SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Denver White coat?

Discussion in 'Emergency Medicine' started by vacoug, Apr 25, 2007.

1. vacoug

vacoug Banned Banned 7+ Year Member

Mar 2, 2007
    Land of Arches and Snow
    Can anyone tell me what length of white coat medical students wear at denver. I am going there for an away rotation. At my school we use long white coats which has its pluses and minuses. A plus when a cute nurse is looking to flirt with a doctor, a minus when theres a code and they throw you in the room to run it. Anyways, I just don't want to stick out as the student that dresses like an attending. Thanks:D

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. GeneralVeers

GeneralVeers Globus Hystericus Physician 10+ Year Member

Mar 19, 2005
    Las Vegas

You're in the ER. You shouldn't wear a white coat. If you wear one, either you're not working hard enough, or getting dirty enough.

4. Apollyon

Apollyon Screw the GST Physician Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Nov 24, 2002
    SCREW IT!
    Wrong. If you're so sloppy you are getting blood and body fluids on you every day, you need to be more careful.

The white coat is a personal decision (and then over scrubs or not), and, I can tell you, in our 100K+ community hospital ED in an otherwise academic facility, I certainly work my butt off, and am not splashing BBF on myself.

I understand where you're coming from, but this is a student, and you're painting a "one size fits all" picture concretely, when it's not a concrete answer. I don't even know - do they require a coat at Denver for students? If they do, your answer is not applicable.

5. RxnMan

RxnMan Who, me? A doctor? Moderator Emeritus 7+ Year Member

I volunteered there for two years and the only people who wore white coats were attendings.

Proviso: I am not a CU student. Best thing to do would be to talk to the CU student rotation coordinator and ask them how CU students are expected to dress.

6. streetdoc

streetdoc Senior Member 10+ Year Member

May 13, 2002
    The Tundra
    I rotated there last summer and the students (residents and attendings as well) typically didn't wear coats...at least none that i saw.
    enjoy your month!
    where are you staying? whose your mentor?
    streetdoc

7. Dr.McNinja

Dr.McNinja Nobel War Prize Winner Moderator Physician Faculty 10+ Year Member

Aug 2, 2006
    Texas
    The school will give you a dress code. All of my away rotations did. One said matching scrubs only, one said dress clothes, one said no thongs, they're really quite funny.

One did say short white coat though.

8. SoCuteMD

SoCuteMD 10+ Year Member

Nov 28, 2005
    No more rounding!
    Where? I'm not rotating there.

j/k.

9. GeneralVeers

GeneralVeers Globus Hystericus Physician 10+ Year Member

Mar 19, 2005
    Las Vegas
    You need a better sarcasm detector. I was making a witty, but not serious observation.

10. Apollyon

Apollyon Screw the GST Physician Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Nov 24, 2002
    SCREW IT!
    That's under advisement.

True dat. But YOU need an extra shift to think about what you've done!

11. Dr.McNinja

Aug 2, 2006
    Texas
    We had a big discussion about it, and we ended up assuming it meant flip flops, because otherwise it didn't make any sense.
    However, it also said to wear white underwear under white pants (directly below the unicolor scrubs instructions), so whom knows?

12. StudentDoc327

StudentDoc327 Member 10+ Year Member

Jul 18, 2004

LOL yeah I rotated at the same place. The clerkship director told us that not wearing thongs has been in the dress code for such a long time and they just haven't changed it. He specificaly told us the 'thongs' referred to were of the footwear variety and everything else was our own business.

13. totalbodypain

totalbodypain banana bag in hand Physician Faculty 10+ Year Member

Sep 14, 2005
    Tucson, Arizona
    Coats, if you wear one as a student are short at Denver Health or any of the CU rotation sites.
    Hope that helps,
    TBP

14. vacoug

vacoug Banned Banned 7+ Year Member

Mar 2, 2007
    Land of Arches and Snow
    Thanks for the info. I am staying with my sister in-law out in rockborough, ie. the middle of nowhere and they haven't assigned me my mentor yet. By the way, any Denver specific advice?:thumbup:

15. Dr.Evil1

Dr.Evil1 Senior Member 7+ Year Member

Dec 6, 2004
    Myrtle Beach, SC
    No, I'm sure that it actually meant underwear. You have to remember that about 3 or 4 years ago before they came up with low rise underwear to match with the low rise pants it was a thong party every time women wore tight stylish pants. God, I miss those days.

16. BadVB750

BadVB750 Senior Member 10+ Year Member

Apr 23, 2002
    America
    Sometimes it is also a nightmare. Girls that stand 5'2" and weigh as much as 6'4" line backer shouldn't wear skinny jeans with leopard print thongs. At least I think she was a female.

17. Dr.McNinja

Aug 2, 2006
    Texas
    What are those, did you skin a cheetah?

18. BadVB750

BadVB750 Senior Member 10+ Year Member

Apr 23, 2002
    America
    No, but I did throw up in my mouth a little.

19. AmoryBlaine

AmoryBlaine the last tycoon 7+ Year Member

May 1, 2006
    I've seen girls like you describe sort of park the side-strips of the thong on top of the fat roll spilling over the top of the tight pants. It seems like a very convenient and well-functioning strategy.

20. Dr.McNinja

Aug 2, 2006
    Texas
    That is called a muffin-top.

21. SewerRat

SewerRat Member 7+ Year Member

Nov 27, 2003
    as one of the Denver residents:
    either no coat or a short one.

make sure to show your whale tail either way