Dental tie!?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

freedyx3

I'm Columbian
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok I got this tie online thats black and it has colorful images of toothbrushes and teeth on it. When i bought it i thought if i wore it to my interviews i'd make me stand out. However I kind of rethinking that. Do you guys think i should wear this tie to my interviews or will it reflect badly on my level of professionalism???

FRED

Members don't see this ad.

Well, if it looks nice (doesn't have all sorts of loud gaudy colors or something), why not? It actually might make a nice icebreaker conversation piece with the interviewers.

The tie I wore during my interview at the school I eventually attended... It was a tie with the logoes of all the NHL teams on a dark blue background. Not loud or gaudy, at a social distance it looks like a normal tie. Struck up a conversation about the Buffalo Sabres with the faculty interviewing me to start off things.

Looks like it worked too. :D

Members don't see this ad :)
Freddy,
Do you want to get in? ::))

Freddy,

If you think this tie will make you stand out in a charming way, then by all means do it. If it'll make you stand out in a cheesey way, than save it for your DMD/DDS graduation ceremony in 2008! Use your best judgment.

I could see this backfiring if the tie is too goofy. If it is then don't compromise the rest of the suit.

why risk it? keep it simple.

But do tell where you found it. I want one too. :)

freedyx3

You have good taste. The ties at that site are great. I still wouldn't wear one at the interview though.

freedyx3,

your question is pretty much like the question that someone else had asked about whether he should cut his hair for the application pics.

i think that you are a very smart guy and probably know better. if i was you, i wouldn't even take a chance. you have been given a chance to present yourself proffesional and ready to take on a very difficult and challanging career (school wise). by you wearing something that many have different opinions on, i think that you are taking a huge risk.

my advice, JUST DON"T DO IT!

hope you don't take anything personal. its only my opinion.

I probably would not wear the tie, but its up to you I guess.

Alright its set, its a no go on the tie. I guess I'll just save it for when i graduate.

So is there any faux pas in wearing a conservative tie that is of the same colors as the school with which one is interviewing?

"So is there any faux pas in wearing a conservative tie that is of the same colors as the school with which one is interviewing?"

Quite honestly, I think if the issue is not brought up it would be better. However, if they bring it up you can talk about it. But overall it would seem too fake, in my opinion.

I would recommend keeping everything conservative. The only exception would be if you know the people interviewing you or the admissions board/staff. Which in most cases we don't.

Your safest bet is to keep it simple and conservative. This isn't Patch Adams. :laugh:

any suggestion whether to get a nice looking suit that wont cause a fortune?

Do you have a JCPenny anywhere near you? They usually have deals going on all the time. In fact, this week they have a buy one get one free deal going on for suits.