Dentists

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
fun8stuff said:
this website demonstrates part of the problem. no disrespect to your professions, but physician has traditional been reserved for MDs/DOs. No matter how much you talk your profession up, it is not the equivelant of a MD/DO. if you look in most dictionaries, it will state the traditional meaning of the word.... http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=physician&db=*
just because you walk and talk like a duck (and even participate in a few duck activities), doesn't make you a duck.

this would be like me enlisting in the reserve army and claiming i have the training of a marine because i went to bootcamp. i mean afterall, i did a lot of situps and pushups in my bootcamp... even had a lot of drills... my training must make me a marine!

Like I said, there are many definitions of what a "Physician" is. If one entity defines a "duck" as something that walks and talks like a duck, then as far as they are concerned, based on their definition, its a duck. Plus, you're missing the point. No one is trying to be an MD/DO with different letters behind their name. A physician is not necessarily defined as an MD but rather an MD is defined as a physician. This conversation is going nowhere. My personal opinion is that who cares who wants to be called a physician as long as the state defines them as such. There are more important things to worry about, like how to make health care more affordable while at the same time not jeopardizing the integrity of health services. It seems that there is too much emphasis on who is better than who and "I deserve more prestige than you" rather than the well-being of the patient. Or maybe its just SDN.

Members don't see this ad.

phy·si·cian (fĭ-zĭsh'ən)
n.
1. A person licensed to practice medicine; a medical doctor. (Sorry DO's!)
2. A person who practices general medicine as distinct from surgery. (Sorry Surgeons!)
3. A person who heals or exerts a healing influence. (My Mom's a physician, YIPPEEEEE!)

[Middle English fisicien, from Old French, from fisique, medical science. See physic.]

This is getting silly guys :)

jonwill said:
phy·si·cian (fĭ-zĭsh'ən)
n.

That definition would include DO's. DO's practice Osteopathic medicine. We are medical doctors. It didn't say Allopathic Medicine.

Members don't see this ad :)
rahulazcom said:
I don't think it's a turf war. I think the only people making a big deal of this are the very very few dentists, chiropractors and podiatrists who insist they must have "physician" in their title. There is a reason the overwhelming majority of them do not refer to themselves as "physicians." And this is because they are secure with themselves and proud of their fields, and they don't feel the need to associate themselves with physicians to earn respect.

Who are these dentists that "instist they must have 'phsician' in their title?" I've never met one. It must be as common as physicians that want to be called dentists.

blotterspotter said:
Who are these dentists that "instist they must have 'phsician' in their title?" I've never met one. It must be as common as physicians that want to be called dentists.

i have not heard of a dentist like this either... however i have met many (or seen many) podiatrists and chiropractors who want to call themselves physicians. Perhaps this stems from the fact that a majority of chiropractors & podiatrists started out as premed and didnt make the cut. This is what I have always assumed.

Although this may sound trivial, it is important that the public be able to distinguish the difference in training. For example, I know of a guy who died because he went off his blood pressure medicine because a chiropractic physician told him a natural herb would work better. The guy assumed he went to medical school because he called himself a physician.

i think most people would laugh at a student who just went through ROTC and army bootcamp in college who referred to himself as a marine. People who refer to themselves as physicians who have not went through med school are doing the same thing- trying to boost themselves up a notch.

rahulazcom said:
That definition would include DO's. DO's practice Osteopathic medicine. We are medical doctors. It didn't say Allopathic Medicine.
Well then it would include Doctors of Podiatric Medicine (DPM's) as well. That's not my point. My point is that a "physician" is defined in many different ways. So, whatever floats your boat!

jonwill said:
phy·si·cian (fĭ-zĭsh'ən)
n.
2. A person who practices general medicine as distinct from surgery. (Sorry Surgeons!)
3. A person who heals or exerts a healing influence. (My Mom's a physician, YIPPEEEEE!)

[Middle English fisicien, from Old French, from fisique, medical science. See physic.]

This is getting silly guys :)

Main Entry: phy·si·cian
Pronunciation: f&-'zish-&n
Function: noun
: a skilled health-care professional trained and licensed to practice medicine; specifically : a doctor of medicine or osteopathy

Source: Merriam-Webster's Medical Dictionary, © 2002 Merriam-Webster, Inc.

blotterspotter said:
Who are these dentists that "instist they must have 'phsician' in their title?" I've never met one.

