Dental vs. Pharmacy schools Application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ecsi2014

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is there any harm of applying to pharmacy schools right after you applied to dental schools? I know both have different websites; however, is there any chance that my application to dental schools will be affected?
I care more about dental school than pharmacy one.

Members don't see this ad.

Is there any harm of applying to pharmacy schools right after you applied to dental schools? I know both have different websites; however, is there any chance that my application to dental schools will be affected?
I care more about dental school than pharmacy one.

May I ask why you are applying to both schools?

Honestly, there is no specific reason. I just want to know if my application to dental schools will be affected if I take the step and apply to pharmacy schools. Do you any idea about that?

Members don't see this ad :)
Honestly, there is no specific reason. I just want to know if my application to dental schools will be affected if I take the step and apply to pharmacy schools. Do you any idea about that?

Depends how each school interprets it, you better have a good reason....

You will have to answer the application question that states: "Have you previously, or are you currently applying to a health profession school other than dental school? If yes, indicate school(s), type of program, year applied, and also indicate if you were accepted and/or enrolled."

Reactions: 1 users
I didn't apply and I don't intend to apply. My advisor suggested to apply to both schools, but I wasn't sure if this is a good idea.

He said they don't care if you're applying to more than grad school. Not sure though if that's true.

I didn't apply and I don't intend to apply. My advisor suggested to apply to both schools, but I wasn't sure if this is a good idea.

He said they don't care if you're applying to more than grad school. Not sure though if that's true.

I think your adviser is wrong. Adcoms will question whether or not you are truly interested in their school/dentistry. If I'm not mistaken, grad school is different. You want to apply to many to improve your chances of getting in but since we're talking about med/dental/pharm schools, you should only pick one.

Neither you nor your advisor appear to understand that ambivalence is not a quality in high demand at professional schools.

He said they do
Neither you nor your advisor appear to understand that ambivalence is not a quality in high demand at professional schools.

Ambivalence is not a quality in anything. I don't have significant experience in healthcare, and I don't think you have any experience either. There are many pharmacists who switched to the dental field after they found out that's not what they want.

I trust my advisor even though he suggested a "probably" bad idea. I started this thread just to get more information about this "idea" not to measure how much my advisor and I understand things.

He said they do

Ambivalence is not a quality in anything. I don't have significant experience in healthcare, and I don't think you have any experience either. There are many pharmacists who switched to the dental field after they found out that's not what they want.

I trust my advisor even though he suggested a "probably" bad idea. I started this thread just to get more information about this "idea" not to measure how much my advisor and I understand things.

here's the thing: in order for pharmacists to switch into dentistry...they need to actually be pharmacists.

it's not probably a bad idea. it's a stupid idea. and worse, it's disrespectful to you and your time that anyone would advise you to pursue training on two distinctly separate paths. do you want to be a dentist or a pharmacist? once you can answer that you'll know what you need to do.

Reactions: 2 users
He said they do

He's already a dentist. I'm pretty sure he knows a thing or two about healthcare.

He said they do

Woah man. doctoothache is already a dentist so he has more experience than you have in your pinky. I think he has a PhD too. And dental schools will want to know why you are applying to both. They ask that on the application and they will want to know regardless. There are advisors that don't know much when it comes to health professional school applications. Majority of college grads I have talked to say the same thing. Why do you want to be a dentist if you are thinking of applying to pharm school? Thats something they will ask you so be ready to answer that.

Reactions: 1 user
Woah man. doctoothache is already a dentist so he has more experience than you have in your pinky. I think he has a PhD too. And dental schools will want to know why you are applying to both. They ask that on the application and they will want to know regardless. There are advisors that don't know much when it comes to health professional school applications. Majority of college grads I have talked to say the same thing. Why do you want to be a dentist if you are thinking of applying to pharm school? Thats something they will ask you so be ready to answer that.

He/she "SHOULD" have more experience in healthcare than me; otherwise there is no point of calling him/her a "dentist". However, having experience in healthcare doesn't give him/her the damn right to judge others or even measure how much they understand.

I am not sure on Pharmacy, but I know applying to both dental and medical schools in the same round is frowned upon here in Texas. San Antonio's dean of admissions for dental school said if they saw a student with applications to both in the same cycle they were immediately cut from the running.. She specifically did this (I kid you not):

EABKP.gif

thank you for this information. This is basically what I want to know.

He/she "SHOULD" have more experience in healthcare than me; otherwise there is no point of calling him/her a "dentist". However, having experience in healthcare doesn't give him/her the damn right to judge others or even measure how much they understand.

thank you for this information. This is basically what I want to know.

tl;dr applying to more than 1 professional programs is usually frowned upon. Rarely schools will see this as a positive thing if they find out.

what the doc said is right. Even if its put crudely.