Dental schools with good clinical experience?

Started by Elysian12
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Elysian12

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
What dental schools are great clinically?

Also, what schools would be good if someone were want to specialize? Is it beneficial to go to a school that has the specialty someone is interested in? Or does it make no difference?

CA Resident

Thank you
 
I'd argue that every dental school will provide you with a solid clinical education. For me personally, Temple specifically comes to mind when I think of an excellent clinical experience. As for specializing, that can be done after you graduate from any program more or less. The ivies (Penn, Columbia, Harvard) and a select few state schools (UCONN, UCLA, a few more) have much higher specialization rates compared to other programs in the country.
 
Oh man, MWU-AZ is synonymous with awesome clinical! MWU-AZ without a doubt as one of the schools on this list.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
LSU students start clinic D2 year. Most school start clinic 3rd year.

However, they only accept a max of ~5 OOS students per cycle.
 
Thats my instate school. Is it not a proper place to pursuit specialties? I thought they have the letter grading system.
It is a great school and you can specialize no problem if you have the grades. I guess what I meant to say is that great facilities don't always equate to a good clinical experience. In Maryland's case it does 👍
 
What dental schools are great clinically?

Also, what schools would be good if someone were want to specialize? Is it beneficial to go to a school that has the specialty someone is interested in? Or does it make no difference?

CA Resident

Thank you

UOP!!
 
Of schools I applied to, the ones that really focused on clinical experience (although they all do) and have a reputation (from dentist outside of SDN =p ) were Midwestern Arizona, University of the Pacific, and Loma Linda (in California btw).


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app