I have never met one either. I was just taking someone else's word that some dentists do this. And I found that hard to believe which is why I argued that very very few do this if any. I'm on your side. I don't know of any dentists that refer to themselves as physician in any capacity. Why would they have to? This whole idea is silly

fun8stuff said:
Main Entry: phy·si·cian
Pronunciation: f&-'zish-&n
Function: noun
: a skilled health-care professional trained and licensed to practice medicine; specifically : a doctor of medicine or osteopathy

Source: Merriam-Webster's Medical Dictionary, © 2002 Merriam-Webster, Inc.

Yep, yet another definition. I do have a question though. I was told by a dental student that dental schools are now putting DMD (doctor of medical dentistry) on their diplomas instead of DDS. Is this true? I was under the impression that a DMD was an oral surgeon.

jonwill said:
My point is that a "physician" is defined in many different ways. So, whatever floats your boat!

I could create a random health website with a dictionary that defines Physician to include nurses as well. Then by your logic, nurses should be called physicians too. Whatever floats your boat right?

rahulazcom said:
I could create a random health website with a dictionary that defines Physician to include nurses as well. Then by your logic, nurses should be called physicians too. Whatever floats your boat right?
You're right, you could. And in the end, it still really wouldn't matter. Who cares?

fun8stuff said:
i have not heard of a dentist like this either... however i have met many (or seen many) podiatrists and chiropractors who want to call themselves physicians. Perhaps this stems from the fact that a majority of chiropractors & podiatrists started out as premed and didnt make the cut. This is what I have always assumed.

Although this may sound trivial, it is important that the public be able to distinguish the difference in training. For example, I know of a guy who died because he went off his blood pressure medicine because a chiropractic physician told him a natural herb would work better. The guy assumed he went to medical school because he called himself a physician.

i think most people would laugh at a student who just went through ROTC and army bootcamp in college who referred to himself as a marine. People who refer to themselves as physicians who have not went through med school are doing the same thing- trying to boost themselves up a notch.

Since you lumped podiatrists with chiros I just had to ask. Im not being defensive, Im just curious. What is the difference between the education that you are receiving in DO school and what I am receiving in DPM school? If you want to do some research, I attend DMU.

jonwill said:
You're right, you could. And in the end, it still really wouldn't matter. Who cares?

Well, apparently it does matter to some people who took the effort to change their title to incorporate the word "physician" in it.

Members don't see this ad :)
randersen said:
What is the difference between the education that you are receiving in DO school and what I am receiving in DPM school? If you want to do some research, I attend DMU.

And what is the difference between your education and that of any M.D. school for that matter?

At AZCOM, the podiatry students differ from us in that they take podiatry classes in their non-basic science classes where we take clinical classes like ICM and Clinical Correlates. They don't do every rotation we do during our clinical years too.

rahulazcom said:
Well, apparently it does matter to some people who took the effort to change their title to incorporate the word "physician" in it.

What do you say to the MD's that don't consider DO's to be physicians (and please tell me that you don't refer them to the dictionary website!)?

jonwill said:
Yep, yet another definition. I do have a question though. I was told by a dental student that dental schools are now putting DMD (doctor of medical dentistry) on their diplomas instead of DDS. Is this true? I was under the impression that a DMD was an oral surgeon.

Dentistry has been granting the DMD title since the 1800s, back when most practicing dentists and physicians didn't have much more than on-the-job training anyway.

Oral surgeons hold the same degree as other dentists, but a small percentage are dual-degreed (DMD/DDS and MD).

jonwill said:
What do you say to the MD's that don't consider DO's to be physicians (and please tell me that you don't refer them to the dictionary website!)?

That's a different argument altogether. Even the most cynical M.D. knows DO's and FMG's are physicians. He would never argue that. However, he would argue we are inferior because our respective schools are easier to get into versus a U.S. Allopathic school.

rahulazcom said:
And what is the difference between your education and that of any M.D. school for that matter?

I dont really know what that meant, did you want me to say medical school instead of DO school? Anyway, I feel like I am insulting my own intelligence just by participating in this thread so I will sign off with this; "Physician" is only a word. It doesnt change how professions will practice, only how they will get paid by insurances. Remember, at one time Osteopathic schools were not considered medical schools nor were they considered "physicians". Things change.

randersen said:
Since you lumped podiatrists with chiros I just had to ask. Im not being defensive, Im just curious. What is the difference between the education that you are receiving in DO school and what I am receiving in DPM school? If you want to do some research, I attend DMU.

not that it matters much, but i am at a MD school. the difference should be obvious by looking at the end product. Med schools train physicians in the aspects of health that deal with the whole body. You have to realize that just because you take some classes with MD students doesn't make you an MD- which is why you will only be licensed as a foot doctor.

