You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Dental schools with the nicest students?
Started by ohana1
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
If you are looking for a collaborative, kind, and compassionate group of students, Roseman may be for you! Wonderful classmates can make a world of difference. Feel free to PM me if you have questions!
just added Roseman to my list! thank you! 🙂
it really depends on the class year more than the school itself imo
Sent from my SM-G920V using SDN mobile
Sent from my SM-G920V using SDN mobile
it really depends on the class year more than the school itself imo
Sent from my SM-G920V using SDN mobile
Exactly. In no time, you would find yourself so busy with dental school that all these issues became so trivial.
Michigan had a bunch of great students too
I interviewed at 6 schools and everyone was extremely kind and welcoming at all of them. I'd imagine most schools are like this. Dental students seem like nice people in general. I really wouldn't worry about people not being kind. Don't pick schools by answers in this thread. All our answers are subjective (you can see people answering where they chose to go to school, so of course they think those people are nice lol). You'll get a feel for people on your interview day.
Last edited:
OP you should've asked where the least friendly students are. That'd probably be more helpful, like changtw's comment
Given that this is an outsider's perspective during a very focused and limited time period, take what I say with a grain of salt. No offence was meant by any of my opinions. I'm also going to talk not just about the student body, but about my fellow interviewees, since I think it reflects what the school may be looking for in their students.
- Columbia:
- Columbia:
- Student body: The most relaxed and quirky people that I've met anywhere. They seemed genuinely passionate, driven, enthusiastic (should I go on?) We had a chance to talk with the current D1s, and they all looked quite happy to be there. We ate lunch with the D2/D3s, and they all seemed comfortable and secure in what they were doing. Overall, fantastic place.
- Fellow interviewees: Some of them seemed like gunners who were a bit overeager to present themselves well. Caught alone, they were a little awkward, but friendly enough.
- Would I have gone?: Hell yes!
- Student body: The undergrad is reputed to be a fairly friendly bunch, and the dental school had the same atmosphere. A bunch of students came in during lunch time to eat with us, and it was a little awkward... but they tried, at least.
- Fellow interviewees: There were a LOT of us. I did manage to somewhat click with the ones sitting around me however.
- Would I have gone?: If I didn't get in my top choices.
- Student body: I didn't like the students there much. They kept bragging about how they were a pass/fail school, and how that somehow made their school the best school. It seemed overly gratuitous of them.
- Fellow interviewees: Some hits, some misses. There were a few gunners (overeager to ask obnoxiously pointless questions, comparing DAT scores). It was also early enough in the cycle that it was the first interview for a lot of people; many of them seemed friendly enough, but were a bit too winded up to talk much.
- Would I have gone?: Only if I didn't get in anywhere else.
- Student body: Passably friendly bunch. I didn't interact too much with them outside of the guides and the D4 who interviewed me. Not much else to say.
- Fellow interviewees: They were amazing! They were relaxed and down-to-earth about their accomplishments. Their friendly nature really helped me get comfortable for the interviews.
- Would I have gone?: With that price tag? Definitely.
- Student body: Not impressed. They were friendly enough, but seemed tired and lacked drive. The students we had a Q&A session with gave extremely bland answers. When I asked a D2 what the best part about his school was, he paused, and then said "everyone here is really nice." (I mean... I guess, if friendliness is what you're looking for... you might want to look into here.)
- Fellow interviewees: Just like Tufts, there were a lot of us. But similar to Tufts, I actually got along quite well with the people around me. Can't say much else.
- Would I have gone?: Maybe if they gave me a full scholarship.
Of the schools I've encountered, UCLA probably had the least approachable dental students.
I still can't figure out if it is a result of the stressful curriculum, but our student interviewers seemed drained. Two of the four didn't show up, and the two that were there didn't respond to any emails following the interview. This wasn't my experience with other schools, where the dental students were incredibly enthusiastic about reaching out to offer matriculation advice.
Since then, I've also had a chance to chat with an old coworker and his UCLA SOD friends during a work event. There was this obvious lack of excitement, and the brief discussion left me feeling uneasy and questioning my ability to handle the workload.
Part of me wanted to believe they were just trying to manage an incoming student's expectations, but another part of me thought they were incredibly rude and didn't want to be bothered.
