REH

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 4, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Dental Student
Hey Everyone,

Which schools have the DentSim simulator (http://www.denx.com/)? Personally, I think this is an amazing piece of technology.

I've seen it at Penn, Nova, Case, and Minnesota. Do you know where else they have it?

Thanks, and good luck to all.

REH

DentalGal2005

10+ Year Member
Jan 8, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Dental
vcu has it. i think there are 20 of them and the class gets broken up into groups and does rotations.

About the Ads

cjb04

10+ Year Member
Sep 4, 2008
Glendale, AZ
Status (Visible)
  1. Dental Student
If you explore their site, you will find it has a list of customers (schools), most of which are overseas. In North America, they have 40 Dentsim units at University of Tennessee, 20 at Minnesota, 20 at VCU, 15 at Penn, 10 at CASE, 6 at NOVA, 3 at Columbia, 2 at Temple, 2 at Stony Brooke, and 2 at University of Manitoba in Canada.

My question is, how much access do the students have to these dentsim units, especially at the schools with only a handful?

REH

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 4, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Dental Student
That's great info cjb04. Thanks for posting it. I think practicing on this unit beforehand would really ease the transition from the preclinic to the clinic. You would have immediate feedback, thus reducing the learning curve.

Sorry, I wish I could answer your question. Maybe some of the dstudents on here could chime in.

I'm somewhat surprised to see that more schools haven't adopted this technology, but I imagine these units are rather spendy.

REH.

Dr2BSoon

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 17, 2004
Detroit
Status (Visible)
  1. Dental Student
At UDM we were considering getting these units, but were informed that the company was in the process of filing for bankruptcy. So the schools that have them are going to be hard pressed to find replacement parts when these units start breaking and failing.

Wax n Relax

Triple Cocktail & Dreams
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 6, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Dentist
I am one of the fortunate dental students at the U of Minnesota that has the pleasure of using the new machines. Its pretty neat, tough though. I feel that i have got alot better with the handpiece through my sessions though. Our class of 98 was split into 6 groups, each group set for 5 two hour sessions. Its especially neat because this is only my first semester of d school and we already get handpiece experience.

DSpagnoli

10+ Year Member
Dec 2, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Dental Student
Hey Everyone,

Which schools have the DentSim simulator (http://www.denx.com/)? Personally, I think this is an amazing piece of technology.

I've seen it at Penn, Nova, Case, and Minnesota. Do you know where else they have it?

Thanks, and good luck to all.

REH

I hate these simulators, no offense. Really really really annoying and stupid piece of machinery. The best way to get a feel for a real handpiece and for preps is to use one on ivorine or real teeth. These machines are BS, and most dental students hate them. You will learn to hate them too one day

streptmutan

10+ Year Member
Nov 22, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Dental Student
I cannot speak for any other school, but at UT the D1s are on the dent simulators from the first day. They are really awesome and teach one the basics of proper posture while working. it uses lasers to monitor your position while using the hand piece. for example if you lean over too far it will beep and you know you messed up.It will also test your preps and teaches basic clinical skills. You dont get a grade for this course only pass or not, but they are really neat and helpful in exposing weaknesses from day 1. :thumbup:

armorshell

One Man Freak Show
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Apr 13, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Non-Student
I hate these simulators, no offense. Really really really annoying and stupid piece of machinery. The best way to get a feel for a real handpiece and for preps is to use one on ivorine or real teeth. These machines are BS, and most dental students hate them. You will learn to hate them too one day

Same thing I've heard from everyone who has used them. Pre-dents love these things because they're fancy and techie and sound great on paper, but their use doesn't really pan out IRL.

streptmutan

10+ Year Member
Nov 22, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Dental Student
Of course their use dosen't pan out IRL. The hand-piece is huge and 10/10 dentist today would fail the basic prep exam. They are not supposed to mimic real life. We know that we wont work on a number 14 every time. They are just used to prep us for clinical experience because every dental student didn't grow up in daddys office playing around with a handpiece and some schools thought it might be a good idea to expose all students to the handpiece from Day1 . Plus it looks really bad when your 3rd years cant hold a hand piece!:laugh:

DMDreaming

10+ Year Member
May 24, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Dental Student
I cannot speak for any other school, but at UT the D1s are on the dent simulators from the first day. They are really awesome and teach one the basics of proper posture while working. it uses lasers to monitor your position while using the hand piece. for example if you lean over too far it will beep and you know you messed up.It will also test your preps and teaches basic clinical skills. You dont get a grade for this course only pass or not, but they are really neat and helpful in exposing weaknesses from day 1. :thumbup:

Sounds good in theory but, if the machines aren't calibrated correctly, they are worthless. I've been on the simulator prepping a tooth and the feedback on the monitor was about 2mm off where I was actually prepping!
Also, I agree with the previous poster that the handpieces are not a good representation of a real one. They are much more bulky and are not weight balanced which gives you hand fatigue much more quickly. It also changes how you hold the handpiece. So even though they sound cool, they are limited in their effectiveness by calibration and design differences.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.