dentist popularity

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

applicant

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is there such dentist who seems to attract many more patients and his/her office is always swamped with patients, thus he/she makes much more money than other dentists (only comparing the same thing here, like general to general or ortho to ortho)?

If there is, what's the difference that makes him/her stand out?
is it mostly that his/her dental skills are much better?
or marketed very well?
or good people skills?
The reason is probably a combination of the above,
but what's the main thing?

Or there is no such one dentist who gets all the patients and the patients are spread out among dentists and that all the dentists make similiar incomes?

Members don't see this ad.

applicant said:
Is there such dentist who seems to attract many more patients and his/her office is always swamped with patients, thus he/she makes much more money than other dentists (only comparing the same thing here, like general to general or ortho to ortho)?

or marketed very well?
or good people skills?

Or there is no such one dentist who gets all the patients and the patients are spread out among dentists and that all the dentists make similiar incomes?

Yes every dentist in the entire country has exactly 1,450.5 patients that are perfectly evenly spread out.
A short answer. Word of mouth gets patients in the door. Good clinical and people skills. Surrounded by good staff. Not paid advertising. Not taking part in bs insurance plans.

applicant said:

or marketed very well?
or good people skills?

I believe that business skill of a dentist is more important that his clinical skills. This is not to say that clinical skill is not important, it is important but business skill wins out all the time. In Investor business triangle porduct is the least important thing, that means person with good business skill and a good investor are more important than the product(here dentist). This is the main reason Dental mills exist and they are financially succesfull becasue they have good business model. They do not provide superior services but they have something that works.

Members don't see this ad :)
applicant said:

or marketed very well?
or good people skills?

Succeeding in private practice is mostly based on "the gift of the gab". You also need to have a good head for business and have good marketing skills in addition to having good clinical skills.

When you just start out, many of your new patients will initially be your emergency patients (powerful practice builders). Most patients that seek a dentist, are looking for pain relief. If you can adequately relieve that pain and sell your skills to a patient, you have won a regular patient.

The best marketing is "word-of-mouth" or "buzz". I would highly recommend reading business books such as those dealing with the topic of marketing and books written by successful CEOs. I never thought I would be the type to read business books but I have been doing so in recent months. I know of some dentists who have enrolled in MBA programs and have entertained the possibility of doing so myself. Some of my latest reads include:

"The Anatomy of Buzz- How to Create Word-of-Mouth Marketing" by Emanuel Rosen

"Dynamic Dentistry- Practice Management Tools and Strategy for Breakthrough Success" by Linda Miles

"Pour Your Heart Into It- How Starbucks Built a Company One Cup at a Time" by Howard Schultz (Chairman and CEO of Starbucks) - which I am in the midst of reading.

applicant said:

or marketed very well?
or good people skills?

I think you already know the answer to this one.

Besides having a business model that works for your community, it's the same things that effect success in every other area of life.

In general, tall people make more than short people. Good looking people make more than ugly people. Guys with hair make more than bald guys. Being able to relate to people is better than being a social ******, etc... etc...

Some things you can change, some you can't. Run a smart business and treat people the way you want to be treated. There's really not that much more to it.

applicant said:

or marketed very well?
or good people skills?

Just wanted to add another comment. A rule which is pretty well known in the marketing world in regards to the "word-of-mouth" phenomenon is the 0311 Rule which is as follows:

A patient/customer is satisfied with the service but doesn't tell anyone.

A patient/customer is satisfied with the service and tells on average 3 people.

A patient/customer is unsatisfied with the service and tells on average 11 people.

So the whole point ? Having one unsatisfied patient is a lot more damaging to your practice than you think so be sure that you do whatever you can to make your patients happy (even if they try your patience sometimes :rolleyes: ).

For me to prefer a dentist over another he/she has to cause me as least pain as possible when doing any dental procedure.

Mustt Mustt said:
I believe that business skill of a dentist is more important that his clinical skills. This is not to say that clinical skill is not important, it is important but business skill wins out all the time. In Investor business triangle porduct is the least important thing, that means person with good business skill and a good investor are more important than the product(here dentist). This is the main reason Dental mills exist and they are financially succesfull becasue they have good business model. They do not provide superior services but they have something that works.

Hmmm. I guess the above response may or not be true, depending on whether you look at dentistry as a service (which it is), or as a business (which some people try to make it into).
Business skills may get people in your office via marketing, or get people to buy into a bigger treatment plan. But business skills won't CYA for an anterior esthetic failure, or a crown that fractures 6 months after cementation, or complications from a simple extraction. Those are the things that patients mention to other prospective patients.
I'll be the first to say that any dentist should have basic business skills. But I'll also be the first to say that as a dentist you are trained first and foremost as a dentist, not a businessman (except for the rare few who also have an MBA). Just do your job, and let your office manager or consultant to do theirs. When you try to double dip and do both, more often than not neither gets done well. If you are practicing dentistry, that should be your first priority. Otherwise, get out of the profession.

Sorry, I have to disagree that you have to do your job as a dentist and everything will be ok. If you don't focus on the business of dentistry, then you won't be doing any dentistry. If you don't have marketing skills then how are you going to get patients. If you think an office manager/consultant is the one to focus on the business then good luck to you b/c you are going to need it. Once you get out of school you should focus on working at a place like western dental b/c you're view of the "real world" is skewed and are going to need a lot of help.

diagnodent said:
Once you get out of school you should focus on working at a place like western dental b/c you're view of the "real world" is skewed and are going to need a lot of help.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Trust me, he'll be doing a lot better than a place like western dental :D He didn't need a lot of help getting into a top ortho program. Somehow I think he'll be just alright.