Dentistry vs. Medicine

Started by DrNo1
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Are you guys really arguing that getting into top notch medical schools isn't harder than getting into top notch dental schools? Don't be ridiculous, of course it's harder. I agree that guy said some pretty insulting things, but that doesn't mean that his original point was wrong.

More importantly, why do any of you care? I see people talking about how dental school is harder than med school, or dental school is harder to get into, it's ridiculous. When you trash another profession like that it just makes you seem jealous. If you're jealous of physicians, then go to med school. Don't go to dental school and say "oh I'm so much smarter than med school people." Even if you are, it doesn't matter. They're both good professions that perform a public service. Make your choice and do it, don't worry about what other people are doing.
 
Less competitive admissions? People still believe that?

One of the reasons people prefer dentistry is the aspect of a private practice ("You can be your own boss"). That's a clinical setting. What exactly is lacking?

If you think dentistry is just in it for the money and no service, let me tell you that one of dentistry's specialties is public health dentistry

One of the nine.... /LOTR
 
This topic is pointless. In order to pursue either of these highly regarded programs, one must ( or should be) committed to whatever their passion is. Whether it be dentistry or medicine. There shouldnt be bickering because we ideally should be pursuing our ideal careers since it is such a heavy undertaking. I myself want to be a dentist and will be beginning my dental education this fall. I have tremendous respect for all disciplines of medicine, dentistry etc... Because these programs are not easy, nor is the journey to get there. At the end of the day, be the best physician or dentist you can be, and hopefully the field you end up in is the one you fit best into. We are all going into highly coveted programs that merit great respect. So let's leave it at that. Best of luck to you all.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
To boss3:

UltimateHombre basically said what I was going to say in response to your post, but I will add to it.

GPA is the only objective, quantifiable, measurable factor out there that can be used to make conclusions. Other factors (ECs, Entrance Exam Difficulty, Interview Skills, etc) are subjective and thus not quantifiable and measurable. I am basically making the conclusion that medical school is harder to get into based on GPA only and holding other factors (ECs, interviews, constant. It is essentially a model to predict which profession is more competitive to get into based on the available objective information available. However, this model may not hold true in the real world because the other factors (ECs, interview, etc) are obviously not constant, but we don't have a way to measure it. In the future, we might have a way to measure it and thus we will incorporate the new information into a current model. Most concepts (newton's laws or economic principles for example) are explained with assumptions and as new information comes in, people modify the model to incorporate the new information.

Basically I'm saying that if you are going to draw a conclusion on which profession is harder to get into, you have to create a model to keep certain factors constant. Otherwise, in the real world, the other factors (ECs, interviews, etc) are not measurable and thus you can't come up with a conclusion of which is harder. Now its my turn to hope you understand what I'm saying 🙂.

To johnnydrama:

I'm going to be try to be as nice as possible, but you are a really ignorant person. I find this statement below completely false.

"If you look at dental students and medical students at the same institution, thedental students are at least less intellectually curious if not outright less intelligent."

What evidence do you have to make this conclusion? I'm guessing anecdotal evidence? The world would be a better place if people didn't make conclusions to apply to all dentists based on their personal experiences lol.

The TOP dent applicants getting into "TOP" dental schools can get into top medical schools and vice versa. When your a TOP applicant, its a matter of choice of which profession you decide to pursue based on your personal goals. This goes for TOP engineering students and others as well. Just because your a TOP applicant that decided to go into medicine doesn't mean your more intellectually curious or smarter than other TOP applicants that go into different professions.

And your article is not new stuff. It's known that financial security is one of the reasons people decide to pursue dentistry. However, it's not right to conclude that most or all pre-dents pursue dentistry for that reason. In fact, the research acknowledges that fact that it can only be applied to students for that particular university because they used a small sample and only sampled from that school. I still don't get how the article applies to your argument that top medical students are intellectually superior to top dental students.

This article shows you are trying to prove that medical students are compassionate, white knights trying to save the world, while dentists are money-hungry evil monsters lol.
 
More importantly, why do any of you care? I see people talking about how dental school is harder than med school, or dental school is harder to get into, it's ridiculous. When you trash another profession like that it just makes you seem jealous. If you're jealous of physicians, then go to med school. Don't go to dental school and say "oh I'm so much smarter than med school people." Even if you are, it doesn't matter. They're both good professions that perform a public service. Make your choice and do it, don't worry about what other people are doing.

Read and learn from someone who gets it... I'm sure the factor people are getting caught up on is desiring prestige, and that isn't an inherently bad thing, but there are far less trite ways to gain it

Edit: still kind of tempted to draw pre-allo here just for the sparks though
 
Read and learn from someone who gets it... I'm sure the factor people are getting caught up on is desiring prestige, and that isn't an inherently bad thing, but there are far less trite ways to gain it

Edit: still kind of tempted to draw pre-allo here just for the sparks though

+1 and a good lol
 
Read and learn from someone who gets it... I'm sure the factor people are getting caught up on is desiring prestige, and that isn't an inherently bad thing, but there are far less trite ways to gain it

Edit: still kind of tempted to draw pre-allo here just for the sparks though

You bring the popcorn and I'm in 😉
 
Why don't we argue president vs physician or better yet god? Lol. The truth is for most people is if we wanted to be physicians we would have gone to medical school. As far as medical students being more curious scientifically.... I have a PhD, and have been in biomedical research for years. Several of my friends have as well. I believe that collectively all individuals going into the healthcare field possess this curiosity being that medicine/ dentistry/ nursing or whatever is innately scientific. I would end this thread. I believe once we are all actually in our respective programs this sdn thread wars should be the least of our worries. But I admit, it is sort of entertaining.
 
1j1ta.gif
 
Besides the fact that this part comes off as defensive, the same ignorance you're labeling the poster with is what you're showing right now. Just by looking at the GPA averages alone for med school and dental school matriculates, the higher average goes to medical students; and there's nothing wrong or shameful about that. You don't need to feel like equalizing yourself to them to make dentistry a valid career choice.

Ya im always stunned when I hear people say its harder to get into xxx than med school..... maybe among the average competitor to that program... but on average the scores of a competitive med applicant are higher. Its just the way it is
 
Ya im always stunned when I hear people say its harder to get into xxx than med school..... maybe among the average competitor to that program... but on average the scores of a competitive med applicant are higher. Its just the way it is


People will do whatever it takes to not feel inferior to the other guy.
 
Well... I got a 37 (12/12/13) on the MCAT and did far worse on the DAT 19AA (for me this is worse in terms of how I did on the MCAT) I felt like the DAT was easier I just didnt prepare as well as I did for the MCAT... I applied to both med schools and dental schools... I got into many medical schools and several dental schools..I ended up choosing to go to dental school because dentistry is where my true passion lies..my dad is an ER physician and my mom is a critical care nurse.. I have seen how unhappy many doctors in the hospital are unhappy with their professions right now...At least in the ER the general consensus is that the physicians feel like they are being told by a bunch of guys with MBA's how to practice medicine instead of actually treating the patients how they should be treated. (EX: The use of TPA in the ER on high risk patients, satisfying drug seekers with their prescriptions because the physician will recieve backlash from higher ups if they dont, and several other things that I could get into...)There are many very competent dental students who dont just choose dental school because they were afraid to take the MCAT or they thought med school would be too"hard" to get into...comparing the intelligence of dental and med school students is completely pointless and stupid...