Years 1&2 are not what makes a physician, a physician. Years1&2 lay down the very basics so that med students can learn how to be physicians in years 3&4 and on into residency. What do you do in years 3&4? Do you rotate through hospitals/clinics in family medicine, OB-GYN, internal medicine, radiology, pediatrics, general surgery (not foot surgery), neurology, etc? Do you take the same shelf exams these years? Your training may similar to a MD/DO, but it's not the same- not by a long shot. The foot is emphasized in your education (After you have had basic sciences). Please provide links that show othewise. I find it hard to believe you would have the exact same training and yet get another degree and spend your training only on the foot/ankle.

With that said... i don't think i would group podiatry with chiropractic. Podiatry is miles above chiropractic.... as in- there is actually evidence to back it up and you are trained in evidence based medicine. I was just making the comment above that a lot of chiropractors and podiatrists try and make themselves equivalant to MD/DOs- which is completely wrong.

randersen said:
"Physician" is only a word. It doesnt change how professions will practice, only how they will get paid by insurances. Remember, at one time Osteopathic schools were not considered medical schools nor were they considered "physicians". Things change.

If it's just a word, why are only M.D.'s, D.O.'s and dental students applying for oral surgery programs allowed to participate in the match. Maybe it has something to do with the fact that the match is for PHYSICIANS.

I will be more than happy to call a podiatrist a physician when

a.) They are allowed to sit for the USMLE I,II, and III
b.) They are allowed to participate in the match aka application for residency

fun8stuff said:
not that it matters much, but i am at a MD school. the difference should be obvious by looking at the end product. Med schools train physicians in the aspects of health that deal with the whole body. You have to realize that just because you take some classes with MD students doesn't make you an MD- which is why you will only be licensed as a foot doctor.

Years 1&2 are not what makes a physician, a physician. Years1&2 lay down the very basics so that med students can learn how to be physicians in years 3&4 and on into residency. What do you do in years 3&4? Do you rotate through hospitals/clinics in family medicine, OB-GYN, internal medicine, radiology, pediatrics, general surgery (not foot surgery), neurology, etc? Do you take the same shelf exams these years? Your training may similar to a MD/DO, but it's not the same- not by a long shot. The foot is emphasized in your education (After you have had basic sciences).

Guess what, we do rotate thru various services E.R., Internal med, ortho, private practice, general surgery, plastics, derm, etc. it just dosen't happen the same time you have your rotations. I am glad to see that you give us some respect. This pissing contest is incredible waste of time. Future podiatric physician

rahulazcom said:
If it's just a word, why are only M.D.'s, D.O.'s and dental students applying for oral surgery programs allowed to participate in the match. Maybe it has something to do with the fact that the match is for PHYSICIANS.

The fact of the matter is that Pods are defined as physicians by law in most states but it really doesn't matter. I have a feeling that you are not yet in the clinical aspect of your medical training. You will learn soon enough how it all works. However, when the chief of medical staff at the hospital your rotating at is a podiatrist (like the last hospital I was at), I would invite you to go tell him that he's not a "real physician"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

rahulazcom said:

We have a match and crps just like you. our dean will one day have us sit for usmle I the time is approaching. We take boards to it is just a different governing body just like comlex.

psionic_blast said:
We have a match and crps just like you. our dean will one day have us sit for usmle I the time is approaching. We take boards to it is just a different governing body just like comlex.

Unlike podiatrists, we can sit for the USMLE and apply to the allopathic (M.D.) match because our training is considered identical. As of now, they ACGME does not recognize your training as being identical.

Maybe things will change in the future and when they do, I will call podiatrists "physicians."

rahulazcom said:
Unlike podiatrists, we can sit for the USMLE and apply to the allopathic (M.D.) match because our training is considered identical. As of now, they ACGME does not consider your training identical.

