Dental School Timeline

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
S

studentdr

Anybody know where I can find a timeline of what happens AFTER entering dental school (ex including licensing exams, residencies, etc.)? I can only seem to find timelines on the application process TO dental school...

Members don't see this ad.

Just in general. For example:

2 yrs - basic sci
NBE1
2 yrs - clinicals
NBE2
*finished with dental school and can practice. Depending on state, OPTIONAL GPR ~1yr (for general dentists)/AEGD ~1-3yr
ETA: Would need to get state licensing at this point before opening?
After licensed, take continuing education, etc. to maintain

After which = full-fledged dentist?? What if a dentist wants to do a specialty later down the road? Can they apply for residencies years afterwards??

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
*finished with dental school, technically can practice BUT can also do GPR (for general dentists)/AEGD as an OPTION???

After which = full-fledged dentist??

After dental school, you are a full fledged dentist. There's no technically about it. You can open an office and practice dentistry.

some schools take their part I boards after D1, aside from that it's pretty standard... once you graduate you have a bunch of options: GPR, AEGD, associate, open up your own practice, etc... if you're looking into doing a specific residency then I would recommend doing a 1 year GPR

After dental school, you are a full fledged dentist. There's no technically about it. You can open an office and practice dentistry.

Thanks for clearing that up for me! I've amended my post :)

I think NY and Delaware require it (for initial licensing only) :luck:

Confusion about the actual tests: the NBE taken during dental school, is this separate or the same as the National Board Dental Exam (the one that gives the written part needed for licensing)?
Then the Regional Board gives the clinical portion. This is the same thing as the regional board exams?
Pass and you're licensed, but some states may have additional requirements too.
:thumbup:?

Just in general. For example:

2 yrs - basic sci
NBE1
2 yrs - clinicals
NBE2
*finished with dental school, technically can practice BUT can also do GPR (for general dentists)/AEGD as an OPTION???
ETA: Would need to get state licensing at this point before opening?

After which = full-fledged dentist?? What if a dentist wants to do a specialty later down the road? Can they apply for residencies years afterwards??

Yes you can apply to a residency in say Ortho after having spend time as an Endo or whatever.