***The faculty/staff/fellow interviewees were all great, though.
It's the whole cut throat "I'm asian and I'm elite mentality" which I have been trying to antagonize growing up as an Asian
P.S. I'm Asian, so I know how dirty the culture works.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
It's the whole cut throat "I'm asian and I'm elite mentality" which I have been trying to antagonize growing up as an Asian
P.S. I'm Asian, so I know how dirty the culture works.
I think you're overthinking it
I think you're overthinking it
Grew up with Asians for the first 15 years of my life, then transitioned to a heavily populated white school, and I could strongly say, as a fact, that Asians are more cut throat than any other race. They don't have the caring humanity as much as other race do due to the fact that most of their parents came from a country where communism ruled.
They don't have the caring humanity as much as other race do due to the fact that most of their parents came from a country where communism ruled.
I don't see the connection between political belief and being nice/caring
NYU, to me, was a joke.I'd say the most unapproachable place I interviewed was Nyu , felt very factory like
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app
Although I'd say it's dumb basing where you may spend 300+ thousand dollars and 4 years of life based off the objective opinions of a few people online say, it's your prerogative.
That being said, UNLV and Columbia were the friendliest to me. A couple schools were the exact opposite and pretty much killed any desire to ever go there.
That being said, UNLV and Columbia were the friendliest to me. A couple schools were the exact opposite and pretty much killed any desire to ever go there.
Grew up with Asians for the first 15 years of my life, then transitioned to a heavily populated white school, and I could strongly say, as a fact, that Asians are more cut throat than any other race. They don't have the caring humanity as much as other race do due to the fact that most of their parents came from a country where communism ruled.
What? Most Asian parents are hard on their children because they don't want their children to grow up like they did. Poor and having to work nonstop to just make ends meet. They are trying to set their children up so that they can make it in America. Don't have caring humanity? BS. If anything it is that they care too much. White people are just as cut throat anyway. You have to look at the very top Caucasian students at your school not the mediocre ones. I agree that there is a belief that Asians have to work harder because they are minority, but you are saying the whole race is cut throat? Get out of here. You say it's fact but you have only been exposed to a small sample of Asians relative to the rest of the world.
But he said it's a fact!!What? Most Asian parents are hard on their children because they don't want their children to grow up like they did. Poor and having to work nonstop to just make ends meet. They are trying to set their children up so that they can make it in America. Don't have caring humanity? BS. If anything it is that they care too much. White people are just as cut throat anyway. You have to look at the very top Caucasian students at your school not the mediocre ones. I agree that there is a belief that Asians have to work harder because they are minority, but you are saying the whole race is cut throat? Get out of here. You say it's fact but you have only been exposed to a small sample of Asians relative to the rest of the world.
F
fogorvostan
Truth. My mother was a refugee from Hungary. She had to give up literally everything she owned to the government in Austria before they allowed her to board a plane to NY. All four of her kids were expected to achieve great things... and to be honest, we kinda did. One went to dental school, one went to West Point, one is about to start dental (hint, that's me!), and the other is a.... stay at home mom? But hey, at least she has a college degree and married well.Further, Id add that its an immigrant thing to have the work insanely hard mentality, my moms family came from South America with no more than 50 dollars , and my mom was expected to work in the family store everyday after school, as well as achieve no less than A's , she carried that over to her kids, and I'm beyond grateful to have had that mentality instilled into me, I wouldn't be where I am today without it....
Is UCLA really that bad? I'll be starting there this fall, and now that I'm hearing about the cutthroat culture, I'm even more terrified now... the students I came across when I interviewed there seemed very kind, at least in my opinion, and i didn't see any of the unapproachable types during my time there. Is there anyone else that has some insight? Thanks!
.
Last edited:
Further, Id add that its an immigrant thing to have the work insanely hard mentality, my moms family came from South America with no more than 50 dollars , and my mom was expected to work in the family store everyday after school, as well as achieve no less than A's , she carried that over to her kids, and I'm beyond grateful to have had that mentality instilled into me, I wouldn't be where I am today without it....
Truth. My mother was a refugee from Hungary. She had to give up literally everything she owned to the government in Austria before they allowed her to board a plane to NY. All four of her kids were expected to achieve great things... and to be honest, we kinda did. One went to dental school, one went to West Point, one is about to start dental (hint, that's me!), and the other is a.... stay at home mom? But hey, at least she has a college degree and married well.
Your parents/families are AWESOME. This is why I love SDN- you get to meet so many down to earth people.
My own parents came to the U.S. with only $50 in their pockets, no place to live, and they've worked so hard here and have done a great job securing their futures and teaching me the meaning of hard work and perseverance.
