dentsim is a piece of crap...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cusp of carabelli

D.M.D.
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
has anyone else had this experience? i used dentsim a while ago and it showed what it said my prep looked like and i looked down and it totally wasn't even close to what it actually was. also you have to hold the handpiece in a funky way which is totally NOT how you would hold it in real life and the "slow speed" setting isn't very slow! all in all i think this tool need to be re-invented or scrapped. I feel bad for anyone who has to learn using this thing. I'm not the only one in my class that feels this way either....and i did pass my dentsim training session...so it's not sour grapes...

Members don't see this ad.

I've heard many similar complaints about the system and have never viewed it as a "positive" to add to a school's list. That isn't to say that it couldn't become a great learning tool, but for the reasons you mentioned, I think it is currently way off base.

It seems you aren't alone in your feelings.

cusp of carabelli said:
has anyone else had this experience? i used dentsim a while ago and it showed what it said my prep looked like and i looked down and it totally wasn't even close to what it actually was. also you have to hold the handpiece in a funky way which is totally NOT how you would hold it in real life and the "slow speed" setting isn't very slow! all in all i think this tool need to be re-invented or scrapped. I feel bad for anyone who has to learn using this thing. I'm not the only one in my class that feels this way either....and i did pass my dentsim training session...so it's not sour grapes...

You have no idea. My wrists are so sore after Dent Sim. We had two practicals on it and 28 different teeth/preps to turn in. Man, I think i'm getting carpel tunnel from that 2 pound drill.

However, we started Dent Sim before restorative lab and I think it really helped, especially with indirect vision and drill control. It is frustrating at times though.

DesiDentist

Members don't see this ad :)
Can somebody explain to me what exactly DenSim consists of? I am totally unfamiliar with it... but it sounds like it's getting glowing reviews! :p

dientesfuertes said:
Can somebody explain to me what exactly DenSim consists of? I am totally unfamiliar with it... but it sounds like it's getting glowing reviews! :p

Dent Sim is a very novel technology. It consists of a mankin head, high speed drill (which is 2 lbs or about 5-8 times heavier than a real high speed). The excess weight on the drill are diodes, and they detect the motion of the drill in real time. The entire unit is connected with a computer which scans the diodes and presents the user with a real time view of the prep. There are certain preps that are programmed into the computer, such as class I, II, basically everything. The computer has guidelines for each prep and matches them with your prep. You can stop at any time and click on "evaluation" and you will see an up to the minute result of your prep and a comparison with the "ideal" prep. after submission you can see your grade, or if the profs programs, you can see your grade side by side as you go along.

It is a good techology. I'm sure better units will be developed sooner. For more information go to www.denx.com

Also, the company is working on an "virtual" implant machine.

Good things to come,

DesiDentist

Yeah every second year I know is complaining about it, since they never started on it and cant seem to master it, maybe becuase they have the bad habits set in? True there are tons of problems with the computer programs, but there are tons of problems with windows, but people still use it becuase all in all it is worth it. Our preps are way better as we are held to a higher standard, and we were def ahead as we started using it from day one, and at least at our school, we wouldnt have till second semester otherwise. Our posture is also def better, which I noticed after 3 weeks in GRD lab as I started to slump, lean over etc, to get a better view of the prep.

We have a similar machine in our simlab, but the electronic scanning of the prep is done away from the workbench. For example, a standard prep is cut, and then scanned in the machine. Then, any other prep can be scanned in the machine and compared in 3-D to the standard prep.

So it isn't done in real-time like Dentsim, but the point is the same--to compare your work to the "ideal".