Question regarding dentures and articulator settings

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ir3nicus

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can someone with a good understanding of prosth please help me out? What is the point of having the incisal guide pin being placed on "0" with the pin touching the incisal table in the exact center while setting teeth for a denture? Is there ever a time these settings would not be accurate? I realize this may be a dumb question but I seem to be struggling a lot with prosth and I would truly appreciate some assistance. Thank you in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Assuming that the facebow transfer, cast mounting and centric bite are correct with the guide pin placed on zero and the centered on the table. The mounted models mimic the patients maxilla and mandible in centric relation with an acceptable vertical dimension. That reference point should not change when you have completed setup of the denture teeth in centric occlusion. When done correctly the posterior teeth in the denture setup and completed denture should occlude fully when placed in the patients mouth and in centric (position) occlusion. The width, vertical and medio -lateral inclination of the condylar adjustments (assuming your articulator has these) will effect the inclination of the posterior teeth when trying to establish a bilaterally balanced occlusion.

Assuming that the facebow transfer, cast mounting and centric bite are correct with the guide pin placed on zero and the centered on the table. The mounted models mimic the patients maxilla and mandible in centric relation with an acceptable vertical dimension. That reference point should not change when you have completed setup of the denture teeth in centric occlusion. When done correctly the posterior teeth in the denture setup and completed denture should occlude fully when placed in the patients mouth and in centric (position) occlusion. The width, vertical and medio -lateral inclination of the condylar adjustments (assuming your articulator has these) will effect the inclination of the posterior teeth when trying to establish a bilaterally balanced occlusion.

Thank you very much for your thorough reply. Essentially the zero is just a reference point, then, correct? It has no real significance other than that zero mark is easy to distinguish? If I mounted everything at -1, for example, and then setup the denture teeth with the pin at -1, it would make no difference as long as the pin is in the same spot?

Thank you very much for your thorough reply. Essentially the zero is just a reference point, then, correct? It has no real significance other than that zero mark is easy to distinguish? If I mounted everything at -1, for example, and then setup the denture teeth with the pin at -1, it would make no difference as long as the pin is in the same spot?

Correct. It is mainly a point of reference. But important to know if you are altering the vertical dimension.