Dentistry vs. Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Enzyme1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, this may have been discussed to ridiculous lengths, but I couldn't help to none the less muster up some thoughts.

Been hearing lately that dentistry has less on-call, less hours, less suing issues, and less of a hassle overall. I've also read that they make comparable salaries, sometimes more if you go the orthodontic or oral surgery route. Only issue is this: you are confined to teeth.

Does anyone else find the notion of working on teeth for your entire career rather frustrating or even depressing? I in no way am intending to mock dentists, as they are just as vital to our well-being as doctors (I have healthy + straight teeth so I'm grateful), just wanted to garner thoughts on this issue and see what others think when we compare the two fields from a total viewpoint (satisfaction, income, lifestyle, etc).

What would be real awesome is if anyone here personally knows both dentists and doctors and can speak with these people, get their views and jot some thoughts on what each said. For example I've been reading dentists have the highest suicide rates (obviously this should be dispelled) but if true can anyone confirm? The biggest thing that reached my mind was when I read in other forums where current residents said if they could do it over again, they'd choose dentistry because of the hours or lifestyle instead. Anyone have anything to share here please? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi guys, this may have been discussed to ridiculous lengths, but I couldn't help to none the less muster up some thoughts.

Been hearing lately that dentistry has less on-call, less hours, less suing issues, and less of a hassle overall. I've also read that they make comparable salaries, sometimes more if you go the orthodontic or oral surgery route. Only issue is this: you are confined to teeth.

Does anyone else find the notion of working on teeth for your entire career rather frustrating or even depressing? I in no way am intending to mock dentists, as they are just as vital to our well-being as doctors (I have healthy + straight teeth so I'm grateful), just wanted to garner thoughts on this issue and see what others think when we compare the two fields from a total viewpoint (satisfaction, income, lifestyle, etc).

What would be real awesome is if anyone here personally knows both dentists and doctors and can speak with these people, get their views and jot some thoughts on what each said. For example I've been reading dentists have the highest suicide rates (obviously this should be dispelled) but if true can anyone confirm? The biggest thing that reached my mind was when I read in other forums where current residents said if they could do it over again, they'd choose dentistry because of the hours or lifestyle instead. Anyone have anything to share here please? Thanks.

Hmmmmm........... I think your best answer will come from shadowing both professions and coming up with an educated answer of your own rather than the widely varied opinions here on SDN. Here in central-southern FL, starting out dentist are making <150k a year. But this number can vary depending on if you work for a private or corporate office. But I think the money should only be secondary to whether you enjoy what you do for a living. If you are happy confining yourself to the head and neck (not just the teeth), then look into pursuing that career. If you enjoy diagnosing the rest of the body systems as well, then look into the physician route. If the above stated is what you are concerned with, why not look into becoming a PA? Two years total, no residency, no insurance headaches, can work in any specialty or switch throughout your career, make decent money ( >100k). I would suggest finding out what you REALLY want to do, then the rest of the BS will seem trivial in comparison to being happy and confident in your career choice.
Best of look on your decision. :thumbup: