Dentistry vs Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Memphis10

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am having a hard time trying to choose between Dentistry and Medicine. I know this is a Medicine forum and I'm trying to get help from pre med students and med students now instead of pre dental and dental students.

I like working in an hospital, but then again I will also like to own my business.
I haven't heard many good things about the Medical residency.

Members don't see this ad.

Medicine has so many options in terms of specialties, each has a different residency style and form of practice. You can't just generalize medicine as this or that.

But to become a surgeon it is a long process before you become an attending

Members don't see this ad :)
General surgeory, but then again I was thinking about cardiovascular surgeon

ok but either specialty I choose most surgeons work 60-80 hours a week right?

I am having a hard time trying to choose between Dentistry and Medicine. I know this is a Medicine forum and I'm trying to get help from pre med students and med students now instead of pre dental and dental students.

I like working in an hospital, but then again I will also like to own my business.

if you're asking yourself the question, that means you should choose dentistry. If you would really like to be a MD, you wouldn't even think about dentistry.

ok but either specialty I choose most surgeons work 60-80 hours a week right?
Not necessarily. General surgeons work average of 58 hours a week. Otolaryngologists an average of 52 and those lazy eye surgeons an average of 43.

I want to be an MD, but I'm trying to figure out is it worth it? I like surgery and working in a hospital, but I wouldn't mind owning my own business

Surgeons can work long hours, and most don't run their own small business. If you are interested in running your own business, dentistry might be a better fit.

As for residency, yeah it sucks. You can't avoid it if you want to be a doctor, but dentists dont' have to do a residency. However, both careers require hard work in school and once you leave.

Medicine also offers more choices in specialities, while dentistry is more limited. It really comes down to what you are interested in. Medical doctors can also own their own business, just not surgeons (in general).

Members don't see this ad :)
Ok I think I will stick with Dentistry, but still not sure

I shadowed a pediatrician who owned his own private and small clinic.

to the OP, not to be rude but I think instead of asking strangers on SDN you should ask yourself and the people who know you very well. you have to make the decision based on your interest and personality...which we don't know anything about.

to the OP, not to be rude but I think instead of asking strangers on SDN you should ask yourself and the people who know you very well. you have to make the decision based on your interest and personality...which we don't know anything about.

Yeah, this is kinda like that episode of "Everybody Loves Raymond" where Robert can't decide for himself if he wants to retire from being a cop or wheter he should sell alarm systems full time.

I had to make this choice. Basically, I didn't think that I would be applying myself/satisfying my life/fullfilling my potential as a dentist.

Life is short. Go with your gut.

Have you considered Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery.

The typical training program for a U.S. Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon is:

* 4 Years Undergraduate Study (BA, BS, or equivalent)
* 4 Years Graduate Dental Study (DMD or DDS)
* 4 - 6 Years Residency Training (6 Year training includes MD Degree)
* Total Length after Secondary School: 12 - 14 Years

And the yearly salary is pretty nice, so try it since you seem to have a passion for both :thumbup: I might go this route BTW, but I am leaning towards pediatric oncology.

I want to be an MD, but I'm trying to figure out is it worth it? I like surgery and working in a hospital, but I wouldn't mind owning my own business

A lot of people say this, especially predents, but have you really thought out what that would actually entail?

On top of all the stuff you have to do for patients, you have the stress related to the rent on the building, dealing with the staff, the equipment, repairs, decorating, health inspections, insurance, etc

It can be done, sure, but it's just more stuff you have to worry about.

Just thought I should mention it since nobody ever does.

I think you're really having a hard time figuring out whether or not you'll even get into medical school. I bet you're using Dent as a fallback option. At least the pay is good. If you really want the MD, then you'll earn it by going the extra mile. If not, then you'll be telling people you are a dentist and not a doctor.

Yes, all of you are right my freshman year in college I was Pre Med, Then people started telling me how hard it is to get in med School like my boss who applied and didn't get accepted now he is an Assistiant Manager at a retail store and my advisor. Its a hard decision yesterday I was pre dental today I'm pre Med.

Have you considered Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery.

The typical training program for a U.S. Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon is:

* 4 Years Undergraduate Study (BA, BS, or equivalent)
* 4 Years Graduate Dental Study (DMD or DDS)
* 4 - 6 Years Residency Training (6 Year training includes MD Degree)
* Total Length after Secondary School: 12 - 14 Years

And the yearly salary is pretty nice, so try it since you seem to have a passion for both :thumbup: I might go this route BTW, but I am leaning towards pediatric oncology.

Yeah my friend's doing that. You have to destroy the DAT though to get into that.
As a sidenote, the dental girls are WAY hotter than med students. I have seen the situation with my own eyes!

Yeah my friend's doing that. You have to destroy the DAT though to get into that.
As a sidenote, the dental girls are WAY hotter than med students. I have seen the situation with my own eyes!

Getting into OMFS has very little to do with how well you did on the DAT and everything to do with how well you do in dental school, ie;class rank, board scores, etc.

yeah you are right on that OMFS is also very competitive