Dental school rejection :-

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doubletrouble

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently completing my BS in biochemistry (pre-dental), but after reading some of the threads in this forum, I'm a little worried about getting accepted into dental school. I'm only 20, so I still have time to change majors and my career path, and now I'm kind of wondering if dental school is practical. It is normal to have to apply to dental school a few times before being accepted, even if you have a 3.8+ GPA and great scores on the DAT? The reason I ask is because I am very limited in my dental school choices, due to personal obligations / relationships, and I would hate to have to apply to the same couple of schools several times over! I never thought dental school would be that difficult to get into, as long as you had high enough scores and GPA.

Can anyone give me some insight into this? I've tried to Google this issue a million times, but get a really wide range of answers. Hoping to have better luck here.

Members don't see this ad.

Are you Saying you have a 3.8 and +20s on the DAT? If so, you should be fine. No, it is not normal to be rejected several times before an acceptance w/ stats like that. Assuming the rest of your application is fine and dandy and you make it to the interview stages, you can assume that your application/stats are not the problem. The problem might be you in the interview.

Tieing yourself down to a certain few schools might really work against you.

You shouldn't have a problem getting into most dental schools "if you have a 3.8+ GPA and great scores on the DAT" unless you screw up your interview. However, your personal obligations/relationships may delay or prevent you graduating.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you do have good score you have nothing to worry about if not keep improving you application and try again. If you have personal circumstances that limit your schools find out what those schools want from an applicant and do it. Dental school is great and it is definately worth all the work to get there.

You probably won't have a problem getting into dental school with those scores.. but if you only have a particular school in mind that you must attend, I guess it could be a bit harder.. especially if it's a state school.
If you don't get accepted with those scores, it may be due to other factors other than your academic records.. So try calling or go to the school to check what it was that hindered you from getting in this year.
I've seen quite a few people around me getting accepted in their second or third try to a particular school, so I would say it's too early to give up yet.

It is normal to have to apply to dental school a few times before being accepted, even if you have a 3.8+ GPA and great scores on the DAT?

All else being equal, your stats can potentially take you to the dental school of your choice. To be more blunt, your stats are even overkill for the weaker, hyperexpensive private dental schools.

Thank you for all your replies. I'm limited to the University of Florida and Nova, as I have to stay in Florida for family / relationship obligations. I have no idea how hard those dental schools are to get into. I haven't taken the DAT yet, but I have a 3.84 GPA in biochem, and I hope I can get a pretty good score on the DAT.

To be honest, I'm kind of leaning away from dentistry after reading these boards, because it seems like the thing to do is to open your own practice...which means dealing with hiring people, maintaining a building, purchasing the equipment, etc. It would be much easier to enter a practice that was already well-established.

Than enter a practice that is already established. You will just not have the income potential...this will be the same for med as well. You should be ok with your grades too btw

With your gpa and a 20+ DAT you should be able to get into Nova easily. Good luck! :)

i agree with Daurang your "personal problems" will be a distraction for you in dental school. you need to figure out what your priorities are.

im not saying totally drop your responsibilites but you need to find a balance. your "obligations" are restricting you to 2 dental schools. i dont think thats a very good balance.

sorry to sound like and *** and playing the devils advocate, but if you are not confident that dentistry is for you then im not sure if you would want to persue it.........

have you done any shadowing/dental assisting? i dont think dentistry is for everyone. you dont want to get into dental school and discover that its not your calling in life. i saw a thread where this guy finished dental school and didnt want to be a dentist............