dentures stained incorrectly...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Supernova2008

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone ever received dentures back from the labratory that were stained incorrectly (meaning that they stained them a darker shade meant for an African American patient when they are a Caucasian patient) ? I got some dentures back from the lab today like this, and I'm wondering what I am going to have to do to get this corrected. Praying that I won't have to start over from the beginning...anyone else ever have this happen to them ?

Members don't see this ad.

Has anyone ever received dentures back from the labratory that were stained incorrectly (meaning that they stained them a darker shade meant for an African American patient when they are a Caucasian patient) ? I got some dentures back from the lab today like this, and I'm wondering what I am going to have to do to get this corrected. Praying that I won't have to start over from the beginning...anyone else ever have this happen to them ?

If the lab PROCESSED them with the darker (meharry) shaded acrylic, the only predictable way to get them with the lighter shaded(pinker) acrylic is to remake them:eek: If you tried something like soaking them in bleach, you'd see the entire outer surface of both the denture and denture teeth ending up with a frosty, dull appearance rather than the shiny one that is the norm.

...the darker (meharry) shaded acrylic...

holy crap, i just busted a gut...though we do our fair share of this particular shade here in Memphis...

Members don't see this ad :)
Can't you just do a rebase rather than having to go through the whole process again? Just a thought.

Rebase. It's very easy.

Ask the patient to put on a darker lipstick:laugh: Rebasing? Isn't that defined as replacing the denture base and using the same teeth in the same position? So wouldn't you end up with the same teeth?

But maybe...you can ask the lab if they can remove the just the anterior teeth and replace them with the correct shade without disturbing centric relation. Just an idea and I think that can be done. What do you guys think?

"Meharry...Yousally" you asked for it DrJeff;-)

Ivorinedust

"Apolonia, relieve my toothache!"

Ask the patient to put on a darker lipstick:laugh: Rebasing? Isn't that defined as replacing the denture base and using the same teeth in the same position? So wouldn't you end up with the same teeth?

But maybe...you can ask the lab if they can remove the just the anterior teeth and replace them with the correct shade without disturbing centric relation. Just an idea and I think that can be done. What do you guys think?

"Meharry...Yousally" you asked for it DrJeff;-)

Ivorinedust

"Apolonia, relieve my toothache!"

they are talking about the shade of the acrylic base being too dark

Does anyone know how much it costs to have a set of complete dentures rebased ? Also, will the rebasing compromise the fit of the denture in any way ?

"the darker (meharry) shaded acrylic":laugh:

Yeah, but to be a true Meharry denture, you need masel gold crowns replacing the conventional acrylic max anterior teeth.

you can have the lab make a duplicate denture in the correct shade, most labs can do this easily. An outside lab will charge about 100.00 to rebase a denture

"the darker (meharry) shaded acrylic":laugh:

Yeah, but to be a true Meharry denture, you need masel gold crowns replacing the conventional acrylic max anterior teeth.

its so hard to choose between the moon cutout, or the star or the heart...too many ways to freshen your grill...thats why my professional opinion is always to recommend one of each.