Dental switch to medical school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dentalchamp98

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, so I’m a first year dental student and been having doubts as to whether or not I should stay in dental school. I have always known that I wanted to be some sort of doctor but I have a parent in the dental professional that influenced me to choose dentistry. I will not be seeing patients until third year so for now there are aspects that I like but also those that I hate. I also am not sure whether or not I will be able to overcome the feeling of not being a real doctor. I feel like people have more respect for medical professionals than dental. I have thoughts that "I could have done better" and applied to medical school with the stats that I had in college and not sure if I will be able to deal with the physical demands of dentistry

I am currently sitting at 100k in debt. Would medical schools even take a dropout from dental school? Does anyone have any suggestions on what I should do as far as taking a semester off for medical leave perhaps?

Members don't see this ad.

Not really. I'd worry that you'd bail on Medicine like you did for DDS.

Finish what you started, and then think of the career switch.

You'll need demonstrable proof that you're running to Medicine, not merely running away from DDS

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Not really. I'd worry that you'd bail on Medicine like you did for DDS.

Finish what you started, and then think of the career switch.

You'll need demonstrable proof that you're running to Medicine, not merely running away from DDS
agree with finish what you started, enjoy your ride, don't let the doubters (even yourself) get to you

Reactions: 1 user
Hey guys, so I’m a first year dental student and been having doubts as to whether or not I should stay in dental school. I have always known that I wanted to be some sort of doctor but I have a parent in the dental professional that influenced me to choose dentistry. I will not be seeing patients until third year so for now there are aspects that I like but also those that I hate. I also am not sure whether or not I will be able to overcome the feeling of not being a real doctor. I feel like people have more respect for medical professionals than dental. I have thoughts that "I could have done better" and applied to medical school with the stats that I had in college and not sure if I will be able to deal with the physical demands of dentistry

I am currently sitting at 100k in debt. Would medical schools even take a dropout from dental school? Does anyone have any suggestions on what I should do as far as taking a semester off for medical leave perhaps?
A student in my class dropped out of dental school and started at my DO program. For MD it might be more lethal but DO schools would maybe give you a chance.

I also am not sure whether or not I will be able to overcome the feeling of not being a real doctor.
DDS are by all means real doctors. They just "fast track" into their specialty. By the time MDs/DOs finish their fellowship, they will have forgoten all of the info they learned in medical school that is unrelated to their specialty. You have to get over the "what do others think" sentiment.

Reactions: 8 users
Just remain a dentist. You’ll be happier

DDS are by all means real doctors. They just "fast track" into their specialty. By the time MDs/DOs finish their fellowship, they will have forgoten all of the info they learned in medical school that is unrelated to their specialty. You have to get over the "what do others think" sentiment.
As you get older nobody gives a **** what a real doctor is and isn’t except if Youre in the same environment as a physician (like a radiology tech calling themselves a doc). I call my dentist doctor. It’s a lot more respectful and easier than calling him Jeff.

Reactions: 3 users
Don't do it. Dentistry is a better option. Especially if you can get into OMFS, endodontics, or orthodontics. Or just finish 4 years and start making money. You'll be happier if you stay in denstistry.

Reactions: 1 user