Dental school with kids?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

arlmay

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I posted this in the predental section and thought this might be a more appropriate place to ask. I know there are several of you myself included that are or will be attending in the fall that have children. Can anyone share their experience so far, or how their plans on putting in the necessary work in d school and still saving time for their kids. Really interested in hearing from my fellow parents out there.

Members don't see this ad.

it is very doable to do very well in dental school and spend time with your kids. you just have to want to. i make sure to spend time every day with my kids, but i also stay up late every night studying, later than most. now if you have no desire to specialize it will be much easier to spend a lot of time with your kids.

Reactions: 1 user
My kids are older- my youngest is 9. I spend evenings with them, and most of one weekend day. It's very doable for me, but I do stay up late to study. There are several parents of young kids and babies in my class. The moms have extended family living in their homes. Two of my classmates have become new fathers since school started this year. I think it's a little easier for the dads :) You definitely won't be the first or the last to get through dental school while raising your kids!

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh and I figured not. I'm aware there are quite a few parents in dental school. I was just looking for any advice or strategies that have worked for people currently in school. Appreciate the responses though

You'll need to be more aware of how procrastination will come back to bite you when family/kid stuff pops up, like illnesses.

You'll have to make a conscience choice to throw away any 'you' time in favor of 'kid/family' time (if that is what you desire).

I did D1 with a three year old. I am now in D3, with a 5.5 and a 1.5 year old. (do the math and youll find i studied anatomy my first semester).

It isnt ideal looking at it if you are a person who desires top % of their class in hope of picking a specialty program that only looks at GPA. However, I find my awesome wife and kids to be my support system. I couldnt do it without them.

My oldest critiquing my D1 preps.
281964k.jpg

Reactions: 3 users
You could always come to Roseman, there seems to be about 2-3 kids per dental student here. Lots of babies. Hell one guy has seven!

Thanks for sharing your guys' experiences, it helps put things in perspective for me. I'm feeling pretty fortunate I'm not going to be dealing with any newborns next year, I would definitely not be getting any sleep between the two haha

It becomes hard to take care of yourself. Family>school>you. Watch your health. No sleep is the only option for me sometimes. Those days are about over, though. But some of that is my own study habits. Started school with a two year old and had twins at the end of D1. No good. But they're 1 now and sleep 11-12 hours a night and I haven't been up to their room at night in months. The older goes 10 hours. I'm lucky in that department.

"No good", I probably couldn't put that any better hahaha. Congrats on making it through those first few months, I don't know if I could do that. My wife and I are both students and felt fortunate we just had 1 for now instead of multiples. Ours is 8 months now and he's almost at sleeping through the night but then there's other things to deal with like potty training or thinking he's the boss. Thanks for the advice though!

I'm getting to the end of D3 and have three kids: 6 (almost 7), 5 and 3. I've found it very helpful to study early in the morning. When midterms/finals are going on, I'll often be up at 3-4am studying until classes start (I just find my mind processes the material better over coffee in the morning compared to late at night). Most weekends I study from 5-9am at a coffee shop/24-hr restaurant and get home by the time the family is just getting up. Couple that with an hour or two of studying each weekday after class is over before going home and you can stay on top of all the coursework and lab work. Good luck!

Any moms here that put their kids in day care while in dental school? If so, was it near your dental school in case baby (I have a 1 year old) gets sick or any emergency?
Also I know living close to the dental school is ideal, but is it possible to live about 40 min away and still manage studying?
Any extra advice for a mom who doesn't have family near by?

Reactions: 1 users
I'm getting to the end of D3 and have three kids: 6 (almost 7), 5 and 3. I've found it very helpful to study early in the morning. When midterms/finals are going on, I'll often be up at 3-4am studying until classes start (I just find my mind processes the material better over coffee in the morning compared to late at night). Most weekends I study from 5-9am at a coffee shop/24-hr restaurant and get home by the time the family is just getting up. Couple that with an hour or two of studying each weekday after class is over before going home and you can stay on top of all the coursework and lab work. Good luck!

Absolutely, studying first thing in the AM with some coffee is far superior to staying up all night trying to cram while exhausted!

Any moms here that put their kids in day care while in dental school? If so, was it near your dental school in case baby (I have a 1 year old) gets sick or any emergency?
Also I know living close to the dental school is ideal, but is it possible to live about 40 min away and still manage studying?
Any extra advice for a mom who doesn't have family near by?

I know this thread is like a decade old but I’m starting D1 in the Fall and plan to live 40 min away. Did you ever find out if it’s doable?

I know this thread is like a decade old but I’m starting D1 in the Fall and plan to live 40 min away. Did you ever find out if it’s doable?
I have a classmate who lives around 30-40 minutes from school and he would not change a thing. He does not have children but I think once you have a set routine it will just take the time and might be a mental break from school and other responsibilities.

• Care
Reactions: 1 users
I have a classmate who lives around 30-40 minutes from school and he would not change a thing. He does not have children but I think once you have a set routine it will just take the time and might be a mental break from school and other responsibilities.
Thank you so much for sharing this!