dental school's prerequisites

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

annak88

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have graduated in March and I want to apply for dental school this June and I've just realized that I have not taken some prerequisite courses for UCLA and USC. Does anybody know that I can apply and take the classes during summer and Fall, or they would just ignore my application because of not having those courses?
Also, if it's okay to take classes after filling out the applications, is community college courses good or it's better to take the courses in a university?

Members don't see this ad.

From what I understand (in my experience and as far as I'm aware for most dental schools) you can apply without having completed all the prerequisites but you would, of course, be required to finish them prior to matriculation. That being said, if you haven't yet, then you will have to take the DAT and depending on which prerequisites you're missing, you could have trouble in certain areas of the test (I.e. if you've not had organic chemistry, you could struggle in this section). If it's just upper level bio classes, you'll probably be fine with regard to the DAT.

Prereqs just need to be done before you matriculate. They definitely prefer courses taken at a university rather than community college.