BTW, @Scumbag_Steve is right. UConn students are awesome- very high-caliber and humble.
I met students from 4+ schools at a conference two years ago. UConn's students were the friendliest, most relaxed that I met that day.
Last edited:
Is UCLA really that bad? I'll be starting there this fall, and now that I'm hearing about the cutthroat culture, I'm even more terrified now... the students I came across when I interviewed there seemed very kind, at least in my opinion, and i didn't see any of the unapproachable types during my time there. Is there anyone else that has some insight? Thanks!
Don't worry, just become one and you'll fit right in. Jk, haha.
UCLA is a reputable school and it is very difficult get in for both undergrad and grad, so they have the right to be a little snobbish. But not everyone is the same. I have friends who graduated and current attending there, they're humble. So just choose the right crowd to hang with. They might be cutthroat because they try to specialized but if you're just want to stick general practice, then they probably will like you better.
What I said above are baseless claims.
@yuuren
I won't speak to your comment about current dental students at UConn simply because I only know a small percentage of them, all of whom are down to earth and and not "overly gratuitous", but I can't let the comment about your fellow interviewees slide nor can I let anyone mistake it as a representation of the student body the school seeks.
There are 51 students that will be starting in August. One of them took the time to try and write as detailed of a guide for SDNers as humanly possible and tries his best to help every user who asks, and will give very detailed PMs for help at the drop of a hat. Another is one of my best friends, who has an incredible life story and overcame a plethora of obstacles to succeed and be accepted to dental school, not to mention dedicating countless hours of time and effort to the very programs that helped him get to where he is today so that the next generation can too.
That leaves 49 students. I'm friends with 6, among them the smartest/most humble person I know, the hardest worker I know, a person who spends months at a time living in a foreign country heading a non profit they founded (normal age applicant not non trad), and people who worked full time during undergrad while managing to graduate early.
This leaves 43 students. I'm acquaintances with 7 more, all of whom seem to be nice enough people with no "obnoxious gunner" tendencies, have never compared DAT scores, or given any indication that they are anything other than down to earth, normal people.
This leaves 36 people. 1, who shall remain unidentified, fits your unflattering description of the student body perfectly. Perhaps they were in your interview group.
This leaves us with 18 people who don't fit you description, and 1 who does. 35 are up in the air. For all I know, all 35 could be horrible people like you described. I'll buy you lunch if this turns out to be the case. However, I'll put my money on the 18:1 down to earth: obnoxious ratio from my sample size.
Another note; my interview group was 10 people, and 1 other than myself will be attending in August. I highly suspect that the uptight ones I encountered were not accepted due to the fact that my subjective opinion and observation is that the school actively tries to weed out that personality type during interviews.
I know you said to take your comments with a grain of salt but I implore everyone reading this thread that each person has a unique perspective. For what it's worth, I interviewed at each school @yuuren mentioned and found the vast majority of my fellow interviewees as well as all the dental students to be extremely affable, sociable, kind, humble, and willing to help. Maybe I just view the world through rose colored glasses. If that's the case, I suggest anyone reading this to do the same because it's pretty awesome when you see the best in people rather than their pretentiousness.
Like you say, I may've just happened to end up in a group that rubbed me the wrong way. Or the fault may even lie within myself.
I should have mentioned that UConn was my first interview. I was definitely nervous, and my interview was a disaster, as I felt like I was being attacked by one of the interviewers. I'm sure this all colored my experience at UConn, which led to me, perhaps unfairly, casting the school in an undeserved negative light.
Nonetheless, in the end, the atmosphere of the school just did not feel right with me. (There were other minor things during the interview and orientation that I took personal issue with, but I will not mention them, as the same issues will not affect everyone.) And the dislike is mutual; UConn waitlisted me! I suppose we just weren't meant for each other.
You seem to be genuinely excited about your new school and your classmates, and I'm happy for you. Good luck.
@nateriver: My top choice... 🙂
Last edited:
Err I mean I got into my top choice, haha.The tag didn't work lucky I saw this haha, message me if u have any questions ! And also yeah as Scumbag Steve pointed out , uconn is amazing and the students there are among the highest caliber in the country , and I'm sure every school has its ups and downs
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app
.
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Similar threads
- Replies
- 0
- Views
- 292
- Replies
- 2
- Views
- 862
- Replies
- 0
- Views
- 446
- Replies
- 1
- Views
- 2K