Dentistry or Medicine???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrSroa

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I am a student at NYU. I was wondering whether Dentistry is better than Medicine or is it the other way around? I am coming to realize that in Dentistry, there is much more money and the lifestyle is an easy one, unlike doctors who are always on call and have to depend on insurance companies (HMO's, PPO's) to pay them their medical bills. If this is the case, I am thinking about switching over to dentistry? Another good thing about dental schools is that there is no residency. This is cool. :)

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

DrSroa said:
Hi,

I am a student at NYU. I was wondering whether Dentistry is better than Medicine or is it the other way around? I am coming to realize that in Dentistry, there is much more money and the lifestyle is an easy one, unlike doctors who are always on call and have to depend on insurance companies (HMO's, PPO's) to pay them their medical bills. If this is the case, I am thinking about switching over to dentistry? Another good thing about dental schools is that there is no residency. This is cool. :)

Thanks

it's up to you. there is no objective answer to your question. i could never see myself as a dentist. i have a close friend who is applying to dental school right now and it's a perfect match for him and he's really happy about his decision. the things you mention play a part in that. it's just not for me. i'm not that into drilling teeth. but talk to me about the possible reasons why someone has blood in their urine and i'm fasinated.
try shadowing a dentist and see it it appeals to you.

No one can argue that a Dentist's lifestyle is unappealing. A job where you can make over $200,000 a year by working hard 40hrs/week, no call, and few insurance troubles? Not a bad profession. I would say that, when it comes to compensation for their work, Dentists have it much better than physicians. But I would also say that a physician's work has the potential to be much more interesting and fulfilling to the right type of person. It's up to you to decide what interests you and what type of working environment you wish to practice in.

Members don't see this ad :)
DrSroa said:
Hi,

Thanks

You obviously have not contemplated the fundamental differences between dentistry and medicine, if you're posting such an obviously inane question and the superficial aspects of each career that you have listed above. Why don't you become a nurse? Or an acupunturist? Or perhaps a PA? Or an EMT. Figure it out for yourself.

both dentistry and medicine will pay more than posting stupid questions on message boards. so i suggest you do whichever you like better.

DrSroa said:
Hi,

Thanks

Dentistry, ehh? Sounds like someone wants to drill teeth until they're depressed and suicidal and take the easy way out with 9mm of cold lead.

MWillie said:
Dentistry, ehh? Sounds like someone wants to drill teeth until they're depressed and suicidal and take the easy way out with 9mm of cold lead.

That's just a stupid thing to say. Grow up.

You are looking at two very different professions. I think you need to determine what type of lifestyle you want and what type of career you would enjoy. It all depends on what is important to you. Where will you be happiest? I think you are the only one who can answer that question for yourself.

DrSroa said:
Hi,

Thanks

Do you like mouths? If you do, then dentistry is a good profession for you. If you don't, then it's not :)

8-) said:
That's just a stupid thing to say. Grow up.
It's proven that they have high suicide rates.

MWillie said:

Oh yeah jack-a$$. Those studies showed that doctors and dentists had almost equal (medicine slightly higher) suicide rates.

It's proven?! What publication/article are you speaking of? Shut your mouth.

delicious said:
Oh yeah jack-a$$. Those studies showed that doctors and dentists had almost equal (medicine slightly higher) suicide rates.

It's proven?! What publication/article are you speaking of? Shut your mouth.
Oh no, I've been called a name over the internet, and told to be quiet.
I don't need to prove anything, ha.

And my claim is as true as the claim in your signature.

MWillie said:

MWillie,

Whether it's true or not is besides the point. The way you said it showed complete disrespect for the profession. Don't put yourself above others just because you're going to be a doctor. I have a close friend in dental school who has better qualifications than many I know in medical school, and I'm sure she could have entered medical school if she had wanted to. Please, just respect everyone. :)

Go shadow a dentist and a doctor and see what works. I did this and wound up with dental. For me, reading endless pages of IM notes is incredibly boring, but seeing how to fix broken dentures 6 different ways is fascinating.

8-) said:
MWillie,

Whether it's true or not is besides the point. The way you said it showed complete disrespect for the profession. Don't put yourself above others just because you're going to be a doctor. I have a close friend in dental school who has better qualifications than many I know in medical school, and I'm sure she could have entered medical school if she had wanted to. Please, just respect everyone. :)
Ah yes, perhaps I should have been more sensitive. It was my way, if extreme, of pointing out that dentists do not enjoy the same type of respect and relationship with their patients that physicians do.

My post was mostly motivated by the silliness of the OP and his somewhat sad most money/ least work way of looking at the world and his career.