Dentist to an Optometrist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lifegoeson!

Reaction score
Hi,
I am a junior, and a "pre-dental" student actually thinking of switching to optometry.
The thing is, I have already taken the DAT, shadowed (100hours) dentists, volunteered at dental clinics, and was planning to apply to dental schools in 3 months (by June).
The thing is I've been having some eye problems that led me to become interested in optometry.
Do you think I have a chance at getting into optometry school with the DAT (above avg score), a solid GPA, but bunch of experiences in dentistry? Would shadowing an optometrist be sufficient?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Most schools take the DAT now. I would begin shadowing, and just explain change of interest in application and interview. You should be fine.

Hi,
I am a junior, and a "pre-dental" student actually thinking of switching to optometry.
The thing is, I have already taken the DAT, shadowed (100hours) dentists, volunteered at dental clinics, and was planning to apply to dental schools in 3 months (by June).
The thing is I've been having some eye problems that led me to become interested in optometry.
Do you think I have a chance at getting into optometry school with the DAT (above avg score), a solid GPA, but bunch of experiences in dentistry? Would shadowing an optometrist be sufficient?
I think you will be fine for your application. I was in the same position as you last year. I switched from pre-med to pre-opto spring of my junior year and had zero experience with optometry (I had a lot of experience with medical, research, teaching, and volunteer stuff). My OAT scores were average (330 AA/310 TS), but I was able to balance that out with my GPA (3.864, unsure of my science GPA). I shadowed my optometrist for over a month last Christmas and that was plenty for the schools I applied to. As long as you have some experience in the field, good grades, and are able to speak confidently about your resume, you will be okay for optometry school. If you are still worried, I would apply early in the cycle to increase your chances of interviews and acceptances. I didn't submit my two applications until three weeks ago, but I got invited for both interviews and just got accepted into NECO yesterday, which happens to be my top school.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I think you will be fine for your application. I was in the same position as you last year. I switched from pre-med to pre-opto spring of my junior year and had zero experience with optometry (I had a lot of experience with medical, research, teaching, and volunteer stuff). My OAT scores were average (330 AA/310 TS), but I was able to balance that out with my GPA (3.864, unsure of my science GPA). I shadowed my optometrist for over a month last Christmas and that was plenty for the schools I applied to. As long as you have some experience in the field, good grades, and are able to speak confidently about your resume, you will be okay for optometry school. If you are still worried, I would apply early in the cycle to increase your chances of interviews and acceptances. I didn't submit my two applications until three weeks ago, but I got invited for both interviews and just got accepted into NECO yesterday, which happens to be my top school.
Nice, congrats! I think that's encouraging.
I'm actually planning on applying to both dental and optometry schools.
I know this is a random question, but do you know if interfolio can be used for optometry schools?

Nice, congrats! I think that's encouraging.
I'm actually planning on applying to both dental and optometry schools.
I know this is a random question, but do you know if interfolio can be used for optometry schools?
I'm not sure, but it's also really easy to ask for LORs through OptomCas if you end up doing both. Just make sure your LORs know that they have to submit the letter to two different links. Good luck!

Hi,
You have a shot at getting into a <300k dental school which will set you up to make bank as an owner. Do not give that up for opto where you'll make 1/2 initially compared to a dentist and 1/3-1/4 many years down the line

Most schools take the DAT now. I would begin shadowing, and just explain change of interest in application and interview. You should be fine.
Do you know if the reverse is true? I'm considering applying to dental schools and I have both OAT and DAT scores. Curious to see if I can apply with both (assuming my DAT score hasn't expired)

Last edited:
Do you know if the reverse is true? I'm considering applying to dental schools and I have both OAT and DAT scores. Curious to see if I can apply with both (assuming my DAT score hasn't expired)
I'm not sure... sorry

I doubt it. Dentistry is not as desperate yet. Your DAT will reign here (no PAT on the OAT).

You have a shot at getting into a <300k dental school which will set you up to make bank as an owner. Do not give that up for opto where you'll make 1/2 initially compared to a dentist and 1/3-1/4 many years down the line
OD's making half of what a dentist does starting out is simply not a true assumption.

The DAT is very similar to the OAT, so I think most schools will take it. Just be prepared to answer why you switched from dental to optometry, as I think most schools will ask that

Thank you all for your replies!
Another question is, should I include all the volunteer hours at the dental clinic when applying to optometry schools?
Would that be frowned upon because it conveys that I am more passionate about dentistry than optometry?

Thank you all for your replies!
Another question is, should I include all the volunteer hours at the dental clinic when applying to optometry schools?
Would that be frowned upon because it conveys that I am more passionate about dentistry than optometry?
I would want to make sure I focus on Optometry shadowing hours, so yes, especially if you don't have as many hours in Optometry vs Dentistry.