvard is the only school that can claim high matching rates into specialities....

Dr.BadVibes said:
Correction....Harvard is the only school that can claim high matching rates into specialities....

After speaking to a current fourth year at U of Conn. he gave me the impression that they had good match rates also, true?

eric275 said:
After speaking to a current fourth year at U of Conn. he gave me the impression that they had good match rates also, true?

Yes...I dont have stats with me, but I remember as I was researching different schools, UConn was the 2nd best after Harvard for match rates....

how hard is matching into a specialty? i'm a pre-allo, but you dentists are in on something that 99% of MDs would die for....40 hour work weeks, $300+, 1 year fellowships, sheesh.

do any dentist schools accept the MCAT??

regards,
Envious MD.

SCREW UConn.....the absolute worst program in the country :laugh:

Dentin068 said:
SCREW UConn.....the absolute worst program in the country :laugh:

Actually many think NYU has the worst program in the country. BTW, go to user CP and click on edit signature on the side column. You can put in "NYU College of Dentistry 2008" there, and it'll show up automatically at the end of all your posts. That way you dont have to be a dingus and type it in everytime you post.

slackerjock said:
how hard is matching into a specialty? i'm a pre-allo, but you dentists are in on something that 99% of MDs would die for....40 hour work weeks, $300+, 1 year fellowships, sheesh.

do any dentist schools accept the MCAT??

regards,
Envious MD.

You must take the DAT to apply to dental school. Unless anyone has ever witnessed any special circumstances that they want to post I have never heard of being accepted with an MCAT.