Dentistry or Pharmacy......in EGYPT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mikekijiji

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I am fro Canada, and planning to return to Canada. I am however facing a tough decision. I want to study either dentistry or pharmacy in Egypt. How tough is it to come back as a pharmacist from Egypt, and practice in Canada. And if anyone has experience, is the same difficulty both dentistry and pharmacy.

My biggest concern is my licence in Canada. and that is my decision factor, I keep hearing its almost impossible with the new procedure in 2011

would like some guidance

Thank You.

Members don't see this ad.

Dentistry is quite difficult and competitive. You either have to complete 2 years more of education or complete the direct licensing process. Please visit www.ndeb.ca for more information.

For more information about pharmacy please ask in that forum.

Members don't see this ad :)
Dentistry is quite difficult and competitive. You either have to complete 2 years more of education or complete the direct licensing process. Please visit www.ndeb.ca for more information.

For more information about pharmacy please ask in that forum.

Thank you for the info

I do know that but I'm just wondering would private dental schools prepare well enough for the 3 assessment test required in Canada or US

How hard is it to get accepted to International Placement Dentist program with that degree and how well prepared would I be from egyptian private dental schools

Any input would be greatly appreciated, since this would be literally a change in my whole life plan

Egyptian dentist here, class 2010, Cairo Uni.
Getting back to Canada will be tough, here are the stats for International Advanced Placement for UBC this year, including the NBDE AFK score needed:
http://www.dentistry.ubc.ca/Education/IDDCP/EntranceStatistics/pdf/EntranceStatistics-IDDCP-2012.pdf
Not to mention that Egyptian schools are not into problem based dentistry. It's mostly rote memorization and practice, so you'll find yourself at a disadvantage in that department when it comes to applying to a IDP back in Canada.

I am thinking about NDEB, and a couple of classmates are trying to crack it, but I won't recommend studying here if you have the choice. There are accredited programs in Australia and NZ, check them out. Make it your last resort.

I'm not an expert on pharma, but Egyptian pharmacists take a lot of time to crack the clinical aspect of the Canadian pharma board too.

Thank you for the info

I do know that but I'm just wondering would private dental schools prepare well enough for the 3 assessment test required in Canada or US

How hard is it to get accepted to International Placement Dentist program with that degree and how well prepared would I be from egyptian private dental schools

Any input would be greatly appreciated, since this would be literally a change in my whole life plan

I was done high school from Canada then went to Egypt with my parents ,, did dentistry in MIU class of 2007. Moved back to Toronto in 2010
I can say that MIU is considered one of the best schools in Cairo ,,toughest !! My difficulties when I moved back here weren't the quality of education , I just took longer than average to take step 1 board.
I had the chance of going to school here ( both undergrad and dental school) but I preferred to be around my parents ,, if I have to say something I'd say dont go to the middle east then come back here! Its doable but NOT easy ! Private schools are good ! But you won't qualify here till you meet the requirements !
So if you have the chance of staying here ..then stay .
coz its like a shortcut that takes you longer ..especially if you will be taking the Canadian licensing tests. Unless you have someone to financially support you during the time U'll be preparing for the exams here in Canada after you r done from Egypt.
That's my own experience..shared it coz it might help
Good luck

Last edited:
I know a student in my PharmD program who was a pharmacist in Egypt before coming to the US. While he didn't have to redo the entire PharmD program, he did have to take a significant part of it over again, especially with respect to the patient care end of everything. I don't know if he's the usual case or if the same would happen in Canada, but you should definitely check into it before committing.

Also no one knows for sure when the direct licensing process will close. I feel that it will not last forever as history shows the last time it only lasted for sometime. If it does close than your only choice will be to complete the 2 year program.

Thank you everyone for the info, so many things are more clear to me now!

Honestly I feel like taking the 2 years program would be a good idea to prepare for OSCE and written anyway, so might as well

If anything, I ask from people who got their dental degrees from Egypt and came back to Canada to share the scores they got in the 3 assessments tests, and which one they found easiest and which hardest to prepare for?

I know it's not easy coming back here, but at least I have better chance to kill myself and try to do AFK tests and get accepted to IDP program here than to try kill myself and get accepted to dental school here

Quoted from another post of mine:

"Im in second year biology undergraduate major (4 years total) in york university canada which leads to specifically nothing but if you dont get 85% average, you are not going to get accepted to local canadian schools.You must also have a good resume which includes volunteer (shadowing) at dentist, hospital, sport for good resume for interview ...

OR I can apply for US dental school and that would take astronomical amount of money from me (debt) and need high DAT scores (short time intense curving and knowledge testing needed for both canadian and us dental schools)

york's lecture halls are massive and the labs are not at the top. The teacher may or may not know the material but in all cases they cannot properly teach... we have lab TAs that cannot fluently speak english to even teach

and worst of all... The average of every midterm (15-30% each) is low to mid 60s... No mater how hard I try its gone down the drain..."

Plus every dental student says that the first two dental school years here are two times at least harder than undergraduate :eek:
Screw that!

Also no one knows for sure when the direct licensing process will close. I feel that it will not last forever as history shows the last time it only lasted for sometime. If it does close than your only choice will be to complete the 2 year program.

True. In the 1990s it was open for several years and then closed. It is cyclical. The pass rate is less than 10%, anyway, so it is very tough.