Dental School Tuition Comparison

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shingshing

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, I would like to know the actual out of state tuition cost for NYU, i know that they list the fee on their website, but it was 04-05, seems outdated. Does any of you who got interview there receive a package about the tuition cost?
Out of state tuition (excluding cost of living):
NYU: $220 000???
USC: $280 000
Pittsburgh: $190 000

Are these number correct?

Members don't see this ad.

shingshing said:
Hi guys, I would like to know the actual out of state tuition cost for NYU, i know that they list the fee on their website, but it was 04-05, seems outdated. Does any of you who got interview there receive a package about the tuition cost?

i thought usc was 335k for four years..oh wait my bad you said excluding cost of living..then yea that number sounds about right

I don't want to or meen to be mean, but if you are looking for NYU tuition perhaps check out the NYU website.

I found it in 30 seconds.

Total Expenses $74,511 $78,984 $78,959 $72,242

Here is the link:
PHP:
http://www.nyu.edu/dental/academicprograms/dds/costs.html

Members don't see this ad :)
howui3 said:
I don't want to or meen to be mean, but if you are looking for NYU tuition perhaps check out the NYU website.

I found it in 30 seconds.

Total Expenses $74,511 $78,984 $78,959 $72,242

Here is the link:
PHP:
http://www.nyu.edu/dental/academicprograms/dds/costs.html
if you read my post carefully, i have already checked this website. The numbers are for 04-05 which is outdated. E.Coli has pm me the actual number, it's around $220000 for tuition excluding cost of living.
it seems like Pittsburgh is the cheapest for students who pay out of state tuition.

shingshing said:

hi,

yup, nyu gives a packet during the interview that includes updated costs... sorry to say that ur NYU estimate is really low... doesnt matter what state you are from unless u live close enough to not live in the dorm (which will shave around 17,000 a year off the bill)...
the cost for NYU to live there and accept the health insurance is:
the financial aide lady said that, on average, the cost of tuition goes up around 2-3% each year, so it would be around 320,000-330,000 all together...

hope it helps

gel1681 said:
hi,

yup, nyu gives a packet during the interview that includes updated costs... sorry to say that ur NYU estimate is really low... doesnt matter what state you are from unless u live close enough to not live in the dorm (which will shave around 17,000 a year off the bill)...
the cost for NYU to live there and accept the health insurance is:
the financial aide lady said that, on average, the cost of tuition goes up around 2-3% each year, so it would be around 320,000-330,000 all together...

hope it helps

Thanks, I was talking about Tuition and fees excluding cost of living.

These numbers are crazy. Hopefully tuition will go down or at least plateau soon; otherwise I don't know if I could even get enough loan money to go,

Sorry shingshing. I misunderstood your question.

WOW, by the time we graduate our forth year alone will be $100,000.

Plus, during the 4th year we will be in the clinic treating patients and making money for the school, and we still have to pay tuition? wow

oh nevermind, it wasn't even a good thread

I am talking about Tuition without Cost of living!!!

shingshing said:
I am talking about Tuition without Cost of living!!!

Dude you seem to know the answer to the question you asked based on the replies you have had. Now why ask a question that you already know the answer to?

howui3 said:
Plus, during the 4th year we will be in the clinic treating patients and making money for the school, and we still have to pay tuition? wow

You'll be billing patients, but you won't be making money for the school. The clinic will still be in the red.

drhobie7 said:
You'll be billing patients, but you won't be making money for the school. The clinic will still be in the red.

how do you know this??????????

i realize you are a dental student graduating in a few year and have more infomation then I. regardelss, the school DOES bill their patients and even though the fees are less, they DO get paid.

howui3 said:
how do you know this??????????

i realize you are a dental student graduating in a few year and have more infomation then I. regardelss, the school DOES bill their patients and even though the fees are less, they DO get paid.

Um, drhobie is right. The school loses money on you despite the fact that you are "generating profit" for the school...maybe the exception being your fourth year when you have attained enough clinical proficiency to do true quadrant dentistry or multiple fixed preps at one visit. Between overhead costs for supplies, instrument costs (if you don't purchase your own), lab fees, cost to pay staff/facualty/etc it adds up. That all contributes to why dental education costs more than med/optometry/pharm/etc education.

As an aside to the OP, I guess I should be glad my tuition will cost me about $60K for all four years (three as a resident, one as a non-resident) when compared to those others listed.

jpollei said:
Um, drhobie is right. The school loses money on you despite the fact that you are "generating profit" for the school...maybe the exception being your fourth year when you have attained enough clinical proficiency to do true quadrant dentistry or multiple fixed preps at one visit. Between overhead costs for supplies, instrument costs (if you don't purchase your own), lab fees, cost to pay staff/facualty/etc it adds up. That all contributes to why dental education costs more than med/optometry/pharm/etc education.

As an aside to the OP, I guess I should be glad my tuition will cost me about $60K for all four years (three as a resident, one as a non-resident) when compared to those others listed.

What was the total cost if you add instruments, other fees and books. I would guess more like 90 right?
Here at UNLV it is 30 for a resident and that is the total cost for tuition books, instrument rental and all other fees, just one big tuition all in one. Just curious. Most predents forget to add that when they are speaking of tuition.

ok, heres the sheet they give as part of the packet:

'09 '08 '07 '06
Tuition and Fees 47,678 47,678 47,678 47,678
Room and Board 17,870 21,444 21,444 16,082
Books and Instruments 6,083 6,083 6,083 4,383
Personal Expenses 4,260 5,112 5,112 3,834
Transportation 766 919 919 689
Health Insurance 1916 1,917 1,917 1,917
Total 78,573 83,153 83,153 74,583

those are the numbers for each year for the 05-06 year... add up whichever ones you want... just remember, the tution costs will almost certainly go up each year so dont count on these numbers holding up for the next 5 years...

DIRTIE said:
What was the total cost if you add instruments, other fees and books. I would guess more like 90 right?
Here at UNLV it is 30 for a resident and that is the total cost for tuition books, instrument rental and all other fees, just one big tuition all in one. Just curious. Most predents forget to add that when they are speaking of tuition.

No, still around 60. UNC is really cheap, probably the cheapest unless someone can name another. Over the 4 years school probably cost me 60k for everything and living costs were around 50-60k, about 120k for everything the last 4 years.

DcS said:
No, still around 60. UNC is really cheap, probably the cheapest unless someone can name another. Over the 4 years school probably cost me 60k for everything and living costs were around 50-60k, about 120k for everything the last 4 years.

Doctor of Dental Medicine (DMD) Program at Mississippi

Tuition: $5681.00 per year * (Mississippi Residents)

* Non-Residents pay an annual fee of $6360.00, in addition to the $5681.00 annual tuition

Fees: $65.00 per year (American Student Dental Association)

It adds to under 25K over 4 years!

What's the health insurance? Is that health insurance for us to use when we get sick? Because if that's the case, I already have health insurance because my wife is a nurse. Would I be required to take this insurance?