Maybe things will change in the future and when they do, I will call podiatrists "physicians."
I'm done with this. Good luck to you. As I said, soon enough, you'll find out how it all works. And I think you'll be quite shocked! The bottom line is as long as I can prescribe drugs, admit patients, medically and surgically manage my patients, I really don't care what you call me. Take care of the AZPOD boys.

jonwill said:
The fact of the matter is that Pods are defined as physicians by law in most states but it really doesn't matter. I have a feeling that you are not yet in the clinical aspect of your medical training. You will learn soon enough how it all works. However, when the chief of medical staff at the hospital your rotating at is a podiatrist (like the last hospital I was at), I would invite you to go tell him that he's not a "real physician"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The chief of the hospital medical staff has more to do with policy and politics. Was this podiatrist the Chairman of Internal Medicine or Surgery? Was this podiatrist a chief resident or an attending giving orders to other medical students and residents. No, I didn't think so

You said "most" states so many states do not recognize podiatrists as physicians. Every state recognizes M.D.'s and D.O.'s as physicians.

And why don't you write to the people in charge of ERAS. Tell them you should be allowed to fill out of one these because you are a "physician"
http://www.aamc.org/audienceeras.htm

rahulazcom said:
Unlike podiatrists, we can sit for the USMLE and apply to the allopathic (M.D.) match because our training is considered identical. As of now, they ACGME does not recognize your training as being identical.

I'm done with this. I'm going into surgery tomorrow (triple arthrodesis of an ankle) and I've got reading to do. Good luck to you in DO school. As I said, soon enough, you'll see how it all works and I think you'll be quite shocked! Until then, as long as I can prescribe meds, admit patients, medically/surgically manage my patients, and get paid a lot of money, I really don't care what you call me! On the other hand, next time the ER pages me, do you think I'd still have to go if I told them I wasn't a "real physician"? :laugh: Take care of those AZPOD boys for me.

rahulazcom said:
The chief of the hospital medical staff has more to do with policy and politics. Was this podiatrist the Chairman of Internal Medicine or Surgery? Was this podiatrist a chief resident or an attending giving orders to other medical students and residents. No, I didn't think so

You said "most" states so many states do not recognize podiatrists as physicians. Every state recognizes M.D.'s and D.O.'s as physicians.

And why don't you write to the people in charge of ERAS. Tell them you should be allowed to fill out of one these because you are a "physician"
http://www.aamc.org/audienceeras.htm
Actually, yes! Before that, he was the chief of surgery!!!!!!

jonwill said:
I'm done with this. Good luck to you. As I said, soon enough, you'll find out how it all works. And I think you'll be quite shocked! The bottom line is as long as I can prescribe drugs, admit patients, medically and surgically manage my patients, I really don't care what you call me.

How about a "Podiatrist" :laugh:

jonwill said:
Actually, yes! Before that, he was the chief of surgery!!!!!!

Proof? Sorry but I can't give you the benefit of the doubt on this issue. I'm open-minded but I'm not gullible.

If podiatrists want to call themselves physicians, I suggest they take that up with these two organizations

ttp://www.nrmp.org/

http://www.aamc.org/students/eras/about/start.htm

As of now, podiatrists can't participate in these. Again, I respect podiatrists. Many of the best students in our class our podiatry students. However, even these students are secure enough with themselves to not call themselves future physicians; they are proud to be podiatrists.

rahulazcom said:
Proof? Sorry but I can't give you the benefit of the doubt on this issue. I'm open-minded but I'm not gullible.

If podiatrists want to call themselves physicians, I suggest they take that up with these two organizations

ttp://www.nrmp.org/

http://www.aamc.org/students/eras/about/start.htm

As of now, podiatrists can't participate in these.
Maybe not gullible, but quite Naive. Just worry about part 1 of the COMLEX right now my friend. I'm quite positive that you'll be of a different mind when you get into the medical world. That would explain why no MS 3-4's, or residents are jumping in to help you out! Theoretical medicine and the real world are two different things! Good luck!

psionic_blast said:
Guess what, we do rotate thru various services E.R., Internal med, ortho, private practice, general surgery, plastics, derm, etc. it just dosen't happen the same time you have your rotations. I am glad to see that you give us some respect. This pissing contest is incredible waste of time. Future podiatric physician

well... what you are saying is the equivalant of an army grunt calling himself a navy seal... "duh, we both go through bootcamp and we both do plenty of situps... therefore i must be a navy seal". Although you may do some rotations through these, the same kinds of things are not being stressed. You are not taking the same shelf exams and you are not doing the same types of procedures. You are focusing on the foot.

jonwill said:
Maybe not gullible, but quite Naive. Just worry about part 1 of the COMLEX right now my friend. I'm quite positive that you'll be of a different mind when you get into the medical world. That would explain why no MS 3-4's, or residents are jumping in to help you out! Theoretical medicine and the real world are two different things! Good luck!

