Dentistry and Beards

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ElPedorro

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
For us hairier folk- How do you all feel about having facial hair at interviews? In practice? I really dislike shaving with a razor and always have some trimmed stubble/very short beard. I clean up a nice neck and upper cheekbone line so my beard doesn't look scraggly. Personally, I don't think it looks unprofessional, but some may disagree. How do you all feel about this?

Members don't see this ad.

For us hairier folk- How do you all feel about having facial hair at interviews? In practice? I really dislike shaving with a razor and always have some trimmed stubble/very short beard. I clean up a nice neck and upper cheekbone line so my beard doesn't look scraggly. Personally, I don't think it looks unprofessional, but some may disagree. How do you all feel about this?

Eww. Imagine yourself as your patients. You wouldn't want the possibility of hair, especially the pubic looking ones, finding its way into your mouth, though there are worse things. You've raised I good point. I've never seen a dentist with a beard before.

Eww. Imagine yourself as your patients. You wouldn't want the possibility of hair, especially the pubic looking ones, finding its way into your mouth, though there are worse things. You've raised I good point. I've never seen a dentist with a beard before.

Google the ASDOH dean and you'll see your first. But I'm talking about stubble/super short beards - not pube beards. And you wear a mask when you work anyway.

Members don't see this ad :)
Google the ASDOH dean and you'll see your first. But I'm talking about stubble/super short beards - not pube beards. And you wear a mask when you work anyway.

Yeah I know they exist, but I've yet to see one in person.

Plenty of past threads about beards though.

Patients will be patients. Your call....

Nothing wrong with having a beard. I'm personally clean shaven here but I saw a lot of interviewers with nearly trimmed beards. Just use the normal Buissness protocol and you should be good.

Ah my bad, I should have searched first. Still new to this particular forum. Koala- I hear you, the only one I've seen was a younger dentist with a goatee, I haven't seen a dr.dillenberg caliber beard in the flesh yet.

Perio- thanks for the response! I will dress well and act professional, I just wasn't sure if older adcoms would be turned away by some facial hair.

I think a clean beard is acceptable in practice. My endodontist has a beard, I think it looks pretty classy. Depends on the person and how long/fresh it looks. As far as interviewing, I probably wouldn't risk it but that's just me.

Ah my bad, I should have searched first. Still new to this particular forum. Koala- I hear you, the only one I've seen was a younger dentist with a goatee, I haven't seen a dr.dillenberg caliber beard in the flesh yet.

Perio- thanks for the response! I will dress well and act professional, I just wasn't sure if older adcoms would be turned away by some facial hair.

New too!

Based on responses from previous threads, I think you'll be fine at the interview with or without it. Make sure it's well groomed.

And yeah I guess you could always wear something like this with another mask on top to cover the nose. I don't know much about practicing dentistry to the mass public with a beard though.

THE_DPBC-1000.jpg

Good luck at your interview!

Don't have any yet, but thanks for the luck!

Shave for your interviews then grown it back when you're in.

My endodontist has a beard, I think it looks pretty classy.

i see what you did there.

i'm bearded and will remain so throughout my interviews. furthermore, it's a little too late to unring the bell for some schools that request photos along with their supps.

and then there's this...
beardreavement1_sm.jpg

I know a few dentists with beards, and a few of the faulty at our schools have some clean, very short beards/goatees. In our class, we have one or two with "beards" and a couple (myself included) have the 4-5 day beard/long stubble. I went clean-shaven for interviews but have been wearing it since then (with the exception of mustache march, our school does a fundraiser, I went with the fu manchu). You may encounter an interviewer who is old school/very conservative and if you are a younger male, they expect you clean-shaven. That's just how it goes sometimes.

I'm french and only grow about eight hairs on each side of my lip... BUT... If I could grow a beard, I would!

I don't think they mind if it is well kept.

In practice, just remember that any part of your beard that is OUTSIDE of what the mask covers will get covered with the residual aerosol spray from the handpiece after it's "bounced" off your patients teeth and other parts of his/her oral cavity.

Beards, just like ties are just a big 'ol sponge to collect and soak up as much secondary cross contaminants as possible! :eek: Just saying.....

dr jeff is merely a doomsayer. don't let his negativity get in the way of your facial follicular goals.

just be sure not to bring a knife to a gunfight.

25359.jpg

dr jeff is merely a doomsayer. don't let his negativity get in the way of your facial follicular goals.

25359.jpg
What if you have to wear loupes?:eek:

i see what you did there.

i'm bearded and will remain so throughout my interviews. furthermore, it's a little too late to unring the bell for some schools that request photos along with their supps.

and then there's this...
beardreavement1_sm.jpg

25359.jpg

roll around with one of those headband type lights. More comfortable anyways imo.
Y'all mean like this:
ban7.jpg

I see your point. The weight of manhood, for some, was just too much indeed.

Keep it well trimmed and ya should be fine. As they say in the military, "Don't let it get to day 5".