Dental Schools Grading, Will this be a factor in specializing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HollyJolly

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
An SDN member mentioned that some dental schools have A's that are 95% while others have A's at 90%. This is very interesting to me, I have not spent a lot of time thinking about this and I would like to hear your opinions. :D

Does anyone know of dental schools where an A is above a 90%?

Obviously, the GPAs of students will be modified as a student chooses which dental school they go to. How does this impact specializing? If you go to a school with a "harder" grading system, can you please provide some insight?

Members don't see this ad.

Great thread, I am thinking about the same thing.
Hear me out; consider two great public schools in US. One of them , my undergrad school ( school X) assigns A to 3.7-4.0 average during the quarter. The other school ( school Y) assigns any average you get 0.0-4.0 during the quarter in your transcript. In the end, people at my school end up with much higher gpa. Here is the messed up thing, the school X is known to be a BETTER school because of the high average gpa , although school Y is training much much much better students. You think AADSAS cares about this? NOPE

I think this is the case in dental school as well; no wonder students from schools with P/F system are known to get more residency interviews. Off course, this is just my op.

Last edited:
Great thread, I am thinking about the same thing.
Hear me out; consider two great public schools in US. One of them , my undergrad school ( school X) assigns A to 3.7-4.0 average during the quarter. The other school ( school Y) assigns any average you get 0.0-4.0 during the quarter in your transcript. In the end, people at my school end up with much higher gpa. Here is the messed up thing, the school X is known to be a BETTER school because of the high average gpa , although school Y is training much much much better students. You think AADSAS cares about this? NOPE

I think this is the case in dental school as well; no wonder students from schools with P/F system are known to get more residency interviews. Off course, this is just my op.

GPA is far less important in the residency admissions process than rank. Since rank is determined completely internally to the school you attend, the grading policy on what is an A doesn't really matter. This corrects for the "OH MY SCHOOL IS SO MUCH HARDER LOL" GPA arguments that go on with pre-dents, as does the standardized testing associated with residency admissions.

Members don't see this ad :)
GPA is far less important in the residency admissions process than rank. Since rank is determined completely internally to the school you attend, the grading policy on what is an A doesn't really matter. This corrects for the "OH MY SCHOOL IS SO MUCH HARDER LOL" GPA arguments that go on with pre-dents, as does the standardized testing associated with residency admissions.

But does rank depend on the grades you get?

But does rank depend on the grades you get?

I believe rank depends on where you stand compared to the class. I think [someone correct me if Im wrong] its all about how you score compared to everyone else. Say a test was given and highest grade was a 70% (this person is ranked #1), everything under is ranked #2,#3, etc etc.....

Yes, compared to everyone else in your class. If the highest GPA is a 3.7, that's#1 in the class. If it's 4.0, that's #1 in the class, etc...

class rank is super important. i know a guy in my class with a 3.7 gpa that is NOT in the top 30. a little FYI for people looking to specialize. you wanna be like armorshell? better bring your A game! :smuggrin: my point is you that you have to KILL it.

class rank is super important. i know a guy in my class with a 3.7 gpa that is NOT in the top 30. a little FYI for people looking to specialize. you wanna be like armorshell? better bring your A game! :smuggrin: my point is you that you have to KILL it.

That goes to show you it's all about what school you go to. A 3.7 at Pacific will put you in the top 5. I'm sure the difficulty is relatively the same though, just grading scales are different.

That goes to show you it's all about what school you go to. A 3.7 at Pacific will put you in the top 5. I'm sure the difficulty is relatively the same though, just grading scales are different.

right. the bell curve probly looks the same at both schools, which is why class rank is def important. also important: board scores and recommendations, and that is why you kicked the boards in the teeth! :smuggrin:

good thing for class ranking. :) Thank you for the input everyone.