No, I'm just good at telling when someone is lying especially when they have lost an argument and are scrambling to save credibility. This is probably why you haven't provided a link backing up your claim when I asked for proof.

And I just researched the podiatry curriculum at Midwestern.

http://www.midwestern.edu/azpod/

just click on curriculum to the left. Compare there clinical schedule to the DO's at

http://www.midwestern.edu/azcom/

Again, the 3rd and 4th year curriculum is completely different. That is the only point that I and others have made. You have similar but not identical training which is why you shouldn't be referred to as a physician.

jonwill said:

I fear for your future patients. It are always the people who think they are physicians, without the proper training, that hurt people. There is a reason your scope of practice is limited to about 1/20th of the body (the foot)... it is because this is all your training prepares you for. You are not a physician- in the true sense of the word... sorry. If you wanted this, you should have retook some classes, boosted your GPA, retook the MCAT, and applied again to med school. Good Luck to you.

rahulazcom said:
Again, the 3rd and 4th year curriculum is completely different. That is the only point that I and others have made. You have similar but not identical training which is why you shouldn't be referred to as a physician.

For the same reasons an army grunt cannot call himself a navy seal. Although the training is similar, a physician's training is more rigorous & broader than a podiatrist's training.

unoriginal said:
I fear for your future patients. It are always the people who think they are physicians, without the proper training, that hurt people. There is a reason your scope of practice is limited to about 1/20th of the body (the foot)... it is because this is all your training prepares you for. You are not a physician- in the true sense of the word... sorry. If you wanted this, you should have retook some classes, boosted your GPA, retook the MCAT, and applied again to med school. Good Luck to you.

Look, another 1st year!!!! 1/20th? That could be said for any medical specialist. Don't fear for my CURRENT patients. I would never practice outside of my scope. That is the key word, "SCOPE". Every physician has one. As far as the stats go, any pod could have easily gone to a DO school.

unoriginal said:

we have a couple podiatrists in our class who did just that. it has to be weird going back to undergrad after podiatry school and taking MCAT. perhaps jonwill will eventually do this.... it reminds me of the guy who always has to buy the biggest truck to compensate... :smuggrin:

jonwill said:
Every physician has one. As far as the stats go, any pod could have easily gone to a DO school.

Why are the entrance stats for podiatry schools considerably lower than DO schools on average? Making up information again. I see you are quite good at that.

To be honest, I'm not sure if chiropractic schools have higher entrance stats than podiatry schools on average?

rahulazcom said:
Why are the entrance stats for podiatry schools considerably lower than DO schools on average? Making up information again. I see you are quite good at that.

To be honest, I'm not sure if chiropractic schools have higher entrance stats than podiatry schools on average?
DMU CPMS: 3.4 GPA, 23 MCAT (higher than some DO schools) No, I won't be doing anymore schooling after this. 4 years college + 4 years pod school + 3 year surgical residency is plenty of schooling for me. Besides, I really enjoy focusing on medicine and surgery of the lower extremity. Remember, you guys will one day specialize too.

fun8stuff said:
we have a couple podiatrists in our class who did just that. it has to be weird going back to undergrad after podiatry school and taking MCAT. perhaps jonwill will eventually do this.... it reminds me of the guy who always has to buy the biggest truck to compensate... :smuggrin:

Why should Jonwill go to medical school He can just join the mythical hospital where his mythical podiatrist was the Chief of Surgery who was giving orders to other medical students. :laugh:

rahulazcom said:
Why should Jonwill go to medical school He can just join the mythical hospital where his mythical podiatrist was the Chief of Surgery who was giving orders to other medical students. :laugh:
Contact Broadlawns Medical Center in Iowa and talk with the Chief. As far as Chiros go, I wouldn't knock them if I were you (OMM)!!!!

It's been fun chatting with you guys. I've got to read now so I don't get balled out in the OR tomorrow. Good luck to both of you.

jonwill said:
DMU CPMS: 3.4 GPA, 23 MCAT (higher than some DO schools) No, I won't be doing anymore schooling after this. 4 years college + 4 years pod school + 3 year surgical residency is plenty of schooling for me. Besides, I really enjoy focusing on medicine and surgery of the lower extremity. Remember, you guys will one day specialize too.

