Dental schools in Mexico

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

2BAdentist

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
With so much competition for schools in the US, anybody looking into dental schools in Mexico?

Members don't see this ad.

Slightly longer answer - No... if you go to dental school in another country but want to practice in the US, you need to go through additional schooling once you return. Once you get your degree in Mexico, you'll have to apply to one of the advanced placement programs and go through an additional 2-3 years of dental school in the US anyways. Further, some schools don't even have advanced placement programs and require you to go through all 4 years. Basically, you're turning dental school into a 6-7 year ordeal AT LEAST and you're still going to have to apply to the US schools anyways...

Members don't see this ad :)
I have a friend who is going to dental school in Puerto Rico - I'm not sure whether the two years of additional schooling is required there, but maybe you could look into it.

Puerto Rico works just like a US dental school and is another school you can apply to through AADSAS. However you pretty much need to be fluent in Spanish, and heavy preference is given to local residents. This is in no way analogous to a "Caribbean" med school, and by no means an easier alternative to getting a DDS/DMD.

Edit:
A lot of that can be found on the website: http://dental.rcm.upr.edu/
After browsing the site, I would have gone here in a second. Nothing like $7,500 a year for tuition, and 4 years on a tropical island!

Puerto Rico works just like a US dental school and is another school you can apply to through AADSAS. However you pretty much need to be fluent in Spanish, and heavy preference is given to local residents. This is in no way analogous to a “Caribbean” med school, and by no means an easier alternative to getting a DDS/DMD.

Edit:
A lot of that can be found on the website: http://dental.rcm.upr.edu/
After browsing the site, I would have gone here in a second. Nothing like $7,500 a year for tuition, and 4 years on a tropical island!

My good friend, who is also the dentist I used to work for, went to UPR. He was born and raised in Puerto Rico. He has nothing but great things to say about the school. If I recall correctly, it was actually started by Columbia to be a school where students could also get exposure to tropical diseases along with the more common dental cases.

My good friend, who is also the dentist I used to work for, went to UPR. He was born and raised in Puerto Rico. He has nothing but great things to say about the school. If I recall correctly, it was actually started by Columbia to be a school where students could also get exposure to tropical diseases along with the more common dental cases.
I looked into Puerto Rico since I speak Spanish and thought it would be awesome to live there for 4 years. What I came to find out is that if you're not from PR, there's no sense in applying. It's like applying to Georgia... waste of money for an out of stater!

if you go to dental school in another country but want to practice in the US, you need to go through additional schooling once you return.

Puerto Rico is a US territory and its medical and dental schools are US accredited an no different than going to any other US school.

You can also attend dental school in Canada and work in the US without having to do any extra school. Also, not at the moment.. but potentially within the next couple of years Australia might be an option too because their schools are applying for US accreditation... and so Australia may be similar to Canada in the future. :thumbup:

"I don't foresee any significant movement of international dentists, except in Australia and New Zealand, who have programs much like those in the United States. CODA could conceivably develop reciprocal agreements in those countries."
- CODA Vice Chair James R. Cole II, DDS

Hope this helps.