Dental to Med School

Started by Seeneband
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Seeneband

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So I was going to UCLA Dental School, dropped out (not kicked out - i'm in good standing - just no interest in dentistry), and have decided to go to med school. Anybody got any good ideas for what I can say as to why I did this for people asking me (either interviewers or people writing letters of rec)? Thx.
 
Seeneband said:
So I was going to UCLA Dental School, dropped out (not kicked out - i'm in good standing - just no interest in dentistry), and have decided to go to med school. Anybody got any good ideas for what I can say as to why I did this for people asking me (either interviewers or people writing letters of rec)? Thx.

Hi there,
Why not just tell the truth? Sometimes you start something that you were sure that interested you and then you change your mind. You might have some problems convincing folks that you are not a total "flake" you should be able to take care of this if your interests are genuine.

Good luck
njbmd 🙂
 
Truthfully, why did you decide to pursue medicine?

A good friend of mine initially applied to dental, got into Harvard, Columbia, Penn, etc... but decided to apply to med after getting accepted to all of these schools. (note: he scored near perfect on the DAT)

Anyways, he applied to allo schools and got into one, Drexel. Speaking with him now he totally regrets his decision. First off, the guy hates studying. Totally ironic if you ask me and a complete *****ic decision on his part for going into med!

Anyways, when I asked him why he was going to med he said he wanted to become a young rich doc and get all the honeys! I swear when I heard this I felt pity for the guy. Soo disillusioned, and the sad thing is, he still is.

Well you get my point. He's pursued medicine for prestige and fame, and to show you, he is currently in his 6th year, struggling just to get by and hates himself for choosing med over dental.

Think really hard about why you are going to apply for med. If its for fame, money, and chicks, you'll be in for a big surprise.

Aside from that, I'm in a similar situation. I decided to change my medical profession to pursue the MD. Currently I'm applying and when asked at interviews about my decision to pursue an MD I just tell them that my passion for medicine was initiated, but more importantly, I have created the ultimate foundation to pursue my dreams. They always follow up with the question, "but is it really worth going to school for another 4 years and doing the basic sciences again?" I always reply without missing a beat, "definitely, in the end, I will look back knowing I made the right decision for me." I guess it works cause I'll be going to med school this fall. Anyways, good luck and hopefully you aren't pursuing med for reasons other a true passion for medicine, because without that genuine passion it really isn't worth all of those years of studying and slaving.