dentistry overseas

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

omaralt

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey guys, i just had a few questions about practicing overseas:

1- whats the average pay for dentists overseas (mostly talking about europe, UK)?
2- is my degree (DMD, DDS, whatever it may be) accepted throughout the world? i know for example the MD degree is accepted everywhere, but the DO is not.
3- i've heard that some places on top of ur income, they pay for everything, house, car, living expenses, etc.

if there is any website with info about international jobs for dentists, please let me know. thanks

omar

Members don't see this ad.

omaralt said:
hey guys, i just had a few questions about practicing overseas:

1- whats the average pay for dentists overseas (mostly talking about europe, UK)?
2- is my degree (DMD, DDS, whatever it may be) accepted throughout the world? i know for example the MD degree is accepted everywhere, but the DO is not.
3- i've heard that some places on top of ur income, they pay for everything, house, car, living expenses, etc.

if there is any website with info about international jobs for dentists, please let me know. thanks

omar

I know a bit about the UK because I lived there for one year and was at one time considering doing dentistry over there:

1. The pay is nothing like over here......over there, dentistry is socialized, unlike here where it is private.....so you get paid a salary which is not high.....dont get me wrong......dentists there make a good living, but nothing compared to the standard of living over here......

2. BDS from England is accepted everywhere, but you gotta write entrance exams and do extra years of dental school in a US/Canadian dental school to practice here

3. I have never heard about this, but if this is true, I am guessing that you would have to practice in the middle of a sheep farm in rural England.......

After living in the UK for one year......trust me, you dont want to live in England.....

omaralt said:

Check the ADA.org website. I remember seing there some ads for US dentists in Saudi Arabia. The Middle Eastern International Forum here on SDN has some info on that too.

About UK, run a search on the International Dental Forum. Mrnalini posted a thread with the requirements for foreign dentists to practice in the UK. She has gone trough a lot there, so sounds very hard, specially 'cause there's no help from anyone. :(

I'm sure on DentalTown you can probably find some info too. They also have International forums there, but not with students, but proffesionals.

Members don't see this ad :)
Dr.BadVibes said:
I know a bit about the UK because I lived there for one year and was at one time considering doing dentistry over there:

1. The pay is nothing like over here......over there, dentistry is socialized, unlike here where it is private.....so you get paid a salary which is not high.....dont get me wrong......dentists there make a good living, but nothing compared to the standard of living over here......

2. BDS from England is accepted everywhere, but you gotta write entrance exams and do extra years of dental school in a US/Canadian dental school to practice here

3. I have never heard about this, but if this is true, I am guessing that you would have to practice in the middle of a sheep farm in rural England.......

After living in the UK for one year......trust me, you dont want to live in England.....
I concur this 110%.

I grew up there - and I hated it, let alone go to graduate school there.

To the OP: UK its a completely a different world out-there. You should seriously consider visiting there 1st, before moving there.

About your 3rd question - I heard some middle-eastern countries offer those kind of stuff for American Professionals practicing in the middle-east. I couldn't tell you which country, probably UAE or Saudi-Arabia!

My friend's father practiced in Dubai with his american degree and loved it. He said that a lot of people paid cash up front and he made out better than he would have in the US.

I don't know much about the UK, but...you should check out the International Student Forums. I am sure they would be able to help out a lot.

When I was living in Australia, I thought of staying and attending dental school there. Unfortunately, the courses start in undergrad and it's about a 7-year program. Dentists are not respected the way that they are in the United States either. I think a US dental degree is more powerful and so I decided that I would attend dental school in the US in the location that most closely models Brisbane. :)

I'm not really sure if you are interested in living abroad for the rest of your life and practicing dentistry in one country or if you are interested in practicing in several. The situation depends upon the country you are working in entirely.

From experience in Southeast Asia, I know they really need a lot more dentists. The dentist:patient ratios are devestating. There are a lot of programs for placing dentists in other countries such as Doctors without Borders and the Peace Corps. I don't think the pay is lucrative by American standards, but for whatever location you wish to be in the pay is better than the average citizen of that country. I find these sorts of things places and programs interest me a great deal and the money that I would be making is the least of my concerns. I think that you will find the best standards for making a lot of money with dentistry in the United States honestly. But if you think there's somewhere else in the world you would like to practice, I am sure you can make the most of whatever living conditions you happen to be in.

Good luck.
Jessica

Hi,
Anyone has idea about dentistry in Singapore. That's a pretty developed country, good place to live in. how do dentists do there? what are the criteria for practising on a US degree? Are they in demand or not? any relevant details will be appreciated.