The class of 2009 boasted a 3.37 and a 22 MCAT

DMU will take the GRE and the DAT as a substitute for the MCAT.
http://www.dmu.edu/cpms/admissions/profile/

Yes, these stats are higher than a few DO schools but on average, DO schools entrance stats far outweigh Podiatry schools. Without going into detail about AZPOD's admissions, I will just say that if someone wanted to go to AZPOD, they could go to AZPOD. That's all I'm saying. :)

jonwill said:
Contact Broadlawns Medical Center in Iowa and talk with the Chief. As far as Chiros go, I wouldn't knock them if I were you (OMM)!!!!

The chief of the medical staff at Broadlawns Medical Center is Dr. Donald Jensen M.D. He is not a podiatrist. Would you like to try again? I wasn't knocking chiros or pods. I'm just stating the facts. Podiatry school may be less competitive to get into than chiropractic school.

http://www.broadlawns.org/medical_staff.htm

rahulazcom said:
DMU will take the GRE and the DAT as a substitute for the MCAT.

Wow. Looks like podiatry school is the ultimate backup school.. for those that can't get into med school, dental school, or graduate school.... they will except your exams! It's funny how he keeps say lower extremity. I think he just likes to use words that make podiatry sound better than it is. How about you just say "foot" and podiatrist.... and be truthful :smuggrin:

unoriginal said:
Wow. Looks like podiatry school is the ultimate backup school.. for those that can't get into med school, dental school, or graduate school.... they will except your exams! It's funny how he keeps say lower extremity. I think he just likes to use words that make podiatry sound better than it is. How about you just say "foot" and podiatrist.... and be truthful :smuggrin:

Let's keep in mind, we are arguing with a person who claimed a podiatrist was the chief of surgery at a teaching hospital. The same podiatrist who is an M.D. by the name of Donald Jenson, chief of staff at Broadlawns medical center in Des Moines, Iowa. :laugh:

The person he was referring to was Vincent Mandracchia, who is the section chief of podiatric medicine and the residency director for podiatric surgery at the program. These are impressive credentials but this is a far cry from being chief of surgery at the hospital. This was probably an old wives tale that got out of hand at DMU and pretty soon a guy who was the section chief of podiatry becomes the "chief of surgery" at this hospital. You know how the rumor mill goes....

Anyway, I'm going to end my involvement with this thread. I'm giving the impression that I don't respect podiatrists or podiatry students which is not the case. At the same time, I'm showing them no disrespect by stating that they should not be referred to as physicians. They don't have the identical education and training as a physician thus they should not be called one.

rahulazcom said:
Let's keep in mind, we are arguing with a person who claimed a podiatrist was the chief of surgery at a teaching hospital. The same podiatrist who is an M.D. by the name of Donald Jenson, chief of staff at Broadlawns medical center in Des Moines, Iowa. :laugh:

The person he was referring to was Vincent Mandracchia, who is the section chief of podiatric medicine and the residency director for podiatric surgery at the program. These are impressive credentials but this is a far cry from being chief of surgery at the hospital. This was probably an old wives tale that got out of hand at DMU and pretty soon a guy who was the section chief of podiatry becomes the "chief of surgery" at this hospital. You know how the rumor mill goes....

Anyway, I'm going to end my involvement with this thread. I'm giving the impression that I don't respect podiatrists or podiatry students which is not the case. At the same time, I'm showing them no disrespect by stating that they should not be referred to as physicians. They don't have the identical education and training as a physician thus they should not be called one.

wow, good detective work. yeah, i think it was obvious he was full of crap. i

I don't understand this whole debate with pods being called physicians. I view pods (I want to be one) like dentists...specialists in their area. When I was in law school there was a chiro. near where I lived who called himself a chiro. physician. I thought he was an MD/DC until I came to this site. Being called a physician for billing is acceptable in my opinion, but I would refrain from using the term when dealing with the public for the confusion it can create. I agree with one of the previous posters who said that pods lack the training of physicians. It makes sense since MD/DO students do 2 years of rotations plus their residency which is at minimum of 3 years. Being a pod and specializing in foot/ankle issues is nothing to be ashamed...it's still difficult schooling and important work. I will be proud to call myself a pod. and I hope the others on this site do too.