Dental School Rankings

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Dr. Dai Phan said:
I second that. DDS can do extractions, fillings, root canals while DMD can only talk to patient about the procedures. You see DDS are like "doers" and DMDs are "preachers". DP

Not true at all. I had a tooth ache the other day and a DMD gave me some healing emolient and an elixir to put on the tooth and then he preached to me. Then he referred me to a DDS who did a procedure-I think it was a buccal pit filling.....I have heard that DMD's have a huge advantage in getting into an Oral Medicine residency....(the ADA has come out and said that Oral Medicine is on its way to becoming an official residency. It is slated for final approval sometime at the beginning of 2089...give or take a decade or so....)
 
esclavo said:
Not true at all. I had a tooth ache the other day and a DMD gave me some healing emolient and an elixir to put on the tooth and then he preached to me. Then he referred me to a DDS who did a procedure-I think it was a buccal pit filling.....I have heard that DMD's have a huge advantage in getting into an Oral Medicine residency....(the ADA has come out and said that Oral Medicine is on its way to becoming an official residency. It is slated for final approval sometime at the beginning of 2089...give or take a decade or so....)


Oral Medicine?

Sounds like one of Ron Jeremy’s films.
 
Thank you so much for posting this information. What is the source though, and how reliable this sourece is? Can we really believe it?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
sheri said:
Thank you so much for posting this information. What is the source though, and how reliable this sourece is? Can we really believe it?


i hope you're kidding.... i really hope u didn't believe anything that was stated in this thread lol
 
esclavo said:
Not true at all. I had a tooth ache the other day and a DMD gave me some healing emolient and an elixir to put on the tooth and then he preached to me. Then he referred me to a DDS who did a procedure-I think it was a buccal pit filling.....I have heard that DMD's have a huge advantage in getting into an Oral Medicine residency....(the ADA has come out and said that Oral Medicine is on its way to becoming an official residency. It is slated for final approval sometime at the beginning of 2089...give or take a decade or so....)

Hands down the funniest thing I have read in a while.
 
Ok so I am a DMD and I don't do anything all day. Pt comes in, I don't even look in their mouth...just give em some ambesol and give them a good DDS name. And I get paid BIG BUCKS to do this all day long, who wouldn't want to be a DMD? 😱

PS this is for those truly interested...from the ADA (that big society that will rule over all of you when/if you become denists...we had 3 or 4 either drop out or get kicked out during my schooling)
http://www.ada.org/prof/ed/programs/information.asp#ddsdmd
 
Excerpt from the ADA site (with additional annotations for clarification):
DDS/DMD
...indicates the degree awarded upon graduation from dental school to become a general dentist. There is no difference between the two degrees [except that the DDS is superior in most aspects, including looks, charm, and oragami folding]; dentists who have a DMD or DDS have the same education [with post-graduate remediation provided for the DMD to ensure they obtain the skillz inherent to those of DDS eliteness]. Universities have the prerogative to determine what degree is awarded, [with most community colleges and technical schools offering the DMD. Additionally, the DMD is endorsed by University of Pheonix online, ITT Technical Institute, and Windsor Lakes School of Lion Taming]. Both degrees use the same curriculum requirements set by the American Dental Association's Commission on Dental Accreditation [with additional requirements for the DMD, including fingerpainting, basketweaving, and Voodoo encantments]. Generally, three or more years of undergraduate education plus four years of dental school is required to graduate and become a general dentist [or gas station attendant.]
 
thakdha said:
Registrant:
DentalSchoolAdmission.com
A. Kanani [email protected]
150 Park Street West
Suite 909
Windsor, ON N9A 7A2
CA
519-255-9859 Fax:

Administrative Contact:
A. Kanani [email protected]
150 Park Street West
Suite 909
Windsor, ON N9A 7A2
CA
519-255-9859 Fax:

I have nothing against this guy personally, but I can't beleive that he is actually out there selling this bunch of $#@& and people are buying it... amazing 😕
 
When I was just starting out and didnt know anything while I was still living overseas, I purchased this book for foreign dentists and actually thought it was very good for someone who is lost. Yes there is lots of other information out there including here obviously but it was a good starting point to find everything in one place...

If you have time to spare, then the SDN forums are the best because you get to hear opinions from so many different people.

Just my 2 cents...would I recommend it? Actually, I found lots of it to be helpful especially the sample application essays and interview questions. It was worth it just for that alone

Dr-Fun
 
zenith said:
Yeah, this is a direct quote from dentalschoolrankings.com

"These rankings have been adjusted to account for universities offering DMD instead of DDS. The DMD is of a much lower standard, and DMD graduates will need to consult a DDS dentist to attempt surgery or fill prescriptions."

Brilliant source, considering that a DMD/DDS has the ability to lawfully write a prescription but it is a pharmacist that fills it.
 
sheri said:
Thank you so much for posting this information. What is the source though, and how reliable this sourece is? Can we really believe it?

I'll be honest: there's about as much truth in these rankings and DMD vs. DDS stuff as the Psychic Friends Network.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
i haven't been around this site in a while. you guys have really turned into a bunch of jerks. these guys are just coming on here because they are excited about their field. no reason to make them feel stupid. why don't you just be straighforward or ignore people who don't know all the answers?
 
vankras said:
i haven't been around this site in a while. you guys have really turned into a bunch of jerks. these guys are just coming on here because they are excited about their field. no reason to make them feel stupid. why don't you just be straighforward or ignore people who don't know all the answers?
Ummmm....it's called sarcasm.
 
I've gotten confirmation from the president of the ADA that Universidad Autonoma de Nicaragua is the #1 dental school in North America. It's super cheap too.
 
www.dentalschoolrankings.com has just released its 2002-2006 research project on health-professional suicides. Occupational polls indicated that 20.68% of dentists have seriously contemplated suicide; significantly more than other health professionals, even proctologists.

i find this surprising because predents/dentists seem to have no problem humoring themselves and each other. :laugh: