Dentist Drill Questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jpengidesign

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Dentist,
I'm a Product Design student doing a project on redesigning the dentist drill, I wanted to ask all of you a few questions regarding this subject. Currently I would like to redesign the drill in terms of being noiseless as in my research I found most often patients don't like the noise as it psychologically associates noise with pain. I would be grateful for any feedback regarding these questions.

- What is your occupation in dentistry?
- What do patients complain about the most during a dentist visit?
- How often do you use a dentist drill?
- What is your biggest issue with using drills?
- If you could have the perfect drill what would the wants be?
- Lastly how do you feel about the overall look of a drill? If it could reflect your personality in some way how would you change it ?(color,shape etc.)

Members don't see this ad.

If you can figure out a noiseless drill that does 200k rpm, you'll be a oprah rich.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hello Dentist,
I'm a Product Design student doing a project on redesigning the dentist drill, I wanted to ask all of you a few questions regarding this subject. Currently I would like to redesign the drill in terms of being noiseless as in my research I found most often patients don't like the noise as it psychologically associates noise with pain. I would be grateful for any feedback regarding these questions.

- What is your occupation in dentistry?
- What do patients complain about the most during a dentist visit?
- How often do you use a dentist drill?
- What is your biggest issue with using drills?
- If you could have the perfect drill what would the wants be?
- Lastly how do you feel about the overall look of a drill? If it could reflect your personality in some way how would you change it ?(color,shape etc.)

First off, we call it a "high speed handpiece" not a "drill". We also use a "slow speed handpiece". This has already been tried before. Most dentists use handpieces that are driven by an air turbine. There is a compressed air tank somewhere in the building with pipes/tubes that eventually end at the handpiece to drive the motor. They are noisy but effective.

To make the handpiece less noisy, the "electric" handpiece has been developed. It is less noisy but has to be plugged in or be battery powered. Thus it is more annoying to work with unless you had it built into the chair like the air driven ones. So an investment into an electric handpiece also requires an investment into a new delivery system for your dental chair. That's a very expensive project that won't be appealing to doctor's who already spend big bucks on their current chairs and air compressors.

If you want to put a bunch of insulation on the handpiece to quite it down, it will become too bulky and heavy to use and will be unpractical. Lasers have been used to cut tooth structure too but they are too slow. It would be far easier and affordable to just offer your patients ear plugs.

Reactions: 2 users
Even if the motor was quitter, once you touch it to a surface the volume skyrockets again making it dangerous to your hearing. I wear earplugs (Dental Ear plugs)... these work the best because you can hear your patients and staff while they're still in your ears. Therefore, no need for hanging them around your neck.

www.dentalear.com

I'm a young dentist and I just started wearing ear plugs actually as I noticed that I would get some ringing after using high speed (high frequency) hand pieces. I started using the ear plugs called "vibes". I believe that they are the ones that were on sharktank. I've noticed a big difference. The high frequencies aren't bothering me as much as before, but I can still hear my patient's easily when they are talking to me. I asked the company if they could give me a discount code for dentist's to try them out. So if you want to try them out, use the code "schwartz" and they'll give you 15% off too. They are pretty inexpensive and work well!

I'm a young dentist and I just started wearing ear plugs actually as I noticed that I would get some ringing after using high speed (high frequency) hand pieces. I started using the ear plugs called "vibes". I believe that they are the ones that were on sharktank. I've noticed a big difference. The high frequencies aren't bothering me as much as before, but I can still hear my patient's easily when they are talking to me. I asked the company if they could give me a discount code for dentist's to try them out. So if you want to try them out, use the code "schwartz" and they'll give you 15% off too. They are pretty inexpensive and work well!

There's a bunch of similar ear plugs on the markets, usually marketed towards music concert goers.

I also recommend them. I got a different brand that has a container on my keys, so they are with me wherever I